netflix Netflix is making The Witcher

Stora

SL Rez
Although I have not read the books I have played the game and it is one of my favorites of all time.
Tonight I watched the first episode and I wasn't disappointed at all.

Pancake

Fluffer
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Kidlet had a root canal today, first time. Witcher is going to be a great distraction and pain killer for the night.

Zaida Gearbox

There's books? I started watching it and I keep thinking it would make more sense if there were books I could read. I feel like the show assumes a certain knowledge level of WTF is going on.

Cristiano

Full Frontal Nerdity
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
I have seen all 8 episodes, and I absolutely loved it. It wasn't perfect, there were some pacing and timeline issues, but it was incredibly enjoyable. It exceeded my expectations. Fantastic cast, great storylines, and the right balance of darkness and humor. Cavill won me over - I didn't think he could pull it off, but he did admirably. I hope they do up the wig budget next season though. I enjoyed it far more than I ever enjoyed GoT, which was a slog to watch. The eight episodes did a ton of worldbuilding and established the three main characters beautifully. I can't wait for more.

• 1Like
Reactions: Cristalle

Free

Antifa-tigued
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Free

Antifa-tigued
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I watched the season over the weekend, and though I wasn't bowled over by it like Cris, I did enjoy it. Especially once it got into the later episodes.

This person, though...doesn't seem to get it:

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
I've watched only the first episode so far, and was distinctly underwhelmed, I'm sorry to say.

The individual components -- the acting, filming, fight-choreography and so on -- were are pretty impressive, but the overall characterisation and tempo seemed all over the place, and the fairy-tale setting of Cintra (which I found irritatingly and distractingly close to "Sintra" in both sound and referent, rather as if they'd called it Ouindsor or Bryton or something similar) was particularly frustrating, since -- presumably because the directors and producers saw no point in fleshing out a place that's going to be destroyed by the end of the first hour -- the goodies and baddies alike were all so two-dimensional.

And I'm afraid that, for me, Princess Cirilla's magic power was irresistibly reminiscent of Violet Elizabeth Bott's superpower in the Just William books, in which she would threaten to "thcream and thcream and thcream until I'm thick" if she didn't get her own way (though Cirilla's version is certainly more impressive).

I'll try a couple more episodes to see if it grabs me, but so far I'm less than enthused.

Last edited:
  • 1Agree
Reactions: NyteWytch

Ishina

SL Rez
I think moving Ciri forward in the story was a mistake. It made the season plot very messy. I'd rather they did the Ciri origin story in a single episode later on, once the worlbuilding and key exposition had been set up.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Innula Zenovka

Free

Antifa-tigued
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
I don't know... it had great visuals but was not very memorable to me.

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
I highly welcome the use of a real lute in the Witcher... now if they only had done some research in how it is played...

Last edited:

Ann Launay

Crumpet Khaleesi
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Aug 2007
SLU Posts
Setting the first big fight to Toxic works surprisingly well.