Nobody Cares if it's Off Topic

Free

Antifa-tigued
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
>> He struggled so terribly with abstinence that an angel visited and gave him permission to have wine and beer.

I suspect that wasn't an angel...

• 1Beer
Reactions: Innula Zenovka

Rose Karuna

Old and Cranky Xherdan
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
A while back, my husband's best friend and his wife visited us and I got to meet them for the first time (pre-COVID). We were supposed to visit them this summer but COVID postponed it. She and I both love old stuff that was passed down from our families. When she was here, I showed her the 4 (Libby silver leaf) water glasses that my Mom collected in the late 50's, early 60's from a soap company that gave them away free if you bought their soap. I've held on to them over the years, mostly because they reminded me of her and because they were pretty too. Today, I got a package in the mail and they sent me the rest of the set; wine glasses, goblets and liquor glasses. I never even knew those existed. It was just such a thoughtful thing to do and in the mists of lock downs and all that sort of thing, it really made my day. :flower:

Noodles

Queen of Ramen
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
Well, did you vote? Dems aren't going to be able to steal the election with massive voter fraud without the help of Europe!

/s, or something.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Posting this here instead of in the RIP thread for Randi, because it's a measured critique of him as a man and some of his beliefs, and might ruffle some feathers.

James Randi & The Horror of the Skeptic Movement
I'd left the whole business before 2013 so I missed the comments of his that she's talking about, luckily. Even so, I don't disagree with her perspectives about the "skeptic movement". It's a good piece, thank you for linking it.

Sovereignty

SL Rez
Pandemic Or Not, Experts Need To Be Self-Aware And Humble

An interview of a philosopher who might be trespassing into sociology or public health. His claim to fame is "writing about the dangers of 'epistemic trespassing' (where an expert in one field moves into a different field and passes judgment) ."

We are sometimes bad at figuring things out—and we don’t even figure that out. Instead, we end up overconfident or dogmatic, unable to listen to other people or learn from new ideas. What’s so interesting is that we are eager and quick to judge others’ defects, but not our own. Wisely assessing our own beliefs and intellectual capacities doesn’t come easily. How can our intellectual self-scrutiny be more serious and rigorous?
Fixed that quote for him.

Sovereignty

SL Rez

Cued to the Allegretto, music for waiting in suspense before Election Day.
Less than 10 minutes. Don't go past the Allegretto ... unless you just want to.

• 1Love
Reactions: Govi

Rose Karuna

Old and Cranky Xherdan
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Good commonsense advice from my 7 year old niece: "Never accept a dinner invitation from a cannibal."

The comment came completely out of left field and after about five seconds of silence the whole zoom room erupted into laughter.