Nobody Cares about Tech Support

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
The nice thing about Word is, that I know what I need to do for a few decades already.
I'm not nerdy enough to get upset about flaws in parts I never use in the first place.
NL has been a Word-country since like forever.

• 1Like
Reactions: Govi

Casey Pelous

Senior Discount
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
February, 2011
SLU Posts
Welp, that was fun for a little while. Then it wasn't.

The "put in new stuff in my system" part went fine. I will say that the XFX RX 5700 XT THICC graphics card is aptly named. Holy sheep, I didn't think I could fit the behemoth into the case for a while! It stretches the full length of a full tower interior with zero room to spare. Three 9mm ... maybe 10mm ... fans. For all that, it is amazingly quiet. That was Saturday. The only "mishap" was that I didn't realize "clone the drive" really meant "CLONE" the drive -- complete with its size! So now I have a 500 Gb SSD that thinks it is a 256 Gb drive. Oh, well, I'll figure out a fix for that later.

Then came "put the old system in the old, old system's case." That went fine up to the "now let's install Windows part." At midnight last night, after entering the (*&$&!! key so many times I about had it memorized, I gave up. I confess, there was shouting. It would get to the "Enter your Microsoft Account Password" screen and poop out -- screen went dark, and nothin' but nothin' was happening.

This morning I was trying again when I accidentally unplugged the machine. I didn't notice, and the subsequent complete lack of life made me suddenly realize -- it's the power supply! One trip to Best Buy later, it is chugging along quite merrily. I think the old PS was just barely adequate for the old motherboard/graphics card. When faced with somewhat more modern and high-powered stuff, it couldn't quite cut the mustard.

I'm frickin' exhausted -- I always forget what physical work building one of these things is.

Thanks again, everybody.

p.s.: New system is amazing. I can do stupid stuff faster with more energy!

• 2Hug
Reactions: Sid and Govi

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
In Clonezilla, the command line parameters -k1 -r will expand the partition table and resize the partition to fill a target disc that is larger than the source.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Casey Pelous

Clara D.

Coffee Squirrel is judging you.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
In Clonezilla, the command line parameters -k1 -r will expand the partition table and resize the partition to fill a target disc that is larger than the source.
I get a lot of use out of the free version of Partition Master.

SL Rez
SLU Posts
Now I don't understand. Obviously the number of bad sectors is way bigger than a floppy and is suspiciously close to 2 ** 32 (4294967296). Tardisk seems to be a Dr Who reference but I never watched it so I don't get it. The wikipedia page says "A MacBook hybrid drive company is named tarDISK. Their website and videos contain references to flash memory which is bigger on the inside. " That's all I got.

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
The inside of a TARDIS in Dr Who is a separate bubble of space, so the inside is bigger than the outside. It is like a Bag of Holding.

• 2Thanks
Reactions: Govi and Essence Lumin

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
I didn't know about the hybrid drive company; but yeah, both their company name and my joke reference the TARDIS, Dr. Who's personal vehicle which is the size of a phone booth when viewed from outside but inside is the size of a large laboratory/spaceship-thing.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Essence Lumin

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
I've never been a developer, although I've read enough code to understand what's going on and have even dared (mostly successfully) to fix small code errors or revise as needed for variations of functionality. Mostly I worked with HTML and CSS to implement designs and user interfaces.

Gradually, over the years, however, I drifted away from hands-on work. As an account manager I mostly delegate tasks to dedicated developers and there have been fewer and fewer opportunities to do the fun stuff. This past week we were facing a crunch with people starting to take vacations, so I agreed to pick up a small issues ticket that had been languishing for weeks. A component on the client's web page had stopped working and the developer notes were about a corrupted SharePoint web part that needed to be replaced from scratch, yada yada. To the tell the truth, I was bit apprehensive about taking this task on, minor though it was, figuring I was pretty rusty.

I gamely read through all the notes, then poked at the broken web part. It was a bit strange that it had just suddenly stopped working after years of doing its job. It's not like these things wear out, like machinery cogs. And it had stopped working immediately after a user published a blog post that was supposed to display on the part... did a little more poking and determined the error had nothing to do with corrupted code. The web part was just choking on the bad copy-paste job of the published article it was referencing. It couldn't parse the word formatting garbage that hadn't been cleaned from the text. Cleaned up the HTML source and everything worked fine.

Nice to know I've still got it when it comes to trouble-shooting SharePoint errors. Developers, sheesh. They wield a code hammer so every issue must be a nail.

SL Rez
SLU Posts
Nice to know I've still got it when it comes to trouble-shooting SharePoint errors. Developers, sheesh. They wield a code hammer so every issue must be a nail.
My very small bit of experience with Sharepoint 10 years ago still makes me shudder. Maybe it's better now.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts