Nobody Cares about TV and Film

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Roddenberry was a womanizing lech who would never have made it past today's #MeToo culture.

Does that sound libertarian?
I don't know, and I don't know how true that is of Roddenberry the actual man; but the lead males in his fiction were almost always womanizing leches, so it wouldn't like surprise me.

After Star Trek, Roddenberry tried several times to start a new TV show about a man from the 20th century who was frozen and revived a couple hundred years later after an apocalyptic war when human society was vastly pared down and had reorganized itself. He made pilots but the shows never got picked up so the pilots just ended up being a series of stand-alone movies, each one a slight rework of the previous one. Think of them as like "reboots", except it was the same guy who kept rebooting them.

Anyways, one of the movies is called "Planet Earth", and the past-man hero and his friends are fighting against a matriarchal society that has enslaved men by drugging their food, with the hero calling the situation "women's lib gone wild". He manages to overthrow the matriarchal order by creating an antidote to the drug which he has his compatriots slip into the man-slaves' food while he distracts the leader of the women by seducing and bedding her.

But I mean if you think about it, that's kind of typical of Roddenberry. The original Star Trek show and the Next Generation both had episodes where a planet had a matriarchal society and each time the society was either tyrannical - literally enslaving males - or just plain stupid (like in the episode where Spock's brain was stolen).

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Govi

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
I don't know, and I don't know how true that is of Roddenberry the actual man; but the lead males in his fiction were almost always womanizing leches, so it wouldn't like surprise me.

After Star Trek, Roddenberry tried several times to start a new TV show about a man from the 20th century who was frozen and revived a couple hundred years later after an apocalyptic war when human society was vastly pared down and had reorganized itself. He made pilots but the shows never got picked up so the pilots just ended up being a series of stand-alone movies, each one a slight rework of the previous one. Think of them as like "reboots", except it was the same guy who kept rebooting them.

Anyways, one of the movies is called "Planet Earth", and the past-man hero and his friends are fighting against a matriarchal society that has enslaved men by drugging their food, with the hero calling the situation "women's lib gone wild". He manages to overthrow the matriarchal order by creating an antidote to the drug which he has his compatriots slip into the man-slaves' food while he distracts the leader of the women by seducing and bedding her.

But I mean if you think about it, that's kind of typical of Roddenberry. The original Star Trek show and the Next Generation both had episodes where a planet had a matriarchal society and each time the society was either tyrannical - literally enslaving males - or just plain stupid (like in the episode where Spock's brain was stolen).

Well, when he worked for the LAPD he had multiple affairs with his secretarial staff. He had an affair with Nichelle Nichols (Lt. Uhura) and Majel Barrett (who he put in the pilot of Star Trek as Number One, then later as Christine Chapel in TOS, and later as Lwaxana Troi in NextGen and DS9).

He introduced the two, wanting an open relationship. Nichelle Nicols ended the affair, stating that she didn't want to be the "other woman of the other woman", however she was found nude in his office during filming of Star Trek a few times. In addition he was having affairs with assorted women in his office. The public affair with Barrett lasted 10 years before they married in 1969, when his divorce to his first wife hadn't yet been finalized.

So yeah, he was having multiple affairs on the regular, usually with people on set from previous endeavors or secretarial/office staff quite publicly. It's safe to say he was indeed a lech.

Last edited:

Pamela

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Fargo is back.

• 1Like
Reactions: Maggy Hazelnut

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Very interesting choice. My only issue would be, she's like my height, and I can't imagine ever being a She-Hulk. Physically, anyway.

Isabeau

Merdeuse
Yeah, she is small, but when you think about it, Dr Banner was small compared to when he transformed. Maybe there will be another actor for when she’s Hulk, like in the tv show. That would be interesting.

Lexxi

meow
SL Rez
Joined SLU
12-14-2007
SLU Posts
I think it is probably hard to be in as much stuff as she has been in, and have me never ever seeing anything she's been in. But . . . I've never seen anything she's been in.

danielravennest

SLU Posts
Yeah, she is small, but when you think about it, Dr Banner was small compared to when he transformed. Maybe there will be another actor for when she’s Hulk, like in the tv show. That would be interesting.
In the 2008 Marvel version of the Incredible Hulk, the actor who played the Hulk in the TV series makes a cameo appearance as a security guard. In that and later Marvel films, the Hulk is entirely CGI.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Isabeau

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Oh and Isabeau, I said Tatiana was about my height. I didn't say she was small!

