Nobody Cares if it's Off Topic

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts

Twitter thread here -- something very British about this whole story

LOL yeah Aleister Crowley literally started a cult just so he could get laid a lot, which come to think of it is probably how most cults start. I'm kind of really surprised that the OTO is that popular in 2020 though. Unless like literally every single member fully recognizes that it's just a swingers' club and the "magic" stuff is purely theatrical. Then it makes more sense. ^^

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
I'd forgotten about this one. The popsicle twins on the gong swow. How this ever got on over the air tv. Nsfw.
Never having heard of the popsicle twins, I consulted Google, and found this, from an article about the creator of The Gong Show, Chuck Barris, a fascinating man whom the article argues is the ultimate ancestor of reality TV because of this insight:

"Game shows have always operated on the premise that ordinary people are the stars of the show," says Steven Stark, author of "Glued to the Set: The 60 Television Shows That Made Us Who We Are Today," "but he raised it to an art form in the sense that you don't just show ordinary people in favorable circumstances -- you may do badly on a quiz show but you still look OK anyway -- but you can humiliate them and they'll still go on, for their 15 minutes of fame or whatever."

Anyway, The Popsicle Twins and how they made it on air:

Also in 1978, the Popsicle Twins appeared on "The Gong Show." Barris used to keep the NBC censors off the show's back by throwing sacrifices at them -- acts he knew the censors wouldn't approve, but that would distract them from the acts he wanted on the air. The Popsicle Twins were one of the stooges, but the censors didn't get the dirty joke, so the Twins made it onto the show.

The act was officially called "Have You Got a Nickel?" Two barefoot teenage girls (who weren't twins) walked onstage, giggling abashedly, wearing shorts and T-shirts. Each of them sat down cross-legged and, to the tune of "I'm in the Mood for Love," proceeded to fellate an orange popsicle. Phyllis Diller gave them a 0. Jamie Farr gave them a 2. Jaye P. Morgan (who would later be fired for flashing her breasts on camera) said, "That's how I got my start," and gave them a 10. She was rewarded with one of their popsicles.

"I'm fairly certain that's when I first thought of chucking it all and moving to the south of France," Barris would later write.

bubblesort

Oh yeah, the gong show was awesome. The revival a couple of years ago wasn't too bad. It was fun to see Mike Myers impersonate Barris, but it just wasn't the same. They put the focus on the judges, just like American Idol or something, which is boring, so ratings dropped and they got cancelled after 2 seasons. They advertised that they were auditioning for 'talent' in my town at one point, and I was all trying to figure out an act, to see if I can come up with something so bad they actually reject it, but they cancelled the auditions from lack of interest.

They had some fun acts in the revival, though.

Free

butt stuff guru
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
5/2009
SLU Posts
Sound!

• 1Like
Reactions: Govi

Govi

feral ballerina