Nobody Cares about Tech Support

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
Oh yeh, pull all the other drives when installing or updating Windows in a multiboot environment.

Sid

My blood type is Dark Roast Positive.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Yes
I started with Windows, I feel comfy with Windows, I stick with Windows.
That's all there is to it.

Clara D.

FOR PRESIDENT 2020!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
Couldn't do that since there was just one physical drive.
Ew.

If I ever decided to dual boot, it'd likely involve a hardware switch and four drives (one for each OS and a "shared data" RAID array)

I've been down the "Windows just ate Linux and now my computer won't boot at all!" road once...

Would just take a DPDT switch (12v/5v lines) and a couple of cheapo sata power connectors.

Or a cheapo bay switch thingy.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Essence Lumin

Free

butt stuff guru
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
5/2009
SLU Posts
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
I don't use (Mint) linux very often but am a little paranoid about the dual boot thing. Windows on one its big updates didn't just take out the mbr, it removed the whole linux partition and extended windows into it. That was not recoverable other than with redoing the partition table and installing linux from scratch.
I had heard that Windows updates don't do that anymore. I haven't been dual-boot for very long, but so far so good - so far.

CronoCloud Creeggan

Redheaded
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
07-25-2012
SLU Posts
I had heard that Windows updates don't do that anymore. I haven't been dual-boot for very long, but so far so good - so far.
People are still reporting Windows breaking multiboot, possibly in different ways than it used to.
It won't if you do the Linux install right. First resize the Windows partition within Windows to free up space for your linux install. However some Linux distros in the past assumed they were the only OS and didn't put the bootloader in the right place for multiboot. Fedora, at least when I dual-booted, recognized the Windows install and put the bootloader in the right place so Windows couldn't fuck with it. Grub would boot, allowing OS selection, if you selected Windows, then and only then would the Windows bootloader be called.

Ashiri

√(-1)
SL Rez
SLU Posts
WTF Microsoft? OneDrive has gone all psycho on me trying to sync everything, and when I look online for help, the info seems out of date.