Yay! Nobody Cares about Tickle Me Elmo Musk

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
Very prescient of Larry Niven in one of the Ringworld series, where they mod batteries into hand grenades for the fight with Teela Brown in a farming cavern under the map of Mars.

Or should that be Tesla Brown?

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Teela Musk is a better sf character name.

detrius

Joined SLU
09-30-2007
SLU Posts
Warning: grotesque imagery and violence ahead

Next up: Enlo buys YouTube.

Last edited:

Ryanna Enfield

Ok, but there are a million other reasons why we still have fuel-inefficient ICE cars on the road in America (Freedom!) and will have for some time to come.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Govi

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
The thing is: Musk has Aspergers syndrome. So you cannot expect him to fully act like a normal adult would anyway. People often tend to forget about that.

Aside that: yes, some of his projects are just downright dumb, like the Las Vegas Loop or hyperloop. This does not change the fact though how successful he became with Tesla.

Musk is not a good technician, but a good PR man in putting his mark on pretty old ideas and making them his own. That's his biggest strength.
So... here is my thoughts on this as someone who has a 50% chance of also being ASD [and an aspie-type] just from my ADHD, anda much higher chance based on scores [but they need to talk to my mom to actually diagnose - wip].

I do not act like Musk. and while sure, our brains work differently, but we're still people yadda yadda yadda is a good arguement, his behaviors are not aspie behaviors. His behaviors are NPD-type behaviors.

I have tried to research this, because there are still some aspie type behaviors he has too [like the whole sink visual pun thing], so here are my theories:

1: he is actually an aspie, but he has a bad case of Affluenza - he's always been sheltered from the consequences of his actions, and well, apparently still is being protected by mama. So, basically, utter cluelessness.

2: He's an aspie but he has the rare co-morbidity of NPD - apparently it does happen, but its really rare because the two do not go together well. You can't have double empathy and no empathy at the same time, at least not easily - but ASD is a spectrum so maybe he didn't get the double empathy. So, clueless but also thinks he's the only person who is real.

3: He isn't actually a diagnosed Aspie, but lied about it because it would make him look smarter because everyone knows Aspies are eccentric geniuses [yay stereotypes >.<] To me, this is evil, and is certainly a -very- NPD thing to do.

----------------------------

One, sure I'm a genius [like as in the testing psych told me I was] but I have average ability to focus, which is why I am definitely ADHD/ADD - my focus can't keep up with my brain.

Two, I'm like psychologically the opposite of an asshole. I might come off as one, but its because well, socially clueless, not because I'm a lying pos.

Three, continuing to spread the stereotypes of ASD, of which aspies are a part of [I refuse to use the name of the scientist who studied us just to try and eradicate us in camps with all the other undesirables] does more harm than good. Its already fucking hard for females to be diagnosed because its still associated with 'hyper masculine brain', and hard for adults to be diagnosed because everything is still based around children.
And even people who are well meaning will look at someone who doesn't present like Rainman or Sheldon from BBT and tell us 'No you aren't, you're just a <introvert/narcissist/eccentric/etc>' or 'You can't be autistic, I have autistic friends and they can't look people in the eyes' [thanks mom]

So, sure, my probably cousin Elon could still be an aspie, but he doesn't -feel- like one to me, and I know a LOT of ASD folks; diagnosed officially and not.
But it could be different if we met in person.

Final thing, because, I can't help how my brain works, and neither can other ND folks, of which NPD is one; I don't really blame Musk for being a schmuck, that's more on his enablers and those who manipulate him to their own ends. Same with others who are NDs. But just like I don't get a pass for my behaviors, neither should they.

But please, stop using ASD as an excuse. Its not one, and you're promoting harmful stereotypes in doing so.

I can't help how my brain works, but I am still a sentient being with freewill, and my actions are my own. My morality is too.

[Or you know, my brain function is sometimes a bit erratic, but it doesn't make me do things that actively violate laws or risk the safety and livelihood of others]

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
He's not the only one - a whole load of companies are buying-up perfectly good agricultural land in Wales, and planting trees purely for the carbon credits it gives them. When the UK runs out of home-grown food, we'll know why (or learn to eat wood...).
Can England even support itself with home grown food?

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
It's a spectrum, so many people (like myself) can over time train themselves to present normally. I also take very low dose antidepressents: my brain is no longer running in the red zone on the bio-tachometer.

I still don't look at people in their eyes but I'm a Norwegian/German Catholic from the upper midwest, that's normal up here.

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
It's a spectrum, so many people (like myself) can over time train themselves to present normally. I also take very low dose antidepressents: my brain is no longer running in the red zone on the bio-tachometer.

I still don't look at people in their eyes but I'm a Norwegian/German Catholic from the upper midwest, that's normal up here.
I -do- look people in the face. Sometimes its eyes, because I was always told that dishonest people won't look you in the eyes; sometimes its actually lips, because hyper sensitive hearing + ADD, it helps me narrow in on what I want to pay attention to.

But I can comprehend things better, in a quiet situation, if I'm looking down and stimming [but my stimming is usually knitting, crochet, tunisian crochet, doodling, chain mailling..... you get the idea.]

-------------
But the more I think about it, the more I think Musk is just so insecure and so wants people to approve of him that he's trying to make himself seem cooler, as if being so freaking rich isn't enough..... he doesn't do enough solipsistic stuff, I think. And I know that a lot of things I do would look NPD to someone who didn't know how ASD presents, which is why some people knew I was before I was as certain as I am now. Because dangerous stereotypes....