Yay! New Linden Homes

EmpressOfCommunism

Feted Inner Collective Farmer <3
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
New Linden Homes Preview

So, it looks like we are getting new linden homes soon.

I've been to the preview region for it.
The are laid out more intelligently, are bigger, and have better customizing options then the current homes. The "mailbox lets you customize" thing is exactly like Horizons which makes me think horizons was a testing ground for these.

It also looks like the area they are in was designed by people and not a computer program, also a bonus. They are, apparently, going to connect one mainland continent to another using the SSP continent, but there's no word on WHICH continent.

They're letting people decorate outside! I remember trying to put a Halloween pumpkin outside of my first linden home and having it be removed, the only way to decorate outside on a lot if the old ones was to make a rooftop patio. They're also letting people use skyboxes!

This looks really good so far, I hope the lab doesn't find a way to mess it up.

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I wonder if they'll drop copies of the homes into the Library?

• 1Like
Reactions: Brenda Archer

EmpressOfCommunism

SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I'm not sure. They appear to bbe based on a rezzer system so I'd fathom not, but who knows! They may decide to be generous.

Wesleytron

Joined SLU
08-11-2014
SLU Posts
I hope the lab doesn't find a way to mess it up.
They don't search for them, it is inevitable.
I had a wander around and I saw some pretty poor LODs on parts of some of the houses here and there, even when stood up close using a LOD factor of 2 (which is still higher than it should be!). I specifically noticed some pretty poor door knobs and balcony fences.

I guess the lab are going to tell us we need to crank our LODs up to 4...

• 1Thanks

Free

Chapeau-ed Leader of the Free World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
RELEASE THE TEXTURES.

• 1Like

Daniel Voyager

We may hear more about the new Linden Homes and SSP during the upcoming VWBPE 2019 conference next month...

Linden Lab – Above the Book
Patch Linden (Senior Director, Product Operations) and Grumpity Linden (Senior Director, Product) will be going live at 2pm SLT on 4th April 2019 at the VWBPE Main Auditorium talking about what’s new at Linden Lab.

Should be very interesting to hear more.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: EmpressOfCommunism

CronoCloud Creeggan

Redheaded
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
07-25-2012
SLU Posts
The are laid out more intelligently, are bigger, and have better customizing options then the current homes.
Yep, took a visit myself. The difference being most of the regular homes are separated into rooms while the boathouses are more open plan. The boathouses look familiar to me, I swear I've seen them at some development in the Blake.

It also looks like the area they are in was designed by people and not a computer program, also a bonus.
Indeed.

They are, apparently, going to connect one mainland continent to another using the SSP continent, but there's no word on WHICH continent.
I said that I hoped they'd do that some day back when the SSP regions were first reported. I'm hoping it is Sansara-Heterocera to Nautilus-Satori, but more likely it's connecting Nautilus-Satori to that one unconnected Gaeta, which is nice, but not as nice if they connected up Sansara-Heterocera to Nautilus-Satori.

They're letting people decorate outside! I remember trying to put a Halloween pumpkin outside of my first linden home and having it be removed, the only way to decorate outside on a lot if the old ones was to make a rooftop patio.
It depended on the home. I could decorate outside of mine on the entryway and that tiny little stone patio thing next to the entry. That was only on the Meadowbrook homes though.

They're also letting people use skyboxes!
Yeah! In fact, if they had done these new homes (and boathouses) with skyboxes allowed (and the boost of premium tier to 1024) at the same time, I might have taken the new home instead of getting a mainland parcel and taking the $7 additional tier option...especially since these will be connected to "something". I'd have taken the houseboat, I'd have had keep decorations somewhat minimal, but I could have had my studio (which is ground level on my 2048 now) AND my boat (which sits in the dock under my boathouse. I'm only using 450 right now and my boathouse is 98!

• 1Like

Wesleytron

Joined SLU
08-11-2014
SLU Posts
I had a wander around and I saw some pretty poor LODs on parts of some of the houses here and there, even when stood up close using a LOD factor of 2 (which is still higher than it should be!). I specifically noticed some pretty poor door knobs and balcony fences.

I've realised that while exploring I wandered from the premium homes showcase and onto the 'RFL H&G Expo' sim, so the houses I was looking at with bits of poor LOD, including the one in my picture, are not the ones that will be available as premium homes. At least as far as I am aware.

Chin Rey

Lag fighter
SL Rez
I've realised that while exploring I wandered from the premium homes showcase and onto the 'RFL H&G Expo' sim, so the houses I was looking at with bits of poor LOD, including the one in my picture, are not the ones that will be available as premium homes. At least as far as I am aware.
That explains it. I was a bit worried for a while, poor LoD is the one mistake the Moles never make.

That new Linden Home build is laggy though. In case Vaelissa or some other number crusher is reading this: 80,000 display weight and a quarter of a gig of VRAM per house!!! Add furniture and some avatars and that place will only be for people with seriously heavy duty game computers.

• 1Gross
Reactions: Chalice Yao

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
OIC - did the same - do like the square (traditional) houseboat

Chalice Yao

The Purple
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2007
SLU Posts
and a quarter of a gig of VRAM per house!!!
Thank you, Linden Lab, for ruining all efforts by just making horrid examples an official LL-creation and a thing to emulate.

• 1ROFL
Reactions: Spirits Rising

EmpressOfCommunism

SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
The example homes are heavily scripted possibly to record which ones people are looking at most to adjust the proportions of which styles to create more of. Could that not be part of the area lag?

Chin Rey

Lag fighter
SL Rez
The example homes are heavily scripted possibly to record which ones people are looking at most to adjust the proportions of which styles to create more of. Could that not be part of the area lag?
No. The lag you get there is all about the ways the houses and landscape items are made, and it's going to get much worse once people start to furnish their homes.

Script time is less than 5 ms, that's nothing and it doesn't affect client side lag anyway.

Last edited:
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: EmpressOfCommunism

Vaelissa Cortes

SL Rez
This house for example:

Total stats:
1 objects, 46 prims, 171 faces, 67 textures
Total memory usage: 256,264 kb

There are multiple 1024x1024 bakes per side of the house for the siding, white frames, pillars, etc. Parts such as doors that are identical get entirely different baked textures due to their cardinal orientation; the only difference is minor shadow details that are likely not even possible for most people to ever notice.

What the moles who created this content should have done is use a single siding texture for the outside and tiled that, then done the same for the white frame borders, pillars, interior baseboards, window frames, and everything else. The house could easily look higher detailed than it does now, and use massively less VRAM in the process, just from smarter building practices. Even better would be to use more unified assets across multiple builds, that is how you optimize a whole scene.

This is sadly standard for Second Life anymore. The ability to tile textures is an entirely foreign concept for most modern builders, and performance suffers greatly because of it. Instead we get insane texture bloat due to people baking in textures for every little thing. The only praise I have here, texture-wise, is that the UV maps are well packed for the most part, but considering the above mentioned bloat, it is not worth much.

Selecting just the content in the example area, we get this:

2.86GBs of textures. 2.86GBs for entirely empty houses with no resident rezzed decorations at all. So with just empty plots it is already going to be pushing more textures on people than the client can handle. Bad, Linden Lab, bad! To top it off, everything is massively overscaled as well, with doorknobs near my face level.

Linden Lab should be striving to set an example, and this is definitely not it.

Last edited:

Chin Rey

Lag fighter
SL Rez
Never Have and Never Will
That's not quite true. If you look at the early builds of Cory, Ryan, Xenon, Michael and especially Eric Linden, those were certainly examples for everybody to follow. Pre-mesh Mole builds also tend to be excellent allbeit a bit prim heavy.

It's been a while though.

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Well yes, in the ancient times of valiant primage, if you believe those ridiculous legends.

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Linden Lab used to pay us residents, in lindens, to conduct building workshops that explained tiling and shading and shifting of textures to produce detailed effects without overwhelming the client. People claim that free accounts ruined our world but they didn't. It was sculpted prims, then mesh, then moles.

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Hell, I remember being yelled at by Eric Linden for using 1024 textures in a housing competition he was hosting.

• 1Thanks