Redheaded
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
07-25-2012
SLU Posts
Here, have a livestream of one of the erupting fissures on Mauna Loa

😨

The Big Island: "Hi, I'm basically made of giant big ass volcanos that could eat Everest. My volcanos spew out molten rock fairly often and make the island bigger. My spouting is fairly gentle by volcano standards, but I'm still made of freakin big ass volcanos over a big ass hotspot where evidence of my activity goes all the way back to almost Kamkatcha!"

Modern civilization "Lets build resorts on your outskirts and turn your volcanos into a National Park. You want to be a celebrity streamer too?"

The Big Island: "Dafuq?"

• 1ROFL
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Lexxi and Beebo Brink

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Guys - okay listen, I've seen this story getting some traction in the media so let me clear something up for you.

No matter what you've heard on the news or entertainment media or social media or elsewhere on the internet:

No, the Earth's core has NOT stopped turning. No, it hasn't started turning the other direction either.

Here's what's really going on: As you know, the Earth is made up of layers. A very thin crust on the outside, an almost fully solid mantle that makes up MOST of the Earth's mass underneath that, and then a molten outer core and a solid inner core, both mostly made of iron and some trace elements.

Because the solid inner core is not solidly attached to the rest of the solid volume of the Earth - separated from it by the liquid outer core - it does not rotate together with it at exactly the same speed. The inner core DOES absolutely rotate, but its rotation speed oscillates a bit - sometimes it spins a little faster than the rest of the Earth around it is spinning, sometimes a little slower.

Up until just recently, it has been spinning faster. It has just reached a point in that natural oscillation though where it has slowed down enough that the outer mass of Earth (while not changing its own speed) overtook and is now turning faster that the inner core. But the core is STILL SPINNING. It hasn't stopped. It hasn't changed direction. The Earth's magnetic field is not about to experience some weakening or upheaval. You're safe - or well, as safe as anyone is any other day on the surface of a planet like Earth which let's face it isn't super safe on the best of days.

Some people who should know better are getting this seriously wrong and it's super irritating. Anyway, hope this clarifies things for you.

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Kilauea summit started erupting again last week - adding fresh lava to the crater floor a couple dozen meters deep, and it's still going although at a reduced level. FULL SCREEN this video, you won't be disappointed!

I want to say that the footage of the helicopter and scientists at the end of the video is SUPER interesting to me. From the very beginning of all of this activity a couple of years ago - staring with the lower Puna eruption that led to the collapse of the original Halemaʻumaʻu crater floor, and then the 2020 summit eruption that slowly filled it almost all the way back up with lava - we've mostly seen these large wide-angle images and videos, and you see rocks and cliffs and things in the pictures but none of it tells you how "big" any of it is.

Like, remember this time back after the crater floor collapse but before it started filling with lava again, when this kinda scummy looking pond started growing down at the bottom of the collapsed crater?

But you can look at that photo all you want and you're never going to "see" how big that water is. I could TELL you, for example, and accurately, that at its depth in that photo, if the Statue of Liberty was standing at the very bottom of that pond its torch would not reach the surface of the water, and you would understand what I was saying but it wouldn't change the fact that in the photo it still LOOKS like a little puddle at the bottom of a hole that seems maybe kinda big but not, like, awesomely big.

But at the end of that video up there it's the first time I've ever seen actual humans juxtaposed against the crater floor in the background and the fact that we know for certain how big humans are, finally makes it impossible to not see just how impossibly freaking HUGE even the small part of the lava lake that can be seen behind them actually is. I love it!

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
I was not sure where to put this as The National Geographic covers more than one area. Modernity and Disney strike again. :(

On Wednesday, the Washington-based magazine that has surveyed science and the natural world for 135 years reached another difficult passage when it laid off all of its last remaining staff writers.

The cutback — the latest in a series under owner Walt Disney Co. — involves some 19 editorial staffers in all, who were notified in April that these terminations were coming. Article assignments will henceforth be contracted out to freelancers or pieced together by editors. The cuts also eliminated the magazine’s small audio department.

The layoffs were the second over the past nine months, and the fourth since a series of ownership changes began in 2015. In September, Disney removed six top editors in an extraordinary reorganization of the magazine’s editorial operations.
In a further cost-cutting move, copies of the famous bright-yellow-bordered print publication will no longer be sold on newsstands in the United States starting next year, the company said in an internal announcement last month.
At its peak in the late 1980s, National Geographic reached 12 million subscribers in the United States, and millions more overseas....It remains among the most widely read magazines in America, at a time when magazines are no longer widely read. At the end of 2022, it had just under 1.8 million subscribers, according to the authoritative Alliance for Audited Media.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Iceland is expecting a volcanic eruption any day now; recent seismography points to a magma intrusion in the middle of the Reykjanes Peninsula, not too far northeast of the area that saw a long effusive eruption in 2021/22. The update as of today (July 9) is that magma is about half a kilometer below the surface and rising. Nothing is erupting yet as I write this, but there have been a bunch of different live cameras trained on the area of the expected eruption for a few days; they can easily be found by searching "Iceland Eruption" or similar on YouTube.

Updates as necessary. :)

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
About an hour and a half ago:

Free

When The Onion asks, I answer.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Orcas are still up to their yacht-sinking shenanigans.

A pod of orcas has sunk a yacht in the Strait of Gibraltar
For 45 minutes, the crew of the Grazie Mamma felt like they were under attack from below. A pod of orcas had zeroed in on the yacht's rudder as it made its way through the Strait of Gibraltar last week, and rammed it repeatedly, "causing major damage and leakage," according to the company that operated the boat.

Rescuers were able to save the crew and return them safely to port in Tanger-Med on the coast of Morocco. Their vessel, though, sank into the sea.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Another eruption yesterday. This one only lasted a day or so, and was much further away from Grindavik than the eruption last month that destroyed a couple of houses on the edge of town, so that was good - unfortunately, this tiny eruption emitted a single small stream of lava that was just long enough to reach and sever a pressurized water pipeline that was responsible for serving a centralized steam heating system for the entire Reykjanes Peninsula. So that's about 10 percent of the population of Iceland that now has no heat for their homes or businesses, in midwinter in below-zero temperatures. Needless to say, authorities are scrambling to build a new pipeline that bypasses the lava-damaged area, though the extreme cold is making the effort difficult.

• 1OMG!
  • 1Wow!
Reactions: Govi and Beebo Brink

Free

When The Onion asks, I answer.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Conservatives are gonna love this news.

Humpback sex photographed for first time – and both whales were male
Humpback whales have been observed having sex for the first time, with this landmark moment having an interesting twist – the two whales were male.

Despite decades of research on humpback whales, sightings of the male’s penis have been rare. Copulation by the species had not been documented by people – until now, when two photographers captured images of a sexual encounter between two whales off the coast of Hawaii.

Isabeau

Merdeuse
Cool.

Mount Etna in Sicily, the largest active volcano in Europe, has been blowing spectacular “smoke rings” into the sky since Wednesday. The “volcanic vortex rings”, a rare phenomenon that is generated by the combination of rapid gas release and the vent shape, spewed out of a new crater that opened on Tuesday on Etna’s summit.