Nobody Cares about Tech Support

Clara D.

FOR PRESIDENT 2020!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
So this falls under the "they have bigger problems" category.
Pretty much.

In even moderate size companies you can't just pop out and buy something without having to go through lots of red tape.

So you end up with a situation at a place I worked at that was stuck on Windows XP because some bean counter refused to replace *TWO* printers in the production area.

Same company where it apparently was more feasible to have the copier guy in once a week than give us a new copier that worked.

Clara D.

FOR PRESIDENT 2020!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
Google is really irritating on a laptop that connects to random wi-fi. They really need a better way of detecting "same device." Or at least give me the option to opt out of the blasted two-factor authentication.

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
Client/User: I want the text to wrap around the image on the page.

Me: You can't do that on an O365 site. There's a web part for text, and there's another web part for an image.

Client/User: But I used to have text wrapped around images on my page.

Me: Yes, because your intranet used to be on SharePoint 2013. The intranet is now on O365, and now you can't do that.

Client/User: Well, okay, but please remove all that white space between the web parts.

Me: I'm sorry, I can't do that. I have no control over the styling.

Client/User: But you did it before.

Me: I did it on SharePoint 2013, where I can edit the HTML and add CSS rules. I'm not allowed to do that on O365.

Client/User: But I thought O365 was supposed to be better?

Me: (tight smile) Yes, according to Microsoft, 0365 is a big improvement over on-prem SharePoint. Have a nice day!

SL Rez
SLU Posts
Client/User: I want the text to wrap around the image on the page.

Me: You can't do that on an O365 site. There's a web part for text, and there's another web part for an image.
That hits close to home. I used to put together a weekly email bulletin for my church. They used some web based software to put together the newsletter (not MS software). The company had made an entirely new version of their software. I was having some technical issue so called them up about it. I also asked why we hadn't been migrated to the new software. He said it was likely because I heavily used flowing text around images and the new software didn't support that.

Free

Wants a Baby Yoda
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
May 2009
SLU Posts
Me: (tight smile) Yes, according to Microsoft, 0365 is a big improvement over on-prem SharePoint. Have a nice day!
Maybe they need Google Docs.

/me runs!

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
Not PC-related, but is certainly a head-scratcher, at least for me:

I have an LG 4k TV in my living room. It is, like most flat-panel TVs, an LED-backlit LCD screen. I have two bookshelf speakers hung on the wall on either side of the TV, down toward the bottom corners.

I've been noticing a discoloration of the screen at the lower corners where I have the speakers mounted. There is a very definite blue tinge there at both corners. Now, I know mounting anything magnetic near an older CRT display will cause discoloration of the screen, particularly around where the magnetic fields are. But LCD's are supposed to be immune to that, right?

Anyone have any explanation for what's going on?
So, to follow up on this: I did some digging around on the Internet, and apparently these blue tinges that started off in the lower corners of my screen and have since started showing up in other parts of my screen as well are somewhat common in LG sets. They are caused when the white LEDs that make up the backlight begin to die. Now, this TV is only about three years old (two years beyond its warranty, unfortunately), which is still young; these LEDs shouldn't be dying already.

Fortunately, it looks like a relatively easy fix. The backlight is made up of three LED strips that run across the top, middle, and bottom parts of the screen. These strips are relatively easy to replace, and don't cost much (under 30 bucks). So it's just the matter of ordering the strips, and finding the time to take the TV down off the wall, opening it up, and gaining access to the strips. It'll make for a good weekend project some time.

• 1Like
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Khamon and Brenda Archer