SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts

Caete

Scientist Lady of Science
SL Rez
LCD's aren't immune to that.

I have a clip fan attached to a shelf above the computer station. I had to move it further away from the monitor.
When I was supporting the call center, some people would complain about monitor flickering despite not a single CRT in the building. Every single one of the complainers had a cheap little desk fan to help them keep cool. A quick education of put it on either side of your desk, not next to the monitor, problem solved.

Caete

SL Rez
I've kind of softened on the idea of RGB - I guess I had to, since it's becoming so widespread on computer parts now. But still....I mean, come on, how did HyperX not catch this problem during testing? They can't have done any on the finished product.
RGB is the burberry of the PC world. Tacky, over priced, useless and worshipped by low hanging fruit of society.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
RGB is the burberry of the PC world. Tacky, over priced, useless and worshipped by low hanging fruit of society.
Also, potentially destructive.

Hint: 2 minutes in.

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
That's what started this subthread.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Caete

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Looking at my open case, and it would be a complete waste to have LEDs on the SSDs because they are hidden in normal operation. What will manufacturers do next, RGB on PSUs?
RGB ALL THE THINGS!!!!!!

• 1not-sure
Reactions: Free

Clara D.

Coffee Squirrel is judging you.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
I have issues that are triggered by moving/twitching lights that aren't my immediate focus. RGB would be irritating.

As it is, I don't care for overly bright blue LED's either, I replaced the ones in my keyboard with old-school red ones.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Katheryne Helendale

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
I have issues that are triggered by moving/twitching lights that aren't my immediate focus. RGB would be irritating.

As it is, I don't care for overly bright blue LED's either, I replaced the ones in my keyboard with old-school red ones.
I would be annoyed at the waste of energy. What is ironic is the people who bling out their machines are usually gamers, who want to eke out every last drop of power. So why do you have some of your power supply going to something pointless then idiots!

Stickers on the other hand. I am currently contemplating the second layer of stickers on top of my laptop case.

• 1Agree
  • 1Like
Reactions: Caete and Brenda Archer

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Looking at my open case, and it would be a complete waste to have LEDs on the SSDs because they are hidden in normal operation. What will manufacturers do next, RGB on PSUs?
Windows on the sides of cases are a big thing now for people who build their own computers; enthusiast-grade stuff is built as much for show as functionality. Which, okay, I guess I get. Assuming you actually have friends who will come to your house and see it...

But you're right Ashiri - the SSD slots on most cases, even windowed cases, are hidden. So getting an RGB drive limits you to using only a handful of cases. Which I guess is okay if you've already gotten one of those cases - I think the storage is usually the last component that system-builders plan, so if you know you've got a case that can show them off then why not I suppose.

Funny thing about the RGB power supplies though - those would've been great about five or six years ago. Right now there's even fewer cases that would show off an RGB power supply than there are that would show off an RGB SSD; starting about two years ago, the trend is to completely hide the power supply (and its ugly cable-octopus) inside a partitioned "basement" that is closed off and can't be seen through the window. Early on a couple of cases had cut-outs in the partition to show off the power supply label, but I don't think ANY cases last year had them. If you want to show off an RGB supply you've got to get either one of those completely-open Thermaltake View cases, or else settle for an old case. Which I mean, there's nothing wrong with having an old case, some of them still look great, but you and I both know you're never gonna use that FireWire port.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Ashiri

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Assuming you actually have friends who will come to your house and see it...
Isn't posting snaps of your gear in far flung forums a thing? People like to peacock, even if it's just online. If you have the money to spend on it...

• 1Agree
Reactions: Katheryne Helendale

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Isn't posting snaps of your gear in far flung forums a thing? People like to peacock, even if it's just online. If you have the money to spend on it...
Yeah, I was being mean. ^^

• 1Happy
Reactions: Free

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
I would be annoyed at the waste of energy. What is ironic is the people who bling out their machines are usually gamers, who want to eke out every last drop of power. So why do you have some of your power supply going to something pointless then idiots!
That's what 1000 - 1200w power supplies are for! :cool:

• 1Taco
Reactions: Kamilah Hauptmann

Sean Gorham

Verti's Minion Again!
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
2007-09-27
SLU Posts
LED lights on a computer are like putting Type R stickers on a Geo Metro.

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
So, this guy I know in SL has type R stickers on his Gentoo box.

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Today's tech support: How do I add an adjunct's personal email address to a group?

You can't but adjuncts are assigned 365 accounts so they have access to all of the features including groups.

They won't check those email accounts.

Okay

So how do I add an adjunct's personal email address to a group?

You can't.

I'll call you tomorrow.

Okay

Clara D.

Coffee Squirrel is judging you.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
Speaking of computer stickers...

Tempted to get this for the "computer made of wood" meme:

This one fits my personal aesthetic, but it should have been "radiation" and not "biohazard"

TBH, my laptop is looking almost that battered on it's own, I'll probably just get some "real" radiation hazard stickers...

Last edited:

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Amateur hour.

Or my version of a always carrying a 20,000 mAH portable battery. In addition to the usual collection of cables and chargers ..... plus some combo of kindle/ipad/laptop. Yes, people go to lift my backpack and have the most interesting expressions. :)

Caete

SL Rez
Speaking of computer stickers...

Tempted to get this for the "computer made of wood" meme:

This one fits my personal aesthetic, but it should have been "radiation" and not "biohazard"

TBH, my laptop is looking almost that battered on it's own, I'll probably just get some "real" radiation hazard stickers...
For a short time, our orders from Dell would include a bound lined paper notebook as part of their promotions. The front looked like a closed laptop an the back had a great picture of a laptop underside. Sadly I gave all mine to a special needs school and Dell has downsized them them 6x9 :(

• 1Like
Reactions: Brenda Archer