New starter avatars

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Wow, that IS an improvement!

Especially good to read this:

Each avatar has been created utilizing some of the latest features in Second Life such as Bento - and have also been created with a focus on optimization to keep the avatar complexity below 30,000 (with most coming in around 10,000- 20,000).

• 2Like
Reactions: Govi and Sean Gorham

EmpressOfCommunism

Too Cute for Capitalism ❤️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
They finally got themselves a starter avvie designer that is aware of the existence of fashion.
I kind of miss the bollywood and attempt at furries, however.

Myficals

Pop!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Feb 2010
SLU Posts
Is that dog animesh?
No, to be honest I haven't worked out what's actually even bento yet.

The avatars themselves are... okay. They're system avatars with mesh outfits and attachments, much like the last few sets of starters before them. Some of the clothing and accessories might be worth snagging. Also, (and by this point I'm assuming someone at the Lab is just trolling Penny Patton) they all seem to be 6'6" tall.

Rose Karuna

It's cold, Xerdan is wearing a hat
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Welp, to their credit there's one dapper old guy but no old lady. I want a grouchy, little old lady from Pasadena Avatar. A car where I can barely see over the hood would be cool too. :giggle:

Sid

Life happens. Coffee helps.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Oct 2009
Well I had a quick peek at him and I must say they did their best on that avatar.
That old male is a bit tall with his 2 meters, but he is dressed ready to conduct The London Symphony Orchestra.
And then it is handy when you have an above average hight, so that even the copper section can see your moves clearly.

Benjamin Opel

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
March, 2010
SLU Posts
No, to be honest I haven't worked out what's actually even bento yet.

The avatars themselves are... okay. They're system avatars with mesh outfits and attachments, much like the last few sets of starters before them. Some of the clothing and accessories might be worth snagging. Also, (and by this point I'm assuming someone at the Lab is just trolling Penny Patton) they all seem to be 6'6" tall.
Have I missed the joke? Who is Penny Patton :oops:

• 1Eye Roll
Reactions: Amalia Illios

Khamon

Irish Harper
SL Rez
Joined SLU
they all seem to be 6'6" tall.
Sokay because all the builds are ginormous to match. Khamon went house hunting yesterday and never found a front door less than twice his height. And he can't see over the window sills or balcony railings either poor thing.

• 1OMG!
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Sid

Life happens. Coffee helps.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Oct 2009
I'm 1.91 m in RL, that is tall compared to people around me.
I'm 1.91 m in SL, that is small compared to people around me.
Those are the facts of both lives.
And if the right people just would have listened to Penny years ago ..........

ent|ty

Honesty Is Better
Pay attention to how the hands look on these new avatars... they really look bad... Musician guy has plastic stiff hands with slender ladylike fingers, the old guy has his blocky mesh hands all twisted up into a half fist...
All the hands in general look freakish and too large.
Dude carrying a radio and wearing an ugly 70's disco shirt looks like he has some medical condition as his hands are too large in proportion to his body.

How about some broken and mangled wrist too while we're at it.;
(Media tag is acting weird)
I still use my default mesh and shape from when I signed up with SL.. and it looks better than these freaks

PS. Of course the female avatars are made with tender love and care.... lol. They look relatively proper and hot...

Where the male avatar love at folk? All I want is a good average look to my body shape, no freak, no steroid superhuman muscle builder...

Last edited:

Beebo Brink

Resident Grouch
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Have I missed the joke? Who is Penny Patton :oops:
Did anyone really answer this question? I guess I'll have to do it.

Penny Patton is an SL resident who focuses a lot of her attention on optimizing grid assets. One of the topics she discussed with great passion on SLU was the way in which overly tall avatars have eroded the SL experience. Huge avatars inflate land usage (and thus tier burden on users), distort mesh, and create a community where we lack the variation that allows truly tall avatars to exist, since everyone has maxed out the sliders. Without a shared standard, everything from decorative items to houses are of such wildly varying sizes that nothing works together.

Scaling avatars down to a "real" height that maps with SL measuring systems would improve animations, land usage, and bring consistency into SL. Ironically, that very consistency would enable the truly fantastic. Given current standards, varying sizes are meaningless. They appear to be nothing more than individual slider settings, rather than an attempt to be anything in particular, whether it's a midget or a giant.

That LL is still oblivious or uncaring shows they're not listening.