New to Second Life

Commander GreyFox

i'm lookign for someone who's willing to show me around second life and how to use it. i love virtual worlds and enjoy talking with people online. i tried playing second life when i was younger but i had a hard time knowing where to go and how to setup my character's look. if anyone is willing to help me you're more than welcome to message me on discord at CommanderGreyFox#2222

Han Held

Joined SLU
September, 2010
SLU Posts
Oh, goody...

Sid

Today I might do amazing things but, first coffee.
SL Rez
Joined SLU

Sorry that I can't be the one to guide you trough the essentials of SL.
June demands a lot of real life time from me.
Of course you can ask all your questions about SL here on VVO.

• 1Like
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Han Held

Joined SLU
September, 2010
SLU Posts

Sorry that I can't be the one to guide you trough the essentials of SL.
June demands a lot of real life time from me.
Of course you can ask all your questions about SL here on VVO.
That said;
1)There's no experience like experience ...inworld.
2)SL has a question and answers forum which probably has a higher percentage of people able and willing to be of "new user" assistance
3)I'd be pretty surprised if OP is an actual new user and is more likely someone bored and trolling. (hence my response)

Seriously? We're pretty far afield for someone brand-spanking new to find us, and of course it's [air quote]interesting[/air quote] that they want us to reach out to them on discord.

My serious advice to someone new? LOG IN, do a search for "caledon oxbridge" and/or "NCI Kuula" and go talk to the people who are actually in world, about being inworld. If that doesn't work, you can't figure out how to search or whatever ...try the Answers section of the SL forums.

That said, I save my serious side for folks I think are serious...

Chin Rey

Lag fighter
SL Rez
Welcome to Second Life and this forum, GreyFox.
I think Han underestimate how popular Virtualverse is, of course people will come here first before they find LL's own official forum! ^_^
But the advice she gave is sound and don't expect any response on Discord.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Han Held

Myficals

Pop!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Feb 2010
SLU Posts
3)I'd be pretty surprised if OP is an actual new user and is more likely someone bored and trolling. (hence my response)
Not only is it a shitty, nasty and ignorant thing to do, but treating someone like a troll when the only evidence is inside your head, is a good way of turning them into one.

Seriously, can we save the accusations of trolling for when the evidence is a little more concrete than "new user."

Han Held

Joined SLU
September, 2010
SLU Posts
Not only is it a shitty, nasty and ignorant thing to do, but treating someone like a troll when the only evidence is inside your head, is a good way of turning them into one.

Seriously, can we save the accusations of trolling for when the evidence is a little more concrete than "new user."
You do you, and I'll do me -which is apparently shitty and ignorant. 🤷

Han Held

Joined SLU
September, 2010
SLU Posts
Welcome to Second Life and this forum, GreyFox.
I think Han underestimate how popular Virtualverse is, of course people will come here first before they find LL's own official forum! ^_^
But the advice she gave is sound and don't expect any response on Discord.
Thank you. :flower: I don't know about "of course", but I can totally buy that I under-estimated Virtualverse's pagerank.

And I think Adeon is correct that the OP doesn't intend on coming back; but I could be wrong (shitty and ignorant I may be -but I do acknowledge that I'm not infallible, or prescient)

Knutz Scorpio

SL Rez
Joined SLU
02-15-2014
I tend to feel the same way about this as Han does. Someone that comes here for help but can't be bothered to stay here for the responses rubs me the wrong way.

• 1Thanks

Myficals

Pop!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Feb 2010
SLU Posts
You do you, and I'll do me -which is apparently shitty and ignorant. 🤷
If by "doing you" you mean pass judgement on a potential new user without any actual evidence to back up your assumptions then yes, it is shitty and ignorant.

It's not exactly a good advertisement for us as a welcoming community.

• 2Agree
Reactions: Tigar and Sid

Aeon Jiminy

Back in the old days, you used to be able to walk someone through a crash SL course in one evening on $10 dollars and still be able to take them to a club and show them some of the fun things about the place. Day two you could help them find a place to live. Now you need to host several weeks of boot camp, financial advising, and perform extensive reconstructive surgery to give them a fighting chance. Ugh, don't have the energy. Yea, definitely a troll.

• 1Thanks

Han Held

Joined SLU
September, 2010
SLU Posts
It's not exactly a good advertisement for us as a welcoming community.
Don't sweat it -any damage I may have done to our reputation as a welcoming community has surely been undone by your insistence on quarreling with me after I've conceded your point and tried to walk away from the flamage.

Because it's a common venue and people camp on it all day.
That doesn't answer why we'd go to them there, instead of answering here or inworld.

• 1LOL
Reactions: Tigar

NyteWytch

What's good, Miley?
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
SLU Posts
Some people just love the ease of conversation in a chat client and community. Discord has become a staple for some people to easily chat in. Yes, some things you will be better at having explained in world...but people like what they like. *hides my discord addiction*

• 1Agree
Reactions: Cristiano

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
Because it's a common venue and people camp on it all day.
That said, the best way to ingratiate yourself with a community (and a forum like this is very much a community) is to participate in it, not try to draw the discussion off-site. OP may very well be a genuine new user in need of veteran help, and may well have come across this site with a quick Google search, but honestly, his/her approach to requesting help seems suspect.

Clara D.

FOR PRESIDENT 2020!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
I guess we're switching from welcome pie to welcome popcorn.

Posting to a forum with "email/yahoochat/discord/livejournal/facebook/whatever MEH!" is a terrible way to start.
The point of a forum being that you discuss things *HERE,* not drive-by spam us with extraneous contact information.

If they actually return I predict "GRAET THINGZ" will happen. I hope they do since our last chewtoy cut things short
by having a couple of goes at the forum owner...

• 1Agree
Reactions: Knutz Scorpio

Clara D.

FOR PRESIDENT 2020!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts