SLU Posts
For some reason this is not legal.

Edit to add: The film footage they were using:

Last edited:

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
We watched a Tennis match Saturday. It was interesting enough until commentators began critiquing every stroke with “oh that sporty mcsport move will flip the sport sport in their favor. We haven’t seen that in a while after the processional sportsmission declared mcsporting questionable sportsmansport.” We were suddenly bored.

• 1Like
Reactions: Dakota Tebaldi

Casey Pelous

Senior Discount
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
February, 2011
SLU Posts
If you happen to be the sort of baseball fan I am, which is pretty much "Oh, is it baseball season again?", there's quite the little baseball drama unfolding with our usually-mediocre-at-best Seattle Mariners. As of this moment, they seem well on their way to their 14th victory in a row. One more would tie the all-time club record. They've also crawled out of the basement and into contention for at least a wild card game in the playoffs.

All this came in the wake of one of the more spectacular "bench emptying brawls" I have ever seen --- someone almost hit someone with a pitch, which led to someone else hitting someone with a pitch in the next game. There had been a good deal of "Listen here, we don't forget, you (several non--TV words that one commentator helpfully had translated by a lip reader)" and lots of finger-pointing -- not the index finger -- so things were pretty clearly premeditated. Then a huge, sort of terrifying, donnybrook that went on and on and ended with a lot of folks being thrown out of the game and getting multi-game suspensions. The suspensions included a 10 game suspension for the Angels coach, speaker of the above mentioned "Listen here" stuff.

As one of our suspended players left the (Angels') playing field he favored the crowd with a hearty double-bird salute. (After the game he apologized to a very upset little girl by giving her a baseball and telling her he was sorry he got thrown out of the game. She bought the non-apology and was all smiles.)

The suspensions were of important Mariners players and required a bunch of second-stringers to play.

For reasons that would probably keep a whole cohort of psych students busy for years, all that seemed to lead to a tremendous turnaround for the team.

I may have to buy a Mariners cap.

• 1Interesting
Reactions: Isabeau

Free

I post a lot
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
NASCAR driver at the center of 'Let's go Brandon' may have to skip races in 2022 due to a lack of sponsorship

Brown scored the first win of his NASCAR career at Talladega in October. As fans chanted “F*** Joe Biden” as he emerged from his car, an NBC pit reporter mistakenly said they were chanting “Let’s go Brandon.” The latter slogan immediately emerged as a euphemism for the former and third-party merchandise with Brown’s first name is now ubiquitous in conservative circles.

The 28-year-old meekly attempted to stay apolitical in the weeks after his Talladega win and even claimed to the New York Times in a December profile that he didn’t want to be political. Less than two weeks after that profile, Brown and his family team leaned fully into the politicization and said it had a deal with a Let’s Go Brandon-themed cryptocurrency to sponsor his car for the full season despite NASCAR’s public denouncement of the phrase.
Oh, OK. But at least the sponsorship was a good move, yeah?
The cryptocurrency had a minuscule value at the time of the premature announcement and quickly cratered. According to CoinBase, the coin is effectively worthless and there’s been no trading of since late March. It's also a central part of an ethics investigation into Rep. Madison Cawthorn (R-NC).
Wow. Let's go, Brandon...

Tirellia

Cold and Wet
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Euro 2022 final: 'We've changed the game' - England captain Leah Williamson - BBC Sport

England win the Euro 2022 final. I'm not a great football fan but that was an inspiring performance. I hope the success of the team and the overall quality of modern women's football will see more girls take up football or other sports. I thought the games I watched were easily the match of the men's game.

It's a shame some ignorant racist bigots have been crying and bleating throughout the tournament but maybe they'll switch back to one of their usual targets for a while.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Isabeau

Sid

Fulltime coffee drinker.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
During national competitions the number of spectators is still very low when it comes to ladies football.
There is still a very long way to go, but the level has improved a bit since the last tournament. So there is hope.