Nobody Cares if it's Off Topic

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
We used to earn a Starbucks star for each purchase. We accumulated them until we had enough for a "free" drink. We also received a "free" drink during the couple of weeks surrounding our birthday. It was a nice rewards program. It was peaceful and we frequented Starbucks when we were in a town that had one.

Then a marketing firm took the reigns. Suddenly we earned a star per dollar spent but they expire after some period of time...expire :rolleyes: and they added multiple daily emails and texts...texts :rolleyes: expounding deals and contests and offers to earn or purchase...purchase :rolleyes: more expiring stars. Then, to add insult to insult, the birthday drink is only available on your birthday, not one day before, not one day after.

All notifications are deactivated. My app balance is zero. It'll probably stay that way until I need the real estate and delete the app altogether.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
Apparently it was supposed to send people to a promotional game that gave out stars for free stuff.

It“s why I turn off notifications and emails after a while (once I get whatever it is they give out for subscribing). Companies really don’t how the amount of marketing they send is effing ridiculous. An email every day or two is the norm.

Hi Isabelle! 20% off today on sweaters!
Good news, Isabelle! There’s still time for the sale!
A surprise for you, Isabelle! Another sale!
Blah blah blah, Isabelle!

WTF? Most finally just turn them completely off.
Imagine if they sent only one a month. They’d retain so many more potential custimers.
Yeah, I've become pretty numb to the notifications I get on my phone. One of these days I'm going to spend a few hours just unsubscribing from shit. I already turned off notifications from Newsbreak and Quora, and it's really cut down on the noise some.

• 1Like
Reactions: Isabeau
SL Rez
SLU Posts
Apparently it was supposed to send people to a promotional game that gave out stars for free stuff.

It“s why I turn off notifications and emails after a while (once I get whatever it is they give out for subscribing). Companies really don’t how the amount of marketing they send is effing ridiculous. An email every day or two is the norm.
Certain apps are a problem, such as cvs. I do want notifications when my prescriptions are ready. I don't want their other crap. It isn't apparent which notifications from them I need to turn off. It's an annoyance but whatever.

• 2Agree
Reactions: Govi and Free

CronoCloud Creeggan

Redheaded
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
07-25-2012
SLU Posts
  • 1Agree

Free

When The Onion asks, I answer.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Seems one AMC exec needs to learn about the internet.

AMC Exec: We Wouldn't Have Made the Dune Popcorn Bucket if We Knew You'd Be Sickos About It
Dune Part Two has been a huge hit, and perhaps only one thing could eclipse it in infamy: the viral AMC sandworm popcorn bucket that had everyone talking... and doing other things. Looking back, it appears the theater chain/increasing novelty popcorn holder vendor might have done things very differently if it knew it was going to become a moment.

“We continue to learn and evolve. We would have never imagined the Dune thing. We would have never created it knowing it would be celebrated or mocked,” AMC Chief Content Officer Elizabeth Frank told Variety about the overwhelming response to the sandworm bucket, which even got cast and crew talking for its, uh... soft, wormy tendrils, driving people to go crazy with demand for the shai-hulussy-shaped vessel.

Noodles

☑️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
Sometimes I feel like a lot of my frustration lately is I am tired of my job.

Like I don't hate it, it's easy, but it's boring. And on top of that, I can't really do something else, because I probably would not make as much as I do here, elsewhere. Not without moving elsewhere, which I don't want to do.

Anyway, just a little vent while I am bored here.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts

Like I don't hate it, it's easy, but it's boring. And on top of that, I can't really do something else, because I probably would not make as much as I do here, elsewhere. Not without moving elsewhere, which I don't want to do.

What kind of job do you have? What do you do?

Noodles

☑️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
What kind of job do you have? What do you do?
I take care of a data center for a large telecom (one of many data centers). I also take care of a lot of little side projects for people in my group. It's not a particularly important or large data center so it's also not real bustling with new install work. Most of the actual work is just upkeep sort of activities.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
I take care of a data center for a large telecom (one of many data centers). I also take care of a lot of little side projects for people in my group. It's not a particularly important or large data center so it's also not real bustling with new install work. Most of the actual work is just upkeep sort of activities.
Sounds like there'd be an awful lot of quiet time until something breaks. I work the help desk. Never a dull moment there.

Noodles

☑️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
Sounds like there'd be an awful lot of quiet time until something breaks. I work the help desk. Never a dull moment there.
Yeah, it's super slow a lot of the time, and since there is down time, I keep things pretty clean, which in turn makes it slow because things fail less from foreign particles or whatever. (I have had people comment that the room here is way cleaner than other sites).

Isabeau

Merdeuse
Gadget I would feel weird using out in public but am thinking of getting.

This is the hands-free fan that comfortably sits on your neck to help keep you cool. Ideal for use while working out, landscaping, or combating hot flashes, it has two five-bladed fans on each end and provides a constant breeze that can be angled to target your face, neck, or chest. With three speeds and quiet operation. A full charge using the included USB cable powers the fan for up to 7 hours on low; 2 1/2 hours on high.

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
Isn't that Hammacher Schlemmer's business model?

Free

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Noodles

☑️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
Gadget I would feel weird using out in public but am thinking of getting.

Can you crank it up so you can have "fabulous blowey hair" all the time like in a movie?

• 1Interesting
  • 1LOL
Reactions: Govi and Isabeau

Free

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
When *someone* decides to go with the "social entrepreneur" for your school's commencement speech.

The committee did not recommend Pan. His name was nowhere to be seen in the list of 79 names originally considered by the committee after the recommendation period. After soliciting recommendations.

That list included names like former Buckeye football coach Jim Tressel, Vice President Kamala Harris, ice cream tyrant Jeni Britton Bauer, MacArthur Fellow Hanif Abdurraqib, NBA All-Star LeBron James, Ukranian president Volodymyr Zelenskyy and Columbus-born restauranteur Guy Fieri.

The committee member stressed the work that went into whittling the list down.
But they're only an advisory committee, and someone has got to choose. You can't go wrong by choosing an unknown cryptocurrency influencer, can you?

• 1WTF??

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
The mood on campus:

Our University President happens to be on the board of a "zero carbon" Bitcoin miner. And then we get some asshole pushing Crypto at graduation.

• 1Facepalm
Reactions: Beebo Brink

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez

For what it is worth, this exactly describes my situation for a few years prior to retirement. I had a hodge-podge of tasks related to intranet maintenance, and I was well compensated for my work. My duties were no longer challenging (although, to be honest, I had reached a point in my life where I really wasn't up to any challenges anymore). The biggest problem was the boredom. I dutifully logged in to work in the morning -- and I would immediately jump on any problem or request that came my way -- but there would inevitably be long periods of nothing happening.

I just kept reminding myself "First world problem" and counting the days to retirement.

Lexxi

meow
SL Rez
Joined SLU
12-14-2007
SLU Posts
When *someone* decides to go with the "social entrepreneur" for your school's commencement speech.

But they're only an advisory committee, and someone has got to choose. You can't go wrong by choosing an unknown cryptocurrency influencer, can you?
"ice cream tyrant Jeni Britton Bauer"? Ice cream . . . tyrant?

ETA: Oh. Columbus' Ice Cream Queen Got Rich Off Treating Workers Like Shit

Last edited: