Nobody cares about Art

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
I would have thought a statue of Judith and Holofernes (instead of Medusa) would have made more sense, especially with the biblical reference as a shout out against male hegemony.

Free

When The Onion asks, I answer.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
If they don't recognise the myth, though, what are they supposed to make of the snakes in her hair?
You can keep squirming over this, Spock, but I'm done.

Isabeau

Merdeuse
To be blunt, I think I like it so much simply because of the violence it depicts. It says to me, No more! I will chop your fucking head off. That’s it, really. Anger, retribution personified. That’s what I feel when I see it. It speaks to me.

So many possibilities to choose from, it really doesn’t matter why she was chosen. Over two thousand years of stories and myths written in which the rape of women is accepted as just reality, nothing truly strange or rare, just something to build a story around, easily believed because it’s such a regular occurrence yet STILL, we are not believed unless there are ten other women with similar stories.

How could this be? they say shocked. Obviously you must be lying or misremembering... such an upstanding man.

Anyway, I can certainly understand why some would have preferred if they had chosen another artist but I like it.

I am woman, hear me roar chop your head off.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
This Monet parody made by Banksy just sold for 7.6 million pounds at Sotheby's in London.
One of the highest prices for an artwork from this world famous street artist from Bristol so far.

Title: Show Me The Monet.

Last edited:

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

Evernote link because paywall

Posted here because she was an artist (and a great chum of David Hockney) but also because it's such a great obituary -- I love Times obituaries when they commemorate not just "the great and the good" but also extraordinary and fun people like the late Marchioness.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

“You find this in medieval buildings,” Dr Jennifer Alexander told the Observer. “They’re usually in dark corners where only another stonemason would find them. This one is in a bit of the building where you’d have to be a stonemason to be up there to see it. It’s tucked away in among a whole set of capitals [the top of a column] that are otherwise plain.

“It’s just such a charming connection between us and the person that carved it. It’s almost as if it was designed just for us to see it by those people working on the building. Of course, this stonemason probably had no idea that he’d have to wait so long to be spotted.”

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Who was it that said “graffiti is as old as the pyramids?”

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
It wasn't me.

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
I think it was chiseled somewhere in Giza.