Nobody Cares About Your Favourite Sport

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
I was waiting for this. Woth everything Ohio State is doing to protect students, holding sports events was inconsistent with overall policy.

Lexxi

meow
SL Rez
Joined SLU
12-14-2007
SLU Posts
I mean, I understand the intent, but.....nah, not loving this.

That's pretty bad animation. The 'fans' look like crap. They are sitting weirdly (some are sitting on the chair arm (actually, considering everything, I think the chair arm is up their asses; some appear to be sitting on the back of chairs, etc). Most bored people I've ever seen. And some are wearing what appears to be masks - but around their necks.

I thought it was the news department where FOX was evil. They are evil in sports also?

Free

she/feline
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Free

she/feline
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Sooooooooo....wow guys. During the first game of the Reds-Royals double-header yesterday the Reds TV announcer had a hot mic coming back from a commercial break that caught him using a gay slur and it went out over the air. Halfway through the second game I guess he finally found out about it because he started giving an apology that accurately predicted his career was over.

Right in the middle of the apology, the Reds' Nick Castellanos hits what has to be the most awkward home run in history, which lands right in front of a big sign in the bleachers that says JUDGEMENT-FREE ZONE, because we really do live in a simulation.

Behold:

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Isabeau

Free

she/feline
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Responding to fellow commentator Brian Boucher’s observation Thursday night praising the focus players have been able to maintain in the twin COVID-free bubbles the league has set up to stage the Stanley Cup playoffs, Milbury replied, “It’s the perfect place. Not even any woman here to distract you.”

Aside from being sexist, it’s insulting to the female employees who are working at both sites to help the NHL pull off its playoffs during a pandemic.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Wow, Djokovic is defaulted out of the US Open!

The tournament is happening without fans in the seats of course. It's the Round of 16, and Djokovic had just lost a game. In anger, he smacked a ball with his racket back toward the wall behind him, where it ended up catching a lineman in the throat, causing her to fall to the ground in pain. The incident can be seen here, though granted not very well:

It was certainly an accident; but that kind of behavior is still reckless. Djokovic was ruled disqualified in the match and thus is out of the tournament.

• 1Sad
Reactions: bubblesort

bubblesort

I pretty much stopped watching football when they started allowing ties, because ties are bullshit. I still watch the superbowl and maybe an occasional playoff game now and then, but ties just ruin it for me. If I spend my time watching a game, I need to be guaranteed a loser to despise at the end of it.

I did watch the first game of the season last night, though, to see how they do it with corona. It was the Chiefs vs the Texans. The opening ceremony was a lot more intricate this time, but it was generally tasteful and well done. Lots of BLM support, which is good. Kinda weird to see a team called the chiefs promoting diversity in arrowhead stadium, but whatever. Baby steps.

The most surprising thing to me, though, is that offensive lines seem a lot more flimsy in recent years. Is it just the teams I'm watching, or have the rules changed? It's like there is no pocket any more. They're always throwing screens, and QB sneaks happen regularly. John Elway would have never been able to play like this. I just don't get it. Is this because of new rules against hitting hard or something?

bubblesort

I spent most of the day watching football today. Can't remember the last time I did that.

The weird thing is, they didn't show any opening ceremonies for the games on TV. No national anthem, no kneeling... they just cut in before the kickoff and went. Then they cut from one game to the other. There were no fans in the stands to boo at all, like there was in the first game of the season. The announcers did not mention BLM at all. It looks like the NFL did their BLM protest and now it's done.

No surprise, but I would have liked to see that kind of attention to social issues go all season. Maybe not have multiple songs and make a massive production about it for every game, because it was a bit much during the first game, but at least show players kneeling for the anthem, and let the announcers acknowledge why they are doing it.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts

Free

she/feline
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
This is the kind of sports story we don't hear enough of.

Good sportsmanship is often a huge part of athletic competition, but during Sunday's 2020 Santander Triathlon in Spain it was taken to another level. British athlete James Teagle was set to finish in third place at the annual triathlon and was just 100 yards from doing so. However, Teagle got confused when he saw a cheering crowd and began running toward the people -- who were opposite the finish line .

With Teagle running in the wrong direction, Spanish triathlete Diego Mentrida had a chance to finish in third place ahead of the Brit. However, in an incredible showing of sportsmanship, Mentrida pulled back, allowed Teagle to realize his mistake, and then pass him to finish in third place.

"He deserved it. This is something my parents and my club taught me since I was a child," Mentrida said following the race. "My view is it should be a normal thing to do."
EDIT: Should not leave out this part:
For his showing of sportsmanship, the organizers of the Santander Triathlon awarded Mentrida an honorary third-place finish. In doing so, Mentrida earned third-place winnings, which amount to $355.
OK, not a big prize. But at least the organizers recognized the importance of Mentrida's choice.

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
  • 1Like
Reactions: Free

Free

she/feline
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
More true sportsmanship.

The team withdrew from The World Games 2022 and the Iroquois Nationals lacrosse team will take its place, World Lacrosse announced last week. "It's simply the right thing to do," Michael Kennedy, chief executive officer of Ireland Lacrosse, said in a statement.

Eight teams were selected to participate based on where the team finished in the 2018 Federation of International Lacrosse World Championship. The Iroquois finished third and Ireland finished 12th, but the Nationals were initially deemed ineligible to compete by the International World Games Association (IWGA).

The team was ruled ineligible because it does not represent a sovereign nation and do not have an Olympic Committee. But in August, the IWGA said it was willing to reverse course if a place could be found for the Iroquois team. That's when Ireland Lacrosse stepped up.