Nobody cares about food.

Clara D.

FOR PRESIDENT 2020!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
I never thought of using chorizo instead of hamburger! I like that idea.
It works nicely because it takes about 15-20 minutes to cook up the chorizo, which syncs with the time to make pasta (boil water + 10min cook time). And it's pre-spiced (though I supplement with more garlic and oregano), so it's just noodles, chorizo, and cheese.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Rose Karuna

Free

10K under the hat
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Too hot out for goulash. It got up to 103 today, and is supposed to climb to 107 by Saturday. I'll just sip on ice cold daiquiris.
As a kid my mom would take leftover (American) goulash she made for dinner and put it on sandwiches. You can add cheese, vegetables, a sauce.

Isabeau

Merdeuse
Ok, I just looked up goulash in wiki (I had no idea it was made with hamburger meat and macaroni in US and Canada). It seems every country has there version... really interesting. Even in th Philippines. I’m used to stew/beef chunks.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Kamilah Hauptmann

Kamilah Hauptmann

A bit of a wanker
SL Rez
Ok, I just looked up goulash in wiki (I had no idea it was made with hamburger meat and macaroni in US and Canada). It seems every country has there version...
Out west we're dotted with towns founded by settlers from all sorts of random eastern European countries, each indeed has their own version.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Isabeau

Free

10K under the hat
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I’m used to stew/beef chunks.
I've made several versions over the years, including a Southern style one (a bit too soupy for me). I like the Hungarian/stew beef style, but I'm used to having macaroni in my goulash.

Clara's use of chorizo makes me want to add another version to my arsenal.

Last edited:

Isabeau

Merdeuse
It’s with cantaloupe I have the most trouble. It’s difficult to smell them in an air conditioned store.

“The best way to pick a cantaloupe is by smell. The fruit should have a sweet, slightly musky scent. A good cantaloupe feels heavy for its size, has a rind that resembles raised netting, and has a stem end that yields slightly when pressed with your thumb.“

Rose Karuna

Old and Cranky Xherdan
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
A recipe for Darnk, as promised, a chocolate mayonnaise cake, very similar to the one my Mom used to make. Believe it or not, it's delicious!
I will have to admit I have never had chocolate mayonnaise before. It sounds intriguing. I may have to conduct some experiments.

• 1Like
Reactions: Rose Karuna
SL Rez
SLU Posts
Yup. The gall of a buck goat gets me every time.
That ingredient and others from days of yore are hard to find. I discovered some new recipes nonetheless.

From: Leechdoms, Wortcunning, and Starcraft of Early England page 349, section V. Painting of a common he goat.

Put in spoiler tags just because it is long.

V. Painting of a common he goat.
1. For blood running from the nose, a mountain buck , that is, a wood buck or goat, a liver of this,
broken up with vinegar, and thrust into the nostril, wonderfully rathely it stilleth the blood running.

2. For brightness of eyes, gall of a wild buck min gled with field bees a honey , and smeared on ; the brightness cometh to them .

3 . That ilk may, or, is strong, against sore of fauces, mingle the gall and honey together ; touch the fauces therewith ; it healeth .

4 . For all inconveniences that be produced in the fauces, a wood goats gall mingled with honey of field bees,b there shall be added , weighed to a like weight,
myrrh, and pepper, and crocus, or saffron ; seethe all in wine, till it be well wrought into a salve ; then
smear the sore chops therewith , each day , till that
they heal.

5 . For dimness of eyes, mingle together a wood goats gall and a little of wine; smear therewith
thrice ; then be they healed .

6 . For a spotted face, a wood bucks gall, or a goats, mingled with water, and smeared on ; quickly it cureth .

7. For granulations which wax upon the face ,smear with goats gall ; it will cleanse all the specks off the face, and diminish all the unsightlyness.

8. For sore of ears, and sounding in them , a wood goats gall mingled with new oil, or with apples juice,a
and lukewarm ; put into the ears ; it healeth them .

9. For tooth ache, mingle a wood goats gall with oil ; smear very frequently with that; then they, the teeth , shall be hole.

10. For sore or wound of the orchis bag,b mingle a mountain goats gall with honey ; apply to the sore ; it healeth well.

11. cAd mulieris voluptatem augendam ; cum ture capreoli fel commisceto , et cum urticæ semine ; hoc unge veretrum ante quam ad tori concubitum iverint ; sic in ista copulatione mulier voluptatem percipiet.

12. Lest a child be falling, that is, be sick of epilepsy, the falling sickness, or dream of an apparition , draw a mountain goats brain through a golden ring ; give it to the child to swallow before it tastes milk ; it will be healed .

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
That ingredient and others from days of yore are hard to find. I discovered some new recipes nonetheless.

From: Leechdoms, Wortcunning, and Starcraft of Early England page 349, section V. Painting of a common he goat.

Put in spoiler tags just because it is long.

V. Painting of a common he goat.
1. For blood running from the nose, a mountain buck , that is, a wood buck or goat, a liver of this,
broken up with vinegar, and thrust into the nostril, wonderfully rathely it stilleth the blood running.

2. For brightness of eyes, gall of a wild buck min gled with field bees a honey , and smeared on ; the brightness cometh to them .

3 . That ilk may, or, is strong, against sore of fauces, mingle the gall and honey together ; touch the fauces therewith ; it healeth .

4 . For all inconveniences that be produced in the fauces, a wood goats gall mingled with honey of field bees,b there shall be added , weighed to a like weight,
myrrh, and pepper, and crocus, or saffron ; seethe all in wine, till it be well wrought into a salve ; then
smear the sore chops therewith , each day , till that
they heal.

5 . For dimness of eyes, mingle together a wood goats gall and a little of wine; smear therewith
thrice ; then be they healed .

6 . For a spotted face, a wood bucks gall, or a goats, mingled with water, and smeared on ; quickly it cureth .

7. For granulations which wax upon the face ,smear with goats gall ; it will cleanse all the specks off the face, and diminish all the unsightlyness.

8. For sore of ears, and sounding in them , a wood goats gall mingled with new oil, or with apples juice,a
and lukewarm ; put into the ears ; it healeth them .

9. For tooth ache, mingle a wood goats gall with oil ; smear very frequently with that; then they, the teeth , shall be hole.

10. For sore or wound of the orchis bag,b mingle a mountain goats gall with honey ; apply to the sore ; it healeth well.

11. cAd mulieris voluptatem augendam ; cum ture capreoli fel commisceto , et cum urticæ semine ; hoc unge veretrum ante quam ad tori concubitum iverint ; sic in ista copulatione mulier voluptatem percipiet.

12. Lest a child be falling, that is, be sick of epilepsy, the falling sickness, or dream of an apparition , draw a mountain goats brain through a golden ring ; give it to the child to swallow before it tastes milk ; it will be healed .
We have definitely come a long way, medically speaking. That stuff was actually a tad disturbing!