No Application Dev Kits...

bubblesort

Here is my collection of dev kits you don't need to apply for. It's been a folder in my favorites for a while, so I decided to make it a community resource for anybody starting out who wants to make stuff for bodies that don't require a team of lawyers to get a dev kit for.

Some people call them no bullshit dev kits, but I think that's a bit harsh. I mean, I'm as annoyed at Maitreya and Belliza as the next aspiring SL fashion designer, but what they do is industry standard for the games industry. There are similar application processes to get your hands on the latest Cry engine, for example. We might think it's dumb, but it is the way it is. So if you aren't cool enough for Maitreya to take your call, it's ok, we can still have fun with other bodies. The bodies listed here are extremely diverse, in styles ranging from realistic to grotesque. Most furry avatars have freely available dev kits. Most of the kits I list here don't cost any lindens.

I included some notes about how to get these, what version number each armature is when you open the dev kit, and how well they update. I am updating all of these in Blender 2.79b, with avastar 2.79.6(6). I have Blender 2.82 and Avastar 2.81.1 running on it, but it's still in beta phase. I've found that in general, if a dev kit updates in 2.79, it will update fine in 2.82. The avastar documentation on converting dev kits can be found here. The avastar discord can be found here.

Keep in mind, I'm kind of a hobbyist at Blender, so you might be able to convert some of these easier than I can, if you know more than me. Also, I'm not sure how important updating the rig to the most current avastar rig might be for any project you might be working on, but when I get a new dev kit I always try updating it before using it.

Some of these might have odd things in their TOS, or cost a few lindens. For example, the Utilizator bodies have weird rules for cutting parts of the mesh and reselling it as clothing (who does that?). Another example: the Tonic kit costs 100L. The only thing these dev kits all have in common is that they don't require any special permission or applications to get your hands on them legally.

Just remember to double check the files for a TOS text file with these, if you plan to use them commercially. It's not my fault if you accidentally break a contract.

These are in no particular order. Every time I look for more of these I find more new ones I hadn't seen before. Post any that I missed in the comments, and will update this list when I can.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

eBody Classic and Curvy -- current avatar version: 2.79 (no updates needed!)
Get the texture templates for 1L from the eBody in world store (they look like standard SL system clothing templates to me).
There are two bodies in one blend file, here: Curvy and Classic. You switch between the different bodies, and body components, by clicking the visibility eye icon in the outliner. They include a lot of components here that other body developers leave out, like socks and gloves. If you are looking to build a market with noobs, learning eBody might be a good way to go, because they do offer a free mesh body version of both their curvy and classic bodies.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tonic Curvy Beauty -- current avastar version: 2.4.44
Tonic Fine Beauty -- current avastar version: 2.4.44
Tonic sells the mesh dev kit for 100L, and the texture dev kit for 1L, and they also have a head dev kit for 1L. I'm not trying to a dev kit critic here, but I have to say I'm very impressed with the thoughtfulness of the layout of the .blend file they distribute. When you open it, you will see what I mean. It's just an elegant layout. Other developers should learn from this. You get a blend file for avastar 1, and one for avastar 2, and a few other files that I have not yet played with much yet, but I will. In one blend file, they give you bodies for the Fine and Curvy body types, and each body type has a high, medium, and low foot version. In other words, there are 6 bodies in the blend file, all rigged to one armature. You change the body with the visibility eye icon in the outliner. They updated almost without issue for me. The trick to updating them is you have to make all the bodies visible at once, all on top of each other, and then hit the update button. If you update with one of them invisible, it will mess up the rigging on the invisible body.

Eve & Adam: Adam -- current avastar version: 1.5.9
Eve & Adam charges $150 per kit, and they sell two kits per body: One for the body, and one for the hands. 300L isn't bad, but it's more than Tonic charges. The strange thing about this kit is that the Eve & Adam site says they use Blender 2.79, and avastar 2.1.1, but the body they provide is 1.5.9. On update, the upper body gets massive, like the muscles slider is slid all the way up. It doesn't seem to respond normally to fitmesh sliders, and cleanup rig button doesn't help. This one is just not going to update right.

Eve & Adam: Adam Bento Hand -- current avastar version: 2.0.54
Updating breaks the rig by moving the hands away from the armature. I haven't figured out a way to update it.

Eve & Adam: Eve -- current avastar version: 2.1.1
Updates nicely, but hit cleanup rig after you update.

Eve & Adam: Eve Bento Hand -- current avastar version: 2.0.50
Updates nicely, but hit cleanup rig after you update.

Eve & Adam: Eveboy -- current avastar version: 2.0.50
Updates nicely, but hit cleanup rig after you update. This is the only body that does not come with hands, probably because it is androgynous, so it works with either female or male hands.

PsiCorp: Core Nova Androgynous -- current avastar version: 2.5.1
Updates nicely.

PsiCorp: Core Nova Female -- current avastar version: 2.5.1
Updates nicely.

PsiCorp: Core Nova Male -- current avastar version: 2.5.1
Updates nicely.

ExMachina: Evolve -- current avastar version: 2.3.2
Get this dev kit from the kiosk in the in world store. This one was kind of a pain to update, because it came with extra body parts, and just hitting the update button deformed the mesh. I had to hide the extra body parts on a different layer, then move the armature from layer 11 to layer 1, then unbind the mesh, update it, clean it, and rebind it with keep. After that, it worked fine.

====================================================

The forum is saying I can't post more than 10k characters per post, so I'm going to continue this list in the next comment.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: Chalice Yao

bubblesort

Continuing the list...

Sking Da Bull -- current avastar version: 2.0.23
The only way to get this is to click a kiosk at the Sking main store.
This one took some work to get it updated properly. I got some help from the Avastar discord chat to do it. Here's what I did, in Blender 2.79b:
1.) Move the Armature down to 0,0,0
2.) Unbind the mesh
3.) Apply all transforms to the mesh
4.) Remove the Data transfer modifier from the Mesh
5.) Select the armature
6.) Put it in rest position
7.) Update rig
8.) Bind the mesh with "Keep weights" in Avastar 2.79 or "Preserve weights" in Avastar 2.81
9.) Put it in pose position to animate

Sking Katena -- current avastar version: 1.5.9

Sking Amasonia -- current avastar version: 1.7.2
You get Katena and Amazonia from the same in world store you get Da Bull from, but from a different kiosk. They are both in the same .blend file. Use the visibility icons in the outliner to change between bodies (click the eye icons)
Both of these updated in Blender 2.79b normally. No exploding mesh like what happened with Da Bull.

Genreal note about Sking: If you want help rigging for bodies like this, Sking has a youtube channel where they show their rigging process. It's interesting to watch, even if you aren't planning on working with these bodies.

Anthro Anim: Bimbo Lady -- unknown avastar version
The body is turned 90 degrees the wrong way on the z axis. I tried unbinding, updating the rig and rebinding with keep, but updating still broke the rig. The rig doesn't seem usable if you don't update it, though. The bones are just a few little dots where the face is. There don't seem to be any visible body bones. I'm not sure what to make of this one.

Anthro Anim: Bimbo Lady New Slim -- current avastar version: 2.5.1
Updates nicely.

Utilizator Avatar 2.0 -- current avastar version: 2.0.43
This dev kit looks broken to me. There are two complete armatures in one blend file, an old one and a new one. The old one has the upper body rigged to it properly, and the new one has the lower body rigged to it properly, and the old one has it's waist at 0,0,0, and the new one has it's feet at 0,0,0. I don't think the old one has a lower body, and the new one has no upper body. The rigging seems ok, I guess? I don't know what to do with this. The included text file wasn't helpful. I didn't even try to update it.
Important note: Pay attention to the text file included with this dev kit! You can resell parts of this body, but they require a 2-20% profit share, depending on how much of their avatar mesh you use. So unless you want to deal with asset splitting, don't just knife and resize the legs to make pants.

Utilizator Kemono -- current avastar version: 2.0.23
The hands break when I tried to update it in Blender 2.79b. The armature is not at 0,0,0, which is probably what is causing the problem. It is so far off center, that unbinding it and moving it pulls it too far away from the mesh to rebind it properly. I never figured out how to update the dev kit.
Also, don't cut parts of this and sell it as your own product, unless you want to do a revenue split with the creator.

Utilizator Rikugou -- current avastar version: Unknown
I tried opening it in Avastar 2.79.6, and it did not show a version number for the armature. I tried hitting update, and it turned the armature sideways and broke the rigging. I don't know how to fix that.

Utilizator also has textures, head dummies, and chest dummies on their download page, but I have not tinkered with them yet.

Orange Nova: Bifrost Bunny -- current avastar version: Unknown
Bifrost Bunny comes in male and female, as two different .blend files. To update, I had to unbind the mesh, click the armature and update it, then click the mesh and change the Y and Z rotations to 0. Then I bound the mesh, using keep, and it works great.

Orange Nova: Dvalinn Deer -- current avastar version: 2.0.50
Updates nicely.

Orange Nova: Snaggletooth Kobold -- current avastar version: 1.2.0
On update, most of the bones just disappear. I have no idea where they went. I don't even know where to begin with troubleshooting that. This is the oldest rig I have tried to convert, so I"m not surprised it gives problems.

Orange Nova: Slugger Shark -- current avastar version: 1.5.9
Updating breaks it. It is also rigged funny. It animates with the deform bone groups, not with the animation bone groups.

