No-Mod Hair

Cristalle

Lady of the House
SL Rez
Joined SLU
July 8, 2008
SLU Posts
This is so depressing. Truth has gone no-mod with hair and it's annoying AF. Can't get rid of unnecessary mesh, and you're at the mercy of their color picker, which sucks and can't even get a consistent tint across hairs. I know they are not the only ones. Is hair theft really that bad, that honest people have to be punished?

I'm surprised an established creator would start making hair no-mod now, because it's absolutely not protecting that hair against any kind of theft. The only way to protect things from theft anywhere online is to not upload it. If it's online and visible then someone can steal it. I wonder if Truth have a new person doing scripts or something and those are changing the perms on the hair itself? With any luck it's a simple mistake, it's surprisingly easy to do sometimes :)

No-mod on hair is crap for tinting or sorting out some alpha settings. It also makes it a no-buy for anyone who switches between human and furry/animal heads etc. Modifiable unrigged styles can be resized and adjusted around my ears/head shape. No-mod can't. I really don't buy any no-mod stuff these days, but hairs are one item where mod is actually necessary for me. It'll be a shame if Truth stick with no-mod, I have a few of their hairs in my regular stash and they look fun on different heads. I'm going to need to be more careful if other brands do the same.

Cristalle

Lady of the House
SL Rez
Joined SLU
July 8, 2008
SLU Posts
I'm surprised an established creator would start making hair no-mod now, because it's absolutely not protecting that hair against any kind of theft. The only way to protect things from theft anywhere online is to not upload it. If it's online and visible then someone can steal it. I wonder if Truth have a new person doing scripts or something and those are changing the perms on the hair itself? With any luck it's a simple mistake, it's surprisingly easy to do sometimes :)

No-mod on hair is crap for tinting or sorting out some alpha settings. It also makes it a no-buy for anyone who switches between human and furry/animal heads etc. Modifiable unrigged styles can be resized and adjusted around my ears/head shape. No-mod can't. I really don't buy any no-mod stuff these days, but hairs are one item where mod is actually necessary for me. It'll be a shame if Truth stick with no-mod, I have a few of their hairs in my regular stash and they look fun on different heads. I'm going to need to be more careful if other brands do the same.
I don't think this is a mistake, I think this is quite intentional as they built a Color Picker into the HUD. And the Color Picker completely sucks, and the one I sent him a note card about was actually not working properly. The Luminosity bar had a line that was oriented the wrong way, and you couldn't actually control intensity the way it was intended.

I don't think this is a mistake, I think this is quite intentional as they built a Color Picker into the HUD. And the Color Picker completely sucks, and the one I sent him a note card about was actually not working properly. The Luminosity bar had a line that was oriented the wrong way, and you couldn't actually control intensity the way it was intended.
Ah, yeah that does sound intentional. Aside from the broken HUD ;)

TBH, all I'm seeing is time spent on something that offers no creator protection and just frustrates customers. Where other brands are still releasing hairs with HUDs for setting colour, resizing etc but leaving the hair modifiable too. I think this will create opportunities for those creators to pick up some new customers.

Plurabelle Laszlo

SL Rez
Joined SLU
I am not sure, but the reason for this trend might be that a lot of the bigger hair creators (including Truth) are now creating 'full alpha' hair which works with layers of alpha masked and blended hair textures. Playing with the alphas can/will mess up this kind of hair, and once ruined it's hard to fix.
That wouldnt keep me from selling fully modifiable hair, but my customer base is tiny compared to theirs, and I wouldn't have to deal with hundreds of complaints.

Wesleytron

Joined SLU
08-11-2014
SLU Posts
I am not sure, but the reason for this trend might be that a lot of the bigger hair creators (including Truth) are now creating 'full alpha' hair which works with layers of alpha masked and blended hair textures.
I was about to say pretty much the same thing. It's so people can't 'break' the alphas.

Playing with the alphas can/will mess up this kind of hair, and once ruined it's hard to fix.
If only there was some way of being able to redeliver any item a customer has broken. Oh, wait...

• 2Like
Reactions: Govi and Cristalle

Chalice Yao

The Purple
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2007
SLU Posts
I am not sure, but the reason for this trend might be that a lot of the bigger hair creators (including Truth) are now creating 'full alpha' hair which works with layers of alpha masked and blended hair textures. Playing with the alphas can/will mess up this kind of hair, and once ruined it's hard to fix.
That argument literally goes for any hair there is. Heck, any mod object in existance. Mess with the textures, mess with the alphas, mess with the dimensions, inventory, whatever...that's what mod is about. And it can break (and make) pretty much anything out there. This is nothing new.

The argument is especially dubious since the hair creators could make their HUD alpha switching *take care of any changed alphas or textures*. So if anything, their fancy hud is an argument *against* nomod. Oh the irony.

Instead we now get hair that nobody can fine-tint, remove scripts from, unlink unneeded parts from or in any other way tweak to your liking, unless the snowflake creator permits to do so. Maybe.
On the flipside we get hair models that are a multiple in size to download and for the client to handle, of which parts will never get used.

Wesleytron

Joined SLU
08-11-2014
SLU Posts
Yeah.. the "customers might break it" reason is always lame.

The customer can make copies first
The customer can unpack again
The customer can get redeliveries - even from marketplace now

Creators could easily include a packaged mod version in the main package for people to break to their heart's content.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Making it no mod won't stop the theft anyway.
Yeah, what annoys me is when someone thinks making something no mod is a way to stop copying. Figuring out how to make something no mod/no copy/no transfer (yes, all 3) and doing so routinely on all things you sell should be just cause for account termination.

Oh the customer might break it thing... damn I forgot that was even a thing with some creators. I'm sure those HUD monstrosities take a helluva lot more coding and customer support time than "oops I broke my hair" where you can just redeliver a fresh copy :)

I've only ever made things more modifiable over the years, it's never been something I regretted. I learned to build through dissecting and (mostly) re-assembling modifiable wearables and furniture. I know I'm never going to pre-empt all the things a customer wants to do with my stuff and I'm into modding so it seems entirely arse-backwards to lock products down and keep customers ignorant.

Val

n00b!1
Joined SLU
03/07/2017
SLU Posts
I seen this annoying trend with few shops recently which is worse when the hair is short and needs to be moved or resized :/ . Point in case is Dura. Whelp, I guess it means waiting till this trend stops along with alpha hair that lag to hell and back.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
When it comes to hair and clothing, I have a really simple rule: no-mod = no-sale. It was one of the first lessons I learned when I started SL nearly twelve years ago.

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
I was about to say pretty much the same thing. It's so people can't 'break' the alphas.
Who cares, it's only a copy. take another one out of the box.

Oh, you lost the box? OK, here's another.

If only there was some way of being able to redeliver any item a customer has broken. Oh, wait...
I don't even track if someone's a customer any more, if they say they have broken a product and can't find the box I just send them another.

NO MOD is simply abusive. The only exception is trading-card products like gatchas.

Wesleytron

Joined SLU
08-11-2014
SLU Posts
Who cares, it's only a copy. take another one out of the box.
I know. I certainly wasn't endorsing it as a reason! I said in a later post myself that it's a lame excuse. If the customer broke it, then they can just unpack the original box again. And provide redeliveries, one way or another (and the markeplace provides that as well now anyway). No excuse for no mod.

NO MOD is simply abusive. The only exception is trading-card products like gatchas.
...which of course does include hair in some cases (and frankly one of the most annoying examples of gacha).

Da5id Weatherwax

SL Rez
Joined SLU
08-20-2010
SLU Posts
no mod? no purchase. end of story. It's just not worth the hassle. The only no-mod items I own were gifts.

No-mod in inventory because of the item having no-mod contents is fine, but no-mod on the item itself means it gets none of my cash, ever. If that means I have a restricted wardrobe well that's ok, I'm a guy. 2/3 of my RL tshirts are the same color anyway.