Nobody Cares if it's Off Topic

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
LOL that's the kind of solution that's so easy it makes you want to kick yourself for not getting it
LSL scripting is often like that -- when I see the answer to a problem that's been puzzling me for ages, it usually turns out to be a very simple and elegant solution, which I didn't see earlier because I was looking at things from the wrong angle and asking the wrong questions.

SL Rez
SLU Posts
LSL scripting is often like that -- when I see the answer to a problem that's been puzzling me for ages, it usually turns out to be a very simple and elegant solution, which I didn't see earlier because I was looking at things from the wrong angle and asking the wrong questions.
I've found that is often true with programming on the general. On the other hand, sometimes it just turns into a goddamn spaghetti mess that gets torn down and restarted or just sits there depending on its priority.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Katheryne Helendale

danielravennest

SLU Posts
How can a monolith be made from metal?
They are calling it that because of the similarity to the Monolith in the film 2001. And like the apes we are, people have to go up to it and touch it. In the book 2001 it is described as frictionless, cannot be drilled into, and emits no radiation, so they don't know what it is made of. Certainly not stone.

As an engineer I could call these new artifacts triangular steel columns. In land surveying you see "monuments", which mark property boundaries. Either the monument itself is the marker, or in this photo below, its there to help you find the stake with the yellow cap which the actual boundary. As these things are neither structural or survey-related, I would call them abstract art.

danielravennest

SLU Posts
When I lived in the Seattle area, which is a boating mecca, I came across a sign that read "Caution: Boats Overhead", which I found hysterically funny. The Pacific coast is typically steep, so boat ramps are not useful. Instead they use a bridge crane to pick up the boat, then take it over the edge to set it in the water:

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
When I lived in the Seattle area, which is a boating mecca, I came across a sign that read "Caution: Boats Overhead", which I found hysterically funny.
And this, of course.

Free

Antifa-tigued
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
The cat has been an object of fascination and joy for generations.

Jennifer Wrightsman, now 43, remembers seeing it en route to her grandma’s house on weekends in the early ‘80s. Her mom would point it out every time they passed, and now she does the same thing with her own boys, ages 3 and 7.

The cat — white, ceramic, and vaguely terrified-looking — appears to claw its way toward the peak of the roof at Adams & Jennings Funeral Home at 6900 N Nebraska Ave. as it has, nearly uninterrupted, for seven decades.

Free

Antifa-tigued
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Free

Antifa-tigued
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

EDIT: Another one clipped. Apparently it's that time of year.

Last edited:
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Veritable Quandry