Nobody Cares about History

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Unfortunately, the link to the archive in the article is 404 not found. It is not like The Guardian to make mistakes like that. Or perhaps they got overloaded and taken offline.
I think it may have been a temporary glitch -- I've just clicked the link and it connected me to

If that doesn't work, here's the Evernote Link

• 2Like
Reactions: Govi and Cindy Claveau
SL Rez
SLU Posts
The link in that article to the archive is broken. The link for the Old Lesbian Oral Herstory Project goes to http://www.olohp.org/ which is 404.

These are all stories pulled from the Old Lesbian Oral Herstory Project (OLOHP), a catalogue of more than 900 interviews with lesbian seniors in the US. Arden Eversmeyer, a retired Houston schoolteacher who devoted her retired years to campaigning for visibility for older lesbians, who she felt were missing from the cultural discussion, began interviewing women in 1998.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
The link in that article to the archive is broken. The link for the Old Lesbian Oral Herstory Project goes to http://www.olohp.org/ which is 404.
I see what you mean. The link for OLOHP seems to be broken (the url returned by a Google search is broken). However, by following some of the other links returned by the Google search I found these

which seem to cover at least some of the material.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts

This video is a little over an hour long, so it's a popcorn thing for sure, but you should definitely watch the whole thing. It's a roller coaster of emotions. It is both fantastic and terrible, it is both hilarious and depressing.

It's about the history of theme venues where kids get to learn about and pretend to have adult jobs, and deal with adult concerns like handling bank loans and maintaining a budget. I never got to go to one of these because honestly I don't remember one ever being opened in the Cleveland area when I was the target age, but I absolutely would have loved going to one. But also, while the fact that kids inherently love to pretend to be adults is enough of a reason all by itself to build an attraction like this, I also really hate the soulless and cynical other reasons so many of the adults quoted in the video give for why places like this are "important" and "good for kids".

Free

When The Onion asks, I answer.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Repetitive stress injuries are a common feature of modern life, especially for office workers who spend a good chunk of their working days at a desk typing on a computer. Apparently, scribes in ancient Egypt suffered from their own distinctive repetitive stress injuries, according to a new paper published in the journal Scientific Reports that provides fresh insights into how these scribes lived and worked during the third millennium BCE.

Egyptian kings, royal family members, and other elite people from this Fifth Dynasty era were buried in tombs in the acropolis at Abusir rather than at neighboring Giza, which by then had largely filled up thanks to all the activity during the Fourth Dynasty. The Czech Institute of Egyptology at Charles University in Prague has been conducting research at the site since 1960, leading to the discovery of nearly 200 tombs dating back to the Old Kingdom (between 2700 and 2180 BCE). The first human skeletons were excavated in 1976, and there are currently 221 Old Kingdom skeletons in the collection, 102 of which are male.

• 2Interesting
Reactions: Govi and Beebo Brink

Free

When The Onion asks, I answer.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Isabeau

Merdeuse
As we wrote about in 2021 when a “crusader sword” was pulled from the Mediterranean, we need to pay attention to the kinds of labeling that get deployed in media coverage of medieval objects. In this case, asserting the “legendary” status of Durendal is an editorial decision, not a piece of analysis or reporting. In this case, it’s repeating right-wing propaganda that uses history to justify a particular, violent narrative of “us” against “them.” The historian’s job - the keen observer’s job - is to say “it’s more complicated than that” (because it always is) and to point out that anyone telling such an unmuddied story about the past kind is selling something.
I would say that it not only applies to the media covering medieval objects.

Good little read.

• 1Agree
  • 1Like
Reactions: Govi and Innula Zenovka