Nobody Cares about TV and Film

Tigger

not on speaking terms with the voices in my head
I was wandering around youtube and this new netflix series popped up in some trailers. Never heard of it but it looks like it has promise.

but I can't help but ask, if 43 were born, why are there only 6 ?

danielravennest

SLU Posts
In the clip, a character is offering to buy a baby (0:18). Maybe only six mothers were willing to give them up. Alternately, maybe only six of the 43 had special abilities. I suppose we we'll find out in two weeks.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
The Umbrella Academy | Dark Horse Digital Comics
In an inexplicable worldwide event, forty-seven extraordinary children were spontaneously born by women who'd previously shown no signs of pregnancy. Millionaire inventor Reginald Hargreeves adopted seven of the children; when asked why, his only explanation was, "To save the world."
Modified a bit for the series, but...

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Kaimi Kyomoon

Tigger

not on speaking terms with the voices in my head
Things keep popping up out of nowhere. Today on netflix something called "Nightflyers" appeared.
So, ok sci-fi thing, I like scifi things.

Brief description sounds ok. Humans go off looking for aliens for help because the earth is dying for no well defined reason. Ok. Episode 1.
Oh hey it's a george RR Martin story.

First scene - space ship crashes into a tree in space and this appears to be the conclusion of the story, I'd put a spoiler warning but it's the first scene of the first episode. Murders and suicide everyone dies, mission fails. So even before the story sets up the premise we know its doomed.

Ok, well, that's a downer, do I need to watch the rest of this episode or the rest of the series? Guess not but lets keep going.
Someone tries to sabotage the launch, the telepath is a murderer and kept in a cell with a dead person hanging in it, maybe? Is he really the best choice of people to try and talk to an alien race? he has the power to choke people darth vader style, I think? Wait is that the captain? is he a hologram or something? What the hell is going on, why is that person floating in a sealed tank of water... why is the tank next to hers filling up with blood and body parts? what the f*ck is going on? I kind of gave up at that point.

Has anyone watched this show? Can you explain it to me? Maybe I need more coffee and to try watching it again but the whole thing seems to be a confused and pointless mess.

Porsupah Ree

Shy bunny
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Has anyone watched this show? Can you explain it to me? Maybe I need more coffee and to try watching it again but the whole thing seems to be a confused and pointless mess.
Yeep. I noticed the first ep free on iTunes, but with my backlog already stretching into the final stages of the sun, didn't bother downloading it; sounds like it might not have been quite my cup of tea after all. o_O

Ann Launay

Crumpet Khaleesi
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Aug 2007
SLU Posts
I actually enjoyed Nightflyers. It is a little confusing at first, but the full picture is gradually revealed. Well, mostly. There's a thing at the very end that I'm not 100% sure I understood, but it only involves the (very) alien entity, so I was OK with that.

Also, the part that looks like the end in the pilot is not actually the end. A lot of things are not what they seem at first.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Anyone with Netflix looking for a good but quiet, grand as in ideas not wall-to-wall CGI sci-fi film, check out IO with Margaret Qualley and Anthony Mackie. I liked it a lot.

Note that some people online hate it with a passion. I don't see why unless they were expecting a better take on The Titan, Netflix's shitty 'Man Plus' rip-off.

• 1Like
Reactions: eku zhong

Myficals

Nein!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Feb 2010
SLU Posts
Anyone with Netflix looking for a good but quiet, grand as in ideas not wall-to-wall CGI sci-fi film, check out IO with Margaret Qualley and Anthony Mackie. I liked it a lot.
Netflix pushed the trailer at me a few days ago, and it honestly left me somewhat conflicted.

From that trailer, it appears to be mostly a "journey to the last safe haven" story, across a broken and hostile post-apoc Earth, and that is something I can seriously get behind. On the other hand, the fact that this "last safe haven" is Io is something I find deeply stupid. Okay, a rocketship to anywhere is pretty low on the realism scale anyway. It's just that there are several other destinations that require less suspension of disbelief than the most volcanically active piece of rock that we know about. I can't help feeling that the moon was chosen largely because the writer wanted the name for their story, which is a bit on the nose.

Having said all that, I'll still give it a watch. Given that my annoyance isn't with the story itself, I'll probably get over it.

PS: The sci-fi film Outland was originally going to be titled Io. They ended up changing it because it read a bit too close to 10 and since that film came out only a year or so prior, they were worried people might have been confused.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
From that trailer, it appears to be mostly a "journey to the last safe haven" story, across a broken and hostile post-apoc Earth, and that is something I can seriously get behind. On the other hand, the fact that this "last safe haven" is Io is something I find deeply stupid. Okay, a rocketship to anywhere is pretty low on the realism scale anyway. It's just that there are several other destinations that require less suspension of disbelief than the most volcanically active piece of rock that we know about.
If it helps, they rocket off to live *near* Io, not on it. These will only lead to further questions I'm sure, but hey... (I suspect as myth is part of the storytelling elements of the film, Io's mythological features probably have more meaning here than its astronomical ones.)

I'm not going to claim this film is a major surprise of genius filmmaking, and maybe I'm easily bowled over by stuff that doesn't treat me like an idiot. In any case, I did like it.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Myficals

eku zhong

Zhonging along.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Mar 2009
SLU Posts

Note that some people online hate it with a passion. I don't see why unless they were expecting a better take on The Titan, Netflix's shitty 'Man Plus' rip-off.
I really enjoyed it.. especially the VERY END. Myficals don't dismiss this.. its not quite what you think.

Myficals

Nein!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Feb 2010
SLU Posts
Oh I'm definitely not dismissing the film and it is on my shortlist. I've bought in to films with more annoying niggles before (and from what I can tell, my issue with it really is just a niggle).

• 1Like
Reactions: eku zhong

eku zhong

Zhonging along.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Mar 2009
SLU Posts
I am also pretty tired of the 'last effort to save human race' shit. But I did enjoy this movie.
Nightflyers on the other hand.. fucking irritating.. we watched 3 episodes and still couldn't get into it.... close on giving up altogether.

Quite enjoying Russian Doll on Netflix though.. weird, whacky and a little bit disturbing.

• 1Agree
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Tigger and Kaimi Kyomoon

Myficals

Nein!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Feb 2010
SLU Posts
Quite enjoying Russian Doll on Netflix though.. weird, whacky and a little bit disturbing.
Russian Doll is ❤. Natasha Lyone's Nadia is a wonderfully manic trainwreck of a central character, the supporting cast is brilliant and the show really does some new and interesting things with the time loop plot.

Kaimi Kyomoon

Persistent Participant
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Okay Caete. I put it on our watch list. Thanks.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Caete