Nobody Cares: Gaming Edition

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
My beginner plant:

In the center background is the copper works. That raised platform in the back left is the old biomass power plant that I haven't torn down yet; the biomass processing chain is underneath it. In the foreground are all the iron smelters and rod makers.

The rest of the iron works in front, the new coal power plant in the background, and the Space Elevator at the very left edge. I've got some assemblers over there making smart plates and frames.

I've just brought some more coal down from another node, along with a bunch more iron, so I'm finally ready to start on steel. But before I do that, I'm going to basically rearrange everything in those screenshots ^^. I think I want to make a single centralized ore processing area with all of the smelters and foundries, and then just belt the ingots to the different factory areas rather than belting ore everywhere and having smelters all over the place.

Jopsy Pendragon

If you can't dazzle'm with dexterity...
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
let me know when your preparing for the end game reactor..
My first fuel rod going into the nuclear reactor!

Completely automated from mine to reactor. :D And it doubled my power availability the moment it came online. :)

So, yeah, as if filling the skies with sooty coal smoke from the power plants I'm going to leave online... to amassing stockpiles of radioactive waste... my little alien planet is quickly becoming a nasty little mess. :)

Clearly the proper thing to do is to set up a truck station near one of the bottomless chasms, have it autoload vehicles with toxic waste that you then drive toward the edge and then bail out before it goes over. ;) (or just leave all your stuff in a storage chest and go over with the truck. ;)

Next, run power/supplies through a new rail line to a new place to expand, start making Mk3 Miners... and explore the wilderness. :)

• 1Love
Reactions: Kalel

Kalel

hypnotized
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
My first fuel rod going into the nuclear reactor!

Completely automated from mine to reactor. :D And it doubled my power availability the moment it came online. :)

So, yeah, as if filling the skies with sooty coal smoke from the power plants I'm going to leave online... to amassing stockpiles of radioactive waste... my little alien planet is quickly becoming a nasty little mess. :)

Clearly the proper thing to do is to set up a truck station near one of the bottomless chasms, have it autoload vehicles with toxic waste that you then drive toward the edge and then bail out before it goes over. ;) (or just leave all your stuff in a storage chest and go over with the truck. ;)

Next, run power/supplies through a new rail line to a new place to expand, start making Mk3 Miners... and explore the wilderness. :)
was a pain to automate everything first time we did it cause we had to do it so far away from our main base... we had it go to a field of interconnected Large chests in the middle of no where.... we did the math, by the time that thing fills up we be long done with the game.

i honestly think we work for a skynet like program and all these resources are feeding to a secret location where they are building a death star... why send stupid inefficient humans fully equipped to unknown planets to harvest all their natural resources to only feed them the information they need to get the job done?

Jopsy Pendragon

If you can't dazzle'm with dexterity...
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
was a pain to automate everything first time we did it cause we had to do it so far away from our main base...
Mine's right next to my main base... because of course it is! ;) All the more reason to start building somewhere else!

Being the spreadsheet-nerd that I am... I mapped out the production chart for keeping a reactor going.

Numbers left and right of each building indicate "needed" and "produced" per minute, respectively.
Miner/smelter numbers aren't accurate... they'll overproduced anyway. EIBs are "Encased Industrial Beams"
All parts go from Left to Right (unless indicated otherwise by <, >, ^, v)

My goal was to minimize the conveyor belt paths containing uranium at any stage of production which is as bad to be near as the waste stockpile.
(but for sizing the above diagram, I scrunched the reactor over to the left instead of having it lined up with the manufacturer's output.)
I think my next reactor will be built near the uranium mines and I'll use a train to bring all raw materials except maybe water.

Many I can't wait until the unlock tier 8 and whatever it may contain!! =D

Imnotgoing Sideways

Puts the FU in Cute
I'm starting to think I'm putting too much effort into making things compact. Maybe I should reconsider using walls.(o_O) ... Or go to a third floor? =^-^=

Ain't started on nuclear just yet. Takes a mess to power this mess. (-_-)

• 1Like
Reactions: Jopsy Pendragon

Kalel

hypnotized
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I've killed men in their sleep, battled with many Spartans, and sent Athenians to hades but my most difficult challenge yet is defeat this bloody boar!

