Nobody cares about food.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
Feeling sad about not being able to find any coconut Dr Pepper but, I got a hold of some coconut Toffifee today and they are amazing! I’m going back to Canadian Tire tomorrow and getting a few more as they are for a limited time.

You got those in a tire store?

Isabeau

Merdeuse
They’re like a giant garage/hardware store/walmart without produce or dairy. Not my favourite place to shop, but needed to make some keys, and passed through the snack area next to the cash registers. Thats how they get you… 😔

Free

When The Onion asks, I answer.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
"THERE ARE 4 LIGHTS!"

• 1Agree
Reactions: CronoCloud Creeggan

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
  • 1Like
Reactions: Innula Zenovka

Free

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

• 1Beer
Reactions: Katheryne Helendale

Casey Pelous

Senior Discount
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
February, 2011
SLU Posts
I actually never knew that. I had always attributed the salad to early Romans.
You're at least 50% right. The word "salad" comes from the same Latin root as saline and salt -- in ancient Rome it meant some greens sprinkled with salt. Interesting to try the next time you're putting together a salad.

The Caesar part was from the restaurant in Mexico, though.

Free

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
My mom tried to sell me on fluffernutters when I was a kid. I didn't like the idea of dessert ingredients on white bread...

• 1Agree
Reactions: Isabeau

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
Joshua Weissman is cooking various old vintage recipes, giving them a try and then rating them.

Yummy stuff like "Ham and bananas Hollandaise", which are naked bananes wrapped in ham coated with mustard (which is in the video thumbnail and tastes as gross as it sounds), depression cake, which was made during the great depression out of cake crust, mostly water, some sugar, butter and flour or an aspic cake.

Oh the joy of looking at that, the loss of never having tasted it yet! Some of them thourh are really tasty like the upside down pineapple pie or spam upside down pie.

Last edited:
  • 1Gross
Reactions: Free

Rose Karuna

Always cooking something up
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
This is the last time I ever buy Kettle chips. They’re hard as rocks and small, and some of them are grey-black and nasty, and I’m just not gonna take it anymore. JUST SAY NO TO SALTED FLOOR TILES PASSING AS POTATO CHIPS.
I have seen poor quality on SEVERAL items at the grocery store in the last two years, which appears to have become progressively worse in 2023 and 2024.

Things like rotten produce (hidden in trays with plastic wrap covers) which I never buy anymore, hamburger with gristle that is just nasty 🤮, poor quality in frozen goods and packaged goods like you mentioned about kettle chips. Also I'm finding really outdated stuff still on the store shelves (I check dates on EVERYTHING). Not to mention that prices are about 25% higher and brand selection is about 50% less than it used to be.

I have started shopping at specialty markets instead of supermarkets (like Bravo, which is mainly Latin American). Their meat and produce are fresher and MUCH better quality than the local grocery store like Publix. Variety is also better.

For a couple of years now, cat food has been in short supply, with some brands disappearing completely from the shelves. :confusedcat: I now have to order it online to get what my cats eat and prices have tripled.

I'm not sure what the heck is going on in the US but when I went to various parts of Europe in May, I saw good quality and good brand variety in most of the grocery stores there. Also prices in Hungary, Austria, Germany, Italy and Netherlands were about 1/2 of what US prices are on things like meat, fish and fresh goods.

IMHO - I think the US has shot its self in the foot by allowing monopolies to consolidate farming and food processing and also by importing so many grocery items that could be grown here.

In Florida, we have turned about 75% of our local farms into paved-over gated communities. We are now suffering the "unintended consequences" of allowing this corporate greed and over development. Looking at climate change, over development and shipping issues (drought conditions at the Panama canal), this is not a problem that is going to go away anytime soon. What climate change will do to the food supply is super scary and I don't think politicians in the US will give a rats ass until it's way too late, if it's not already.

Isabeau

Merdeuse
I have seen poor quality on SEVERAL items at the grocery store in the last two years, which appears to have become progressively worse in 2023 and 2024.

Things like rotten produce (hidden in trays with plastic wrap covers) which I never buy anymore, hamburger with gristle that is just nasty 🤮, poor quality in frozen goods and packaged goods like you mentioned about kettle chips. Also I'm finding really outdated stuff still on the store shelves (I check dates on EVERYTHING). Not to mention that prices are about 25% higher and brand selection is about 50% less than it used to be.

I have started shopping at specialty markets instead of supermarkets (like Bravo, which is mainly Latin American). Their meat and produce are fresher and MUCH better quality than the local grocery store like Publix. Variety is also better.

For a couple of years now, cat food has been in short supply, with some brands disappearing completely from the shelves. :confusedcat: I now have to order it online to get what my cats eat and prices have tripled.

I'm not sure what the heck is going on in the US but when I went to various parts of Europe in May, I saw good quality and good brand variety in most of the grocery stores there. Also prices in Hungary, Austria, Germany, Italy and Netherlands were about 1/2 of what US prices are on things like meat, fish and fresh goods.

IMHO - I think the US has shot its self in the foot by allowing monopolies to consolidate farming and food processing and also by importing so many grocery items that could be grown here.

In Florida, we have turned about 75% of our local farms into paved-over gated communities. We are now suffering the "unintended consequences" of allowing this corporate greed and over development. Looking at climate change, over development and shipping issues (drought conditions at the Panama canal), this is not a problem that is going to go away anytime soon. What climate change will do to the food supply is super scary and I don't think politicians in the US will give a rats ass until it's way too late, if it's not already.
It’s an issue here, too. Retailers took advantage of the pandemic to increase their prices and are now making record profits. And as you say, the quality has deteriorated. Wouldn’t be surprised that they are squeezing their suppliers to the limit, and adding costs if they want to be displayed on the “right” shelves, etc.

They also make us go through hoops to get any kind of discount with loyalty cards and such.

I try as best as I can to buy produce that is grown locally. Not only to encourage local farmers, but also for quality. Fruits from elsewhere aren’t even actually ripe, they just look ripe, and taste of nothing.

I don’t think I’ll buy tomatoes anymore unless it’s summer and from the outdoor markets. Same with melons, if they’re not from here, they are tasteless.

I almost never buy anything unless it’s on sale, and go to different stores looking for the best quality/price. I‘m surrounded by all sorts of stores, though, and can adjust my schedule. Not sure how families with no time on their hands can cope.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Rose Karuna