Nobody Cares if it's Off Topic

Free

she/feline
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Back in the 1980s, Yosemite National Park was having a serious problem with bears: They would wander into campgrounds and break into the garbage bins. This put both bears and people at risk. So the Park Service started installing armored garbage cans that were tricky to open -- you had to swing a latch, align two bits of handle, that sort of thing. But it turns out it's actually quite tricky to get the design of these cans just right. Make it too complex and people can't get them open to put away their garbage in the first place.

Said one park ranger, "There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists."
Found here.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

Monica Dream

Welcome Year Zero
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2010
SLU Posts
Me @ 8:03 AM: do I really want to get up? Maybe I should just see if I can go back to sleep for an hour or two...
Alaska @ 8:05AM:

...seriously, I was like mostly asleep and wasn't sure if I even felt it for real or not until I saw the article! :D:D:D

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Me @ 8:03 AM: do I really want to get up? Maybe I should just see if I can go back to sleep for an hour or two...
Alaska @ 8:05AM:

...seriously, I was like mostly asleep and wasn't sure if I even felt it for real or not until I saw the article! :D:D:D
Monica what on earth is going on with your mayor and that news anchor? Everything new thing I read it gets crazier and crazier.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Maggy Hazelnut

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts

Maggy Hazelnut

Cat Herder
Joined SLU
March 2009
SLU Posts
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Dakota Tebaldi

Monica Dream

Welcome Year Zero
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2010
SLU Posts
Monica what on earth is going on with your mayor and that news anchor? Everything new thing I read it gets crazier and crazier.
I'm honestly not sure wtf ...

An interesting twist is that the Kriners fought an intense legal battle to stay open during the plague (and ultimately lost);

It's not impossible that they're taking advantage of this. That said, it's still his fault for not keeping it in his pants.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Dakota Tebaldi

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
I love that in the middle of what is obviously a lavish ceremony, they let the kids be kids, and the groom is just as encouraging and interactive with them as the bride. That is awesome.

Sovereignty

SL Rez
Prejudice From Thin Air: The Effect of Emotion on Automatic Intergroup Attitudes
Using different measures of automatic attitudes, two experiments support our contentionthat incidental feelings of anger can create automatic prejudice against outgroups. Because this effect was not produced by a different negative emotion that is functionally less relevant tointergroup cognition (e.g., sadness), the results are inconsistent with a simple valence-basedinterpretation of emotional bias. We believe that anger, because of its basic association with intergroup competition and conflict, evoked a psychological readiness to evaluate outgroups negatively vis-à-vis ingroups, thus creating from thin air an automatic prejudice against the outgroup.
Wikipedia (where I came across this) summarizes as follows.
In inter-group relationships, anger makes people think in more negative and prejudiced terms about outsiders. Anger makes people less trusting, and slower to attribute good qualities to outsiders.
I would emphasize that the idea of the authors is that this happens for whatever reason people are angry. The prejudice, in their view, can exist independently of any past experience with outsiders. Instead it arises from how the emotional state of being angry affects one's predisposition towards being prejudiced.

I don't know how good this research really is, but the idea is interesting. It seems plausible to me because anger is so poorly differentiated. Have a bad day at work? Go home and kick the cat.

Note that what they mean by prejudice manifests in a non-systematic, non-cultural way. It is not full-fledged racism or bigotry. However, I could see a group of people with above average levels of anger rationalizing an automatic prejudice towards outsiders by adopting some narrative or other that makes the prejudice socially acceptable within their group. Of course, this is all speculative.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Govi