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
1. Build platform-road out over the bottomless pit

2. Program auto truck route to waste loading station, then out to the edge of the platform

3. Delete platform (but not auto route)

4. Set autopilot on truck and watch!

• 1Yay!
Reactions: Jopsy Pendragon

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
I'm playing Yakuza 0 right now not having played a single Yakuza game prior to this one. I saw before I bought it that it was a good entry point and so far it's very, very good. It didn't need voice overs either, but should be interesting to see how one does with them.

Noodles

☑️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
I am really close to completing Bloodstained Ritual of the Night 100% but I am not sure I want to bother with tediously farming the last handful of materials to craft stuff.

At this point I can kill everything pretty much instantly, including the end boss. It's kind of nutty.

• 1Like
Reactions: CronoCloud Creeggan

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
The big boys are fighting!

The funny bit:
In a video message premiering in Fortnite's own Party Royale mode, Epic write that it has "defied the App Store Monopoly. In retaliation, Apple is blocking Fortnite from a billion devices. Join the fight to stop 2020 from becoming '1984.'"

The video directly parodies Apple's famous 1984 Macintosh advertisement, down to an Apple executive stand-in saying that users have "given us their songs, their labor, their dreams. In exchange we have taken our tribute, our profits, our control. This power is ours and ours alone. We shall prevail."

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
This is pretty straightforward to me. Apple requires a specific cut if you want to put in-app purchases in your apps. Fornite knowingly updated the app to circumvent this, violating their agreement with Apple, so the app was removed. Fortnite seemed to have anticipated this because they already had a drafted complaint in-hand and announced they filed it literally like a couple of minutes after Apple kicked the app.

I don't really have a stake in this as I'm neither an Apple user nor a Fortnite player. Nor do I care if Apple's walled garden falls or stands. But I don't see that Fortnite has much of a case here; by making the app, they agreed to the conditions. I don't know what keeps convincing people that the correct way to dispute conditions you know you disagree with is to agree to follow them anyway in bad faith, so that you can deliberately break them and complain about facing the already-agreed-to consequences.

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
I would love to see both Apple and Google fall here. A 30% cut of an outright sale is not unusual in gaming. But a perpetual 30% cut off all future in-game revenue and forcing publishers to use the app store payment platform is excessive. Credit card companies take 3% on small transactions (it goes down on large transactions, usually starting with $100 sales).

It does not help that many mobile companies went to freemium models, and have introduced addictive elements intentionally to drive whales to fund their games. But part of the reason for that shift was the app stores highlighting free games. Nobody has clean hands here, but there are effectively two options for mobile games, and each uses a platform lock to demand perpetual revenue sharing.

They do have a case if they can show that Apple used their monopoly on iOS app distribution to demand onerous terms in their license which are therefore unenforceable.

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
I don't really have a stake in this as I'm neither an Apple user nor a Fortnite player. Nor do I care if Apple's walled garden falls or stands. But I don't see that Fortnite has much of a case here; by making the app, they agreed to the conditions. I don't know what keeps convincing people that the correct way to dispute conditions you know you disagree with is to agree to follow them anyway in bad faith, so that you can deliberately break them and complain about facing the already-agreed-to consequences.
The word which comes into mind here is monopoly. By publishing apps on the Apple App Store and Google Play Store you are agreeing to "it's either my way or the high way" type of rules because you otherwise have no choice. Apple has no competition in that regard, because they are the only one who set the rules for their app store and sideloading apps on an iPhone, which is not jail breaked, is impossible.

So in other words the App Store conditions are a market failure which needs to get corrected, just like AT&T was demolished when it became too big.

At least it gets us some funny ads:

• 2Like
Reactions: Govi and bubblesort