Free

Kamilah is stalking me
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
May 2009
SLU Posts
Nashville school bans 'Harry Potter' books in *checks notes* 2019
On Saturday, the Tennessean reported that the students of St. Edward Catholic School will no longer be allowed to check out books in the Harry Potter series from their school library on account of the "curses and spells" present within the J.K. Rowling texts.

The local publication states that Rev. Dan Reehil, a pastor at the school, explained the decision in an email to parents.

"These books present magic as both good and evil, which is not true, but in fact a clever deception," he wrote. "The curses and spells used in the books are actual curses and spells; which when read by a human being risk conjuring evil spirits into the presence of the person reading the text."
Good to know our schools are keeping our kids safe from magic spells.

Noodles

Queen of Ramen
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
They seem a little behind the times. Harry Potter has been popular for a while now.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Sid

Doctors found traces of blood in my coffee stream.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Let me guess,Tennessee is a dark red state?

Just googled a bit and found Nashville described as a blue city in a red state.
Didn't see that coming.
A blue city and then such orthodox thinking... I'm totally flipendo-ed right now.

Last edited:

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
A blue city and then such orthodox thinking... I'm totally flipendo-ed right now.
St. Edward Catholic School.

Of course I went to a CofE school and we had A Clockwork Orange as a project one term. But that was in Australia.

• 1Agree

Summer Haas

Scripted Agent
SL Rez
Not everything is about politics. There are plenty of religious people who, whether they realize it not, tend to lean Liberal on many issues and yet still are among the belief that conjuring evil spirits is probably a bad idea.

Anyways, who cares if the school library doesn't carry fiction, just go to a normal library where you might actually find something better.

SL Rez
SLU Posts
Sid, just to put things in perspective. It's one Catholic grade school. I've never been to Nashville. It's well-known as a hotspot for southern music. It is in the South though.

Noodles

Queen of Ramen
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts

Didn't see that coming.
The real problem with that statement is this is basically everywhere in the US.

You always hear stories about the south or whatever, but basically, anywhere not a population dense area is pretty Red, reguardless of state. Political Heatmaps are basically just population density Heatmaps.

Kalel

hypnotized
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I visited Nashville and went to the Gaylord Opryland resort and convention center for a religious international youth convention Trip back in high school and i thought texas liked things big. several Hotels in a huge resort surrounded by a giant ranch... you'd get tired trying to walk the entire thing. They don't mess around when it comes to religon. only place i've been to where i was clearly told i had an accent when i speak and they thought i was from Miami, Ohio.... it was a really uncomfortable trip like trapped in an alternate universe. Technology is the only thing keeping them a blue city.. and when it comes to spreading "the Word"... they can do it. Echo chamber to the max.

Last edited:
  • 1Thanks

Casey Pelous

Senior Discount
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
February, 2011
SLU Posts
Not everything is about politics. There are plenty of religious people who, whether they realize it not, tend to lean Liberal on many issues and yet still are among the belief that conjuring evil spirits is probably a bad idea.

Anyways, who cares if the school library doesn't carry fiction, just go to a normal library where you might actually find something better.
Won't do any good -- I bet a bunch of St. Edward kids checked out all the Harry Potter books about four minutes after this announcement. That pastor will probably get a thank you note from J.K. Rowling.

• 1Like

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
Nashville school bans 'Harry Potter' books in *checks notes* 2019

Good to know our schools are keeping our kids safe from magic spells.
My first thought was 'What, my mom's pastor runs a school in another state?

Sadly, while there are some real progressives still in the Church, there is a growing conservative moment. First time my mom dragged me to her church a couple of years ago, I was wondering when Sharia Law was instituted. A swath of young women seem to think they have to wear veils in the sanctum. Then there were the people in jeans and teeshirts [but the weirdest was when the boys in the family were dressed in latter manner, but their sisters were oh so modestly dressed.... made me angry [but then, her priest does too [and to be fair, I think he makes my mom mad too, even if she would never say so]].

• 1Thanks

EmpressOfCommunism

Too Cute for Capitalism ❤️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Have I died and woken up in 1999? I remember when specific pokemon, and sometiems pokemon in general, were banned in schools because "pocket monsters mean demons" and also "Polywhirl's swirl is to hypnotize children into worshiping Satan"

• 1Agree

Sid

Doctors found traces of blood in my coffee stream.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Well one thing is clear, being Catholic is not the same all over the world. I was raised Catholic and teached for more then 30 years on Catholic schools. If a priest would have come to even discuss to ban a book or some toys, he only would have been laughted at. And then back to businesses as usual.

• 1Like