Nobody Cares if it's Off Topic

SL Rez
SLU Posts
My mom died when I was 14 years old. Her name was Beverly. She was named after our grandfather clock. The clock hasn't worked for decades. I got it repaired. I really wanted to make a video of it, but have been going through emotional turmoil lately without the time to figure out how.

I am not very familiar with making videos. I've used Shotcut for that on a very basic level but video editing takes some time to learn. I got the still and moving pieces into a folder with an offer. Sauron from the shotcut forum put them together for me since I didn't know how - for free just asking if I liked it to donate to shotcut which I did. Lovely!

I'd post this in Nobody Cares, who dis? but I want it to be publically visible.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
marked safe from the high buzz on the subway

It probably is not news to anyone but as you get older your range of hearing gets smaller. Generally someone who is older can not hear as high as someone much younger. Well, I buck those trends in a big way.

My lower end is lousier than the average but my upper end is somewhere around what you would expect for a teenager.

Coming home something started a high buzz on the train. Most likely a bad component in an electronic device or something.

I looked around, everyone was at least 30 and did not seem to notice. Meanwhile I was silently cursing them and trying to figure out a way to get my elbows in my ears.

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
While I was driving home on Olentangy River Road tonight heading through campus, I spotted something round and grey and suspiciously hat-like in the middle of the four-lane road, exactly on the yellow stripe where it was relatively safe from passing cars. Traffic was light, so I pulled a U-turn and stopped, scooping it up from the driver's seat in a quick maneuver. It was, in point of fact, a hat. A rather nice grey bowler with a bit of scuffing from hitting the road, I assume from the pedestrian overpass a bit north of the crash site. I looked around and saw no one pointedly hatless, and drove around to the parking lot at the end of the bridge. No one there was looking both dapper and a bit panicked at the loss of the fine hat. So I have rehomed it.

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
I never knew this was a thing until just now, but I could definitely go for this!

I celebrate No Bra Day at least 360 days a year. I was prohibited from wearing one during recovery from open heart surgery, as my sternum healed. And then I never got back in the habit of wearing one.

Free

Kamilah is stalking me
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
May 2009
SLU Posts
SL Rez
SLU Posts
marked safe from the high buzz on the subway

It probably is not news to anyone but as you get older your range of hearing gets smaller. Generally someone who is older can not hear as high as someone much younger. Well, I buck those trends in a big way.

My lower end is lousier than the average but my upper end is somewhere around what you would expect for a teenager.

Coming home something started a high buzz on the train. Most likely a bad component in an electronic device or something.

I looked around, everyone was at least 30 and did not seem to notice. Meanwhile I was silently cursing them and trying to figure out a way to get my elbows in my ears.
Lucky for you in other ways though. I can't hear much of the cymbals in music any more.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
Now I want to get a t-shirt that says "I am well and truly gruntled", and watch the heads of passers-by as they try to parse what it says.

• 2Like
Reactions: Clara D. and Free

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
The weird hipstery guy yelling about how horrible your soap/shampoo/other-hygiene-product is, has officially supplanted Udemy as the most irritating freaking ads on YouTube and I now refuse to buy any of this company's products on principle.

I mean, sure honestly I click "skip" on pretty much every ad as soon as it lets me; but when this company's ads pop up I'll literally reload the page just to get a different ad to watch 5 second of. Any other ad.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Govi

danielravennest

SLU Posts
The weird hipstery guy yelling about how horrible your soap/shampoo/other-hygiene-product is, has officially supplanted Udemy as the most irritating freaking ads on YouTube and I now refuse to buy any of this company's products on principle.

I mean, sure honestly I click "skip" on pretty much every ad as soon as it lets me; but when this company's ads pop up I'll literally reload the page just to get a different ad to watch 5 second of. Any other ad.
I never see YouTube ads. Firefox + NoScript + Ublock Origin for the win, with selective scripts allowed to make the site work. Google ad services is one of the blocked scripts.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
I have Ghostery which works great on most things, but I can't turn off Google ad services blanket because there's too many websites that just won't let me use them if I block anything, even trackers.

danielravennest

SLU Posts
I have Ghostery which works great on most things, but I can't turn off Google ad services blanket because there's too many websites that just won't let me use them if I block anything, even trackers.
NoScript and Ublock have "per site" settings. You can selectively allow or block on a given website. I rarely will "temporarily allow scripts" if I really want to see something, but that applies to just the current session.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Clara D.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts

When you came, you said to me as follows: “I will give Gimil-Sin (when he comes) fine quality copper ingots.” You left then but you did not do what you promised me. You put ingots that were not good before my messenger (Sit-Sin) and said: “If you want to take them, take them; if you do not want to take them, go away!” What do you take me for, that you treat somebody like me with such contempt....Take cognizance that (from now on) I will not accept here any copper from you that is not of fine quality. I shall (from now on) select and take the ingots individually in my own yard, and I shall exercise against you my right of rejection because you have treated me with contempt.

• 1Like
Reactions: Isabeau