Nobody Cares about History

SL Rez
SLU Posts
Here’s a lovely research article by Lauren Cole and Hannah Victoria (in a free and excellent scholarly ebook called Medieval Mobilities: Gendered Bodies, Spaces, and Movements)
That looks like it could be interesting to read but the link given says it is not free, it is $29.95.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Innula Zenovka

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
That looks like it could be interesting to read but the link given says it is not free, it is $29.95.
Several people raise that point in the comments. The author of the article replies
Argh! I was logged in through my university VPN and didn't realize it, so thought it was open access. This is 100% my fault.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

Piece about the great disparity between the number of jobs advertised in US university history departments for modern (post 1500 CE) and pre-modern history.

It goes on to say,
Last year there were wonderful ancient and medieval European and Mediterranean history jobs in North Carolina, Tennessee, and Texas. A premodernist on the job market cannot afford to overlook these jobs, and yet, the political situation in these states includes the rapid destruction of the rights of women, trans people, other members of the LGBTQ community, an intensification of racist violence, and other forces that would make it impossible, or at least both difficult and scary, to move to those states. So it’s a collapsing field, but also a collapsing field in which the relatively few positions will mostly be filled by the relatively few people who are able to move into a fascist state.

SL Rez
SLU Posts
  • 2Thanks
Reactions: Beebo Brink and Lexxi
SL Rez
SLU Posts
This story is about the Mutter Museum in Philadelphia. This museum specializes in displaying human remains. The article writes about the ethics involved. It is a really odd museum. I visited about 20 years ago.

Free

When The Onion asks, I answer.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I most definitely did not know this (until now).

• 1Like
Reactions: Cindy Claveau

Cindy Claveau

Radical Left Degenerate
SL Rez
Joined SLU
June 2007
SLU Posts

Piece about the great disparity between the number of jobs advertised in US university history departments for modern (post 1500 CE) and pre-modern history.

It goes on to say,
I think the biggest waste of time in my life was the years I spent studying American History. I got the degree, but about all it's good for these days is arguing on the internet :sneaky: .

When I finally entered the work force, I ended up working in call center management and never touched history.

Last edited:

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
I think the biggest waste of time in my life was the years I spent studying American History. I got the degree, but about all it's good for these days is arguing on the internet :sneaky: .

When I finally entered the work force, I ended up working in call center management and never touched history.
I teach engineers to write. Pays way more than history or museums ever did.

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
Anglo-Saxon Burials Are Challenging Our Understanding of Gender Identity : ScienceAlert
There are a significant number of Anglo-Saxon burials where the estimated anatomical sex of the skeleton does not align with the gender implied by the items they were buried with.

Some bodies identified as male have been buried with feminine clothing, and some bodies identified as female have been found in the sorts of "warrior graves" typically associated with men.
Atypically gendered burials are generally excluded as "outliers" in excavation reports and subsequent research. This relies on the anachronistic idea that historical societies followed a system of sex, gender and sexuality aligning with 19th-century western standards.

This idea is so common that many people believe these three aspects of humanity have remained unchanged throughout history. But such an approach may mean that there are aspects of how gender was understood in early Anglo-Saxon England (circa CE 450 to 750) that are going unrecognized today.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts