Nobody Cares about History

Free

Antifa-tigued
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
In the Middle Ages, impotence was one of the few grounds on which a woman could successfully obtain a divorce, since the Catholic Church believed that spouses owed the “marital debt” of sex to one another. But in order to confirm the husband’s impotence and to ensure that the woman wasn’t simply making false claims to escape the sacrament of marriage — after all, women were thought to be inherently less trustworthy and more prone to lying than men — the courts needed witnesses.

Sometimes these “witnesses” were a little more like investigators. Medieval historian Bronach Kane examines some of these cases in Impotence and Virginity in the Late Medieval Ecclesiastical Court of York, noting how physical inspections of genitals and breasts by the defendant’s friends and neighbors were used to determine impotence, virginity and pregnancy in church court cases.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
This is really interesting -- some of the names were familiar to me as Members of Parliament (predominantly Conservative) who supported Churchill when he was an isolated figure on the Conservative back benches, warning against Hitler, and I was aware some of them were gay, but I had never realised there was any sort of organised gay opposition to Hitler in pre-war British politics (not surprising, since they had to be discreet about their sexuality) but it makes sense that they would have been particularly attracted to the gay scene in Weimar Berlin, and thus particularly aware of what was happening to their friends and lovers in Germany.

SL Rez
SLU Posts
Here's another one.

GENGHIS KHAN, THE fearsome Mongolian warrior of the 13th century, may have done more than rule the largest empire in the world; according to a recently published genetic study, he may have helped populate it too.
An international group of geneticists studying Y-chromosome data have found that nearly 8 percent of the men living in the region of the former Mongol empire carry y-chromosomes that are nearly identical. That translates to 0.5 percent of the male population in the world, or roughly 16 million descendants living today.
From this article, though from what I gather lover is the wrong word. Raper is more like it.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Innula Zenovka

Free

Antifa-tigued
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
At a cave in Southern California, archaeologists recently found centuries-old bundles of hallucinogenic plants tucked into crevices in the low ceiling, near a painting that may depict a flower from the same plant, called datura. The painted images may have been a visual aid to help people understand the rituals they experienced in the cave.

Makes it sort of a quasi Whole Earth Catalog or High Times idea behind it.