• 1LOL
Reactions: Isabeau

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
I'm a few days late here, but I wanted to expand upon my Doctor Who issues, post female doctor.

In addition to writing one-off stories without an over-arching premise per year, they had a ragtag group of companions. In the past, at least for the reboot, they would take time to develop a ongoing strong relationship between doctor and companion. They did try to develop a relationship with all of them, but failed at developing that strong relationship that the viewer could see.

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
That’s a keen observation Jolene. There seemed to be some serious reservation even though she called them “Fam.” Wonder if a fear of slut shaming held companion familiarity at bay. That was never a concern for male doctors, either way, reciprocated or not.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Jolene Benoir

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
That’s a keen observation Jolene. There seemed to be some serious reservation even though she called them “Fam.” Wonder if a fear of slut shaming held companion familiarity at bay. That was never a concern for male doctors, either way, reciprocated or not.
Wow, yeah that never even occurred to me, but you might have something, there. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

I had just kind of assumed that they didn't think she could carry the show, so put in all of these extras to help her out, which is pretty demeaning in itself, but of course, I could be wrong. It's just the impression I got.

Last edited:

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
Rose, Amy, Donna, Clara, (sidetrrack, River) They developed all of those relationship over time. Each one of them I can bring up in my mind, and see the relationship that they had with the doctor.

That just hasn't been there. As an audience, no matter what we say, we do love a good relationship development. They don't have to be romantic as long as we understand that they have great respect for each other, and in the case of Doctor Who, would put their lives on the line for each other.

An enduring trust, respect, love (platonic). All of that was missing.

I don't mean to dis the companions. They were a nice enough group of folks and they have my respect, but by being part of such a large group none of them ever got to get close to the doctor in ways we have seen in the past. I can name Grant, and he wasn't all that close to her. I cannot remember the other's names. I can see their faces and assorted scenes with them, but nothing that rises to a Rose, Amy, Donna, Clara.

Last edited:

Tigar

🥧 Because Pie 🥧
SL Rez
Joined SLU
💨 💨 🥧
SLU Posts
I think mentioned before that Tigress had never seen , and I had a great time introducing her to it.

and today I just learned that she hasn’t seen
i know what we’re watching tonight.

bubblesort

You know what documentary I want to see? I want to see the story of MySpace Tom. He's the most wholesome silicon valley figure in the world (except maybe Wozinak). I don't want to see what happened to him after the sale of MySpace, I hear that part of his life is boring. I want to see how he built MySpace and sold it. Also, why didn't he ever post after I friended him on MySpace? We are probably still friends on MySpace, but I haven't even seen a picture of his lunch, so are we really friends, or does he see me as a frenemy? LOL

• 1Like
Reactions: Free

bubblesort

There are 2 films coming out in the next month that might explain 2020.

The first is a Borat sequel. I know, that's weird. Everybody in the world knows who Borat is now, so where would Sacha Baron Cohen find idiots who would still fall for the same gag? Apparently, America is full of such idiots. So Cohen has been shooting all year, and rumor has it, it's set to premiere on Amazon Prime on Oct 23.

The second film is a Church of the Subgenius documentary. Sandy Boone told us in a Subgenius group that, "J.R. "Bob" Dobbs and the Church of the SubGenius will be in virtual theaters October 16th and available on Demand October 20th." I don't know exactly what they mean by virtual theater, but I guess we'll find out soon enough.

What I'm thinking is that either Sacha Baron Cohen, or maybe some of the crazy Subgeniuses, will admit that 2020 was all a big prank to spread some slack and mess with the pinks, or something like that. That's the only thing that explains the presidential debate I watched last night. Unless somebody dosed me or something.

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
The second film is a Church of the Subgenius documentary. Sandy Boone told us in a Subgenius group that, "J.R. "Bob" Dobbs and the Church of the SubGenius will be in virtual theaters October 16th and available on Demand October 20th." I don't know exactly what they mean by virtual theater, but I guess we'll find out soon enough.
There was a subgenius event in SL last year or so. Maybe they plan to redo it?

• 1Like
Reactions: bubblesort

Arilynn

I watched The Boys in the Band last night. For quite a while I thought it was a horror story. My husband, who is away, saw the Broadway version a couple of years ago and assured me it wasn’t. Despite that, I had a vivid, awful nightmare about it. He swears he can explain how it was actually a positive experience to see it with an older gay friend of his family. I read a review, and I can almost see that if I squint. But not completely. And it’s funny? I’m mystified.