New Phone Suggestions?

Spirits Rising

Voice of Reason/Quite Blunt
SL Rez
Joined SLU
08/24/2014
SLU Posts
Last time I got a phone it was back when LG was just putting what would become their G line of phones on the market. I got an LG Optimus G Pro and while I still have it, it has been relegated to use as a fancy MP3 Player and rooted.

Its replacement? An LG V30 - now the V30 ThinQ (don't mistake ThinQ as part of the branding or phone name, it is nothing more than their custom AI software suite) and a few quirks aside (it will restart itself if I leave it on/in locked mode for too many days) is a bloody reliable phone. It's geared more or less for photographers/Videographers and music listeners but still ...

I intend to grab the V40 when I can afford it.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
I want to buy a new phone and am thinking about moving away from iPhone. The Samsung Galaxy S9 has caught my eye but, while the majority of internet reviews for it generally seem quite good, there are a few very negative ones on my carrier's site that are giving me pause. Before I make the purchase, I was wondering if any of you have phones that you particularly like and can recommend.
I have an S8+ and am very happy with it. I skipped the S9 because I typically only get a new phone every 2 or 3 years and the S9 is not hugely different than the S8. If you want to skimp go for the S8 or S8+, or if you want to go all out go and be on the bleeding edge go for the foldable version (the galaxy X if name rumors are right) coming out in the next few months. Although I would advise holding off on the foldable version for a generation or two so you do not wind up being Samsung's bug tester. Given how close the S9 is to the S8 series though the phone should be fine.

nateboussad

Thinking about hTc U Ultra Which cost around 310 usd and that is a pretty good deal. I would recommend that you purchase a case for it as the HTC U Ultra is quite fragile.

Tutuapp 9Apps Showbox

Last edited:

Tigger

not on speaking terms with the voices in my head
OH YEAH, EVERY MAJOR AND EVEN MANY MINOR GOVERNMENTS WANT TO GET ALL UP IN YOUR PHONE. FOR HEX THE DIFFERENCE IS 'AN ENGINEER IS AN ASSET FOR A COVERT GOVERNMENT ORG AND IS TRYING TO INSERT AN EXPLOITABLE BACKDOOR' AND 'THE ENTIRE C-SUITE OF HUAWEI IS COMPLICIT HERE.'

FWIW, APPLE SEEMS TO BE THE BEST AT SECURING THEIR PRODUCTS AGAINST THIS BULLDOOKIE. THEY CERTAINLY HAVE MADE SOME CONCESSIONS FOR DEVICES AND SERVICES SOLD IN CHINA, BUT THERE'S A REASON THE ORANGE BASTARD HAS RAILED AGAINST THEM BEFORE (WHILE ALSO USING THEIR PRODUCTS LOL.)
Meh. Always assume every phone you have is compromised up the wazoo. Do as little as possible on the phone, put nothing on it and do nothing on it that you would care about if someone watched. Turn off every automatic update and cloud sync option it has before ever connecting it to the phone network or internet.

• 1Like
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Also keep an eye that 5g is rolling out soon. A limited number of metro areas at first but it will roll out fast all over.

• 1Like
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
Also keep an eye that 5g is rolling out soon. A limited number of metro areas at first but it will roll out fast all over.
Not to be confused with AT&T's "5G E", which is NOT 5G, but an enhanced 4G LTE. It's similar to AT&T displaying "4G" on their phones when connected to a 3G network.

• 2Thanks
Reactions: lord and Brenda Archer