Orange Nova: Nauha Dummy -- no armature
I don't know what to make of this. There is no armature at all. It's a mannequin, with no eyes, but lots of different sized breasts. It looks well made, but I don't know what to do with it, exactly... maybe rig it myself? Is this really a dev kit? They call it a dev kit. Whatever, it's free. I"m not complaining.

Orange Nova: Skadi Sergal -- no armature
This dev kit is in the .ma format, for Maya. I don't use maya, so I don't know anything about it.

Orange Nova: Snokra Snake -- current avastar version: 2.0.50
Updates nicely. No surprises.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Chalice Yao and Stora

bubblesort

Pigu: What makes Piggu dev kits different is that these dev kits were made in maya, so they are not avastar rigs at all. They are still very nice dev kits, they are just a little different. The bones are all smaller than avastar users are used to, but they still function properly.

The thing to remember about all three of these kits is that the avastar controls won't work on these rigs. The first thing you will miss about that is the x-ray bones, especially because the bones on these avatars are tiny. So to make the armature visible through the mesh, you have to select the armature in object mode, then go to the Properties panel, and select Object. Under Object, look for the Display section. You will find the x-ray checkbox there. Check it to see the bones through the mesh.

They all include .dae files. If you import the .dae files, instead of using the .blend files, make sure that 'Import Units' is checked on the lower right hand side of the importer, or else the mesh will import too small to be useful.

They are no application dev kits, but they cost a few lindens. June costs 50L. Jonathan and Jamie cost 100L each.

Piggu: Jamie -- current avastar version: Not an avastar rig
Jamie's dev kit comes with a blend file, a maya file, an OBJ and a DAE. It also comes with a blender add on file you have to install to get the blend file to open right. This is all explained in well written notecards that come with the dev kit. The body to animate is on layer 1, the armature is on layer 11, and the blue body to export to marvelous designer is on layer 6. Yes... you read that right. This dev kit comes with a mesh that is already rotated properly for Marvelous Designer! This is a really thoughtful dev kit.

Piggu: Jonathan -- current avastar version: Not an avastar rig
Jonathan comes with a .dae and a .ma file. So you import the .dae file into blender, but when you do, make sure that 'Import Units' is checked on the right hand side of the importer.

Piggu: June -- current avastar version: Not an avastar rig
June comes with things laid out much like Jamie, but it looks like there are two armatures on top of each other? It animates fine, there is just an extra set of bones that don't move when you animate. I just hid the extra bones and it works fine.. This one also comes with a Marvelous Designer project file.

The Prop Shop: Louisbody -- current avastar version: 2.0.30
This kit costs 200L on the marketplace, and it updates smoothly. Just remember to turn on shape bones in rig display, and you probably want to change the pivot point from cursor to active element before you post it. This is easily most unique human dev kit I've seen so far, because it's so skinny. It is the polar opposite of what devs like Sking make. This is the kind of avatar you would need to shoot a nazi concentration camp machininma.

The Models: Aiko -- current avastar version: 1.5.9(2)
Updating seems to go smoothly, but it makes the deform bones huge. They look funny, but if you hide them they don't get in the way, and I don't think they hurt anything. The shape sliders still work allright. The deform bones are just big.

The Models: Curvy Tentacion -- current avastar version: 1.7.2
The file is called La Bomba Curvy, which is easy to confuse with La Bomba. The armature is hidden on layer 11, with the mesh on layer 1. It throws errors on update, and a new unbound armature is generated, just slightly offset from the bound armature a little. Just move a limb around so you can grab the unbound armature, go to object mode and hide it so it doesn't get in the way. It seems to pose just fine, despite the errors and weirdness.

The Models: La Bomba -- current avastar version: 1.7.2
Updates nicely. Looks almost identical to the Curvy Tentacion.

The Models: Hammer -- current avastar version: 1.7.2
This is The Models's male avatar. To get this to update properly, I had to unbind it, update the armature, then rebind with keep.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: Chalice Yao

bubblesort

HONORABLE MENTIONS:

There are some developers who make their bodies available to people who message them to ask for it. Technically, there isn't an application to fill out, so they are kind of no application dev kits. I don't know if having to ask for the dev kit, instead of just clicking a link on a web site, is really in accordance with the spirit of this list. I'm going to give them honorable mentions, anyway, just because they seem so easy to get. The makers responded to me within hours when I asked them for information, and I'm a nobody, so they are easy to deal with. There is no paperwork, and it's almost as easy as clicking a link on a web site.
KJ Bodies: Message KJ Eno (kjartaneno) for a dev kit

KJ Man Body (adult) -- current avastar version: 2.79.0
No update necessary.

KJ Boy Body (kid) -- current avastar version: 2.79.0
No update necessary.

Last edited:

bubblesort

This list is as complete as I can make it right now. If you have any bodies to add, or if you spotted any mistakes, please let me know in the thread below this post.

Last edited: March 7, 2000

Last edited: