New Phone Suggestions?

Ann Launay

Crumpet Khaleesi
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Aug 2007
SLU Posts
I want to buy a new phone and am thinking about moving away from iPhone. The Samsung Galaxy S9 has caught my eye but, while the majority of internet reviews for it generally seem quite good, there are a few very negative ones on my carrier's site that are giving me pause. Before I make the purchase, I was wondering if any of you have phones that you particularly like and can recommend.

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
I have had better results on Android buying an unlocked phone instead of buying from a carrier. Some carriers (Verizon in particular) block software updates on locked phones that the unlocked versions get.

I am in love with my Essential PH1, which is going for around $400 on Amazon. Titanium frame, ceramic back, good screen. The downside is that the company is not doing well and is up for sale so future support is iffy. My last phone was a Google Nexus 5x, and support directly from Google was good. The Pixel 3 models are worth a look.

HEX

BURRITO WARLORD
AN UNLOCKED PHONE FOR SURE LIKE VQ SAYS. GOOGLE HAS LEVERAGED PLAY SERVICES TO PROVIDE A SECONDARY CHANNEL TO PROVIDE SECURITY UPDATES BUT OEMS ARE AWFUL WITH UPDATES FOR THE MOST PART. APPLE IS NOT PERFECT BUT IOS 12 SUPPORTS ALL THE WAY BACK TO THE 5S RELEASED IN 2013 AND IOS 13 WON'T BE RELEASED UNTIL 2019 WHICH MEANS *6 YEARS* OF SOFTWARE AND SECURITY UPDATES FROM APPLE. ANDROID P ONLY REACHES BACK ABOUT 2 YEARS! BUT ANDROIDS YOU CAN AFFORD TO REPLACE MORE FREQUENTLY.

Sid

Today I will do amazing things but, first coffee.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I have a Huawei Y625 at the moment and I like it a lot and the phone is still working just fine. But it can't handle the current internet speeds provided by the phone companies.
So I'm considering to buy the Huawei P20 pro.
It seems to be a great photo camera. It gets great reviews.
Unfortunately it is not one of the cheapest. :unsure: So a bit more grumbling to do first.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Ann Launay

Jupiter

Still under construction
Joined SLU
07-05-2010
SLU Posts
If you're looking for a flagship and want an Android, get the new Google Pixel 3. It has the best camera of any smartphone and it's the safest Android. You'll always get the latest software and security updates and you'll get them first.

If you're a gamer, you might want to look into the Razer.

If you want a more budget-friendly option, I recommend the OnePlus 6. I also like some of the Moto G phones. I have the G5S Plus and love it, but the camera is just ok; it's a budget phone so there are trade offs.

• 1Agree
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Govi and Ann Launay

Kamilah Hauptmann

This Reality Blows
If you don't enjoy staying on top of applying your own security updates on an unlocked phone, an iPhone.

I added Gboard because Apple native keyboard is pretty lame. (It defaults back to the Apple keyboard for passwords as a security measure - good thing.)

• 1Thanks

Bartholomew Gallacher

I want to buy a new phone and am thinking about moving away from iPhone. The Samsung Galaxy S9 has caught my eye but, while the majority of internet reviews for it generally seem quite good, there are a few very negative ones on my carrier's site that are giving me pause. Before I make the purchase, I was wondering if any of you have phones that you particularly like and can recommend.
The question is: which iPhone are you moving away from, and what's important to you? Old style headphone jack, Micro SD slot, removable battery, water proof, good camera, big screen, infrared sender, fast speed, other fancy stuff, and also important which screen size is the maximum you are familar with?

Do you want a flagship phone or is a decent mid range phone enough for you?

One company, which is always a little bit underrated with their flagship phones and therefore they are quite cheap after few months for example, is LG. Their flagship, LG Thinq 7 for example, is now available for around 4-500 US$: it has a good camera (16 MP), big OLED screen (6,1"), Micro SD, IP68 certified, headphone jack and so on.

Essential as company is dead. And if you are not afraid of Chinese brands, then for example look at the Xiaomi Mi 8, which is also quite a bargain and worth its money, though it lacks some stuff of the LG.

I can't recommend Google Pixel though; it's overpriced for the value it delivers.

• 1Thanks

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
Personally, I'd move away from the Apple and Samsung ecosystems. They're really good phones, but are so pricey and upgrade-driven that I just don't think they offer the best bang for the buck.

I like LG. I've got one of their el cheapo phones which, for the price, has served me pretty well. As soon as I get a job though, I want to upgrade to their flagship phone, the G7 Thinq, which has great features, a minimum amount of bloat, and is far cheaper than a Samsung Galaxy S9 or an iPhone X. Get it unlocked and have your pick of carriers.

Bartholomew Gallacher

HEX DOES NOT TRUST HUAWEI. IT MIGHT BE DIFFERENT IN THE CONSUMER CELL PHONE SECTOR, BUT THEIR FIBER EQUIPMENT IS TOTALLY FULL OF BACK DOORS ACCESSIBLE BY THE CHINESE GOVERNMENT.

SOURCE: HEX IS IN YOUR TELECOM, EATING BURRITOS.
Your father is Captain Capslock, right? And show us today one thing that isn't; even the iPhones are manufactured in China.

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
I have a Huawei tablet. I would avoid them in the future based on their crap UI layer over Android and their horrid support.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Markubis

I have a Pixel 2 and LOVE it.
Great pictures (its still considered one of the top rated camera phones even though it came out in 2017)
You don't have to wait for updates or patches since its a Google phone.
I get much better reception with it than I did with my Samsung Galaxy 6S.

I had a Samsung Galaxy before the Pixel and hated it from day one. The only redeeming quality it had was taking great pictures. I hated the Samsung user interface (skin) that it had and I hated all of the Samsung bloatware that came with it.

Ann Launay

Crumpet Khaleesi
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Aug 2007
SLU Posts
I wound up just going with the iPhone XR; it's what I'm used to an all of my apps are iOS anyway. Also, the Animojis are hysterical.

Next question: Is there a wireless charger that anyone is particularly fond of? I'm reading Amazon reviews and they're like, pretty good, not too bad, omg this charger solved world hunger!, slower charging than expected, I PLUGGED IT IN AND A SWARM OF LOCUSTS IMMEDIATELY DESCENDED, eh it's fine.

Meanwhile, Fakespot is off on the side declaring "Lies!" every time one looks decent...

Sid

Today I will do amazing things but, first coffee.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
HEX DOES NOT TRUST HUAWEI. IT MIGHT BE DIFFERENT IN THE CONSUMER CELL PHONE SECTOR, BUT THEIR FIBER EQUIPMENT IS TOTALLY FULL OF BACK DOORS ACCESSIBLE BY THE CHINESE GOVERNMENT.

SOURCE: HEX IS IN YOUR TELECOM, EATING BURRITOS.
So as long as the spying agencies have an American flag (NRA, FBI, GOOGLE etc) it is okay, but when the Chinese want to know some stuff too, it is a bad thing?
We are watched and analyzed everywhere: Phones, Internet, street camera's. The new freedom.
So if mister Xi Jinping (just like Sam the Eagle) wants to know if I prefer blonds, brunets or gingers, if I use bar soap or a fluid one, if I'm interested in a Renault or a Kia, if I eat whole-grean serials and what not...... Who cares? I can't stop him.
And I can't wait until Alibaba gets a Dutch website and depot as well.

HEX

BURRITO WARLORD
OH YEAH, EVERY MAJOR AND EVEN MANY MINOR GOVERNMENTS WANT TO GET ALL UP IN YOUR PHONE. FOR HEX THE DIFFERENCE IS 'AN ENGINEER IS AN ASSET FOR A COVERT GOVERNMENT ORG AND IS TRYING TO INSERT AN EXPLOITABLE BACKDOOR' AND 'THE ENTIRE C-SUITE OF HUAWEI IS COMPLICIT HERE.'

FWIW, APPLE SEEMS TO BE THE BEST AT SECURING THEIR PRODUCTS AGAINST THIS BULLDOOKIE. THEY CERTAINLY HAVE MADE SOME CONCESSIONS FOR DEVICES AND SERVICES SOLD IN CHINA, BUT THERE'S A REASON THE ORANGE BASTARD HAS RAILED AGAINST THEM BEFORE (WHILE ALSO USING THEIR PRODUCTS LOL.)

Val

n00b!1
Joined SLU
03/07/2017
SLU Posts
I changed from s6 to s9 and I find it decent performance wise plus has much more storage (I forgot the precise number but 64GB I think?) and camera is actually excellent (can use same settings as DLSR and also has factory options to set everything manually so no need for third party apps but SnapSeed is grand for editing). My complain is the edge screen as it is quite annoying on the edges, other one is no physical buttons as it has onscreen ones only. Cannot say reception wise as Glasgow has awful one in general (even radio fails us :D) and not even famous Nokia 3100 had good signal. The pro of Samsung is that is backups with Google cloud and you can easily retrieve your apps, settings and whatnot (not sure if you can backup Iphone there but possibly a hack exists). Sony's tend to be decent apparently, would not recommend Huawei either as heard they are not great quality but maybe they changed.