Musical Ear Syndrome

Free

Antifa-tigued
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Anyone else hear music at times when there is no music playing? I do.

I have a weak level of Tinnitus, in that it can sometimes be annoying, but not painful. However, the music appears for me when other sounds, usually repetitive, are around me. I've been noticing it more this week because it's getting a bit warmer in the apartment, so I'm running the fans.

Just a little while ago, with the floor fan off in the corner and a little one on my desk, I started to hear...an Appalachian-style folk song. At least that's what it sounded like. Was kind of enjoying it too, until I realized it was all in my head and turning off the desk fan drove it away.

Sometimes when this happens, the hallucination is just one or more people talking, which is annoying because I can never make out what's being said! But most of the time it comes to me as music.

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts

I have a weak level of Tinnitus, in that it can sometimes be annoying, but not painful. However, the music appears for me when other sounds, usually repetitive, are around me. I've been noticing it more this week because it's getting a bit warmer in the apartment, so I'm running the fans.

Just a little while ago, with the floor fan off in the corner and a little one on my desk, I started to hear...an Appalachian-style folk song. At least that's what it sounded like. Was kind of enjoying it too, until I realized it was all in my head and turning off the desk fan drove it away.

Sometimes when this happens, the hallucination is just one or more people talking, which is annoying because I can never make out what's being said! But most of the time it comes to me as music.
i always make the joke that I think in music, and I never realized it could be something like this, but it describes it.

Though I get the nasty low level buzzing sometimes too.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Free

Spirits Rising

Voice of Reason/Quite Blunt
SL Rez
Joined SLU
08/24/2014
SLU Posts
Oh hey, now I have a name for it.

Neat.

• 1Agree

Eunoli

SLU Cassandra
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
I have this and also a weirdness where I have put physical sensations to music since I was a kid. Music might sound like paper or velvet to me - meaning I literally feel that sensation against my skin on my arms and usually the back of my neck while listening. There's something called frisson which sort of explains the second, but I seem to have a more severe reaction than I've read about.

• 1Thanks

Free

Antifa-tigued
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I have this and also a weirdness where I have put physical sensations to music since I was a kid. Music might sound like paper or velvet to me - meaning I literally feel that sensation against my skin on my arms and usually the back of my neck while listening. There's something called frisson which sort of explains the second, but I seem to have a more severe reaction than I've read about.
I've heard that before. It's kind of similar to people who find that flavors have a color, or vice versa.

Our brains, man.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Eunoli

danielravennest

SLU Posts
Synesthesia -- it is not yet certain what the cause is.

As far as Free's original question, I have songs playing in my head a lot of the time, but its involuntary memory replay rather than appearing to be from my ears.

Free

Antifa-tigued
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
As far as Free's original question, I have songs playing in my head a lot of the time, but its involuntary memory replay rather than appearing to be from my ears.
I get that, too. But yeah, what I'm describing in the OP is purely auditory, or at least appears to be. And it's not music I've heard before.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Spirits Rising

Rose Karuna

Old and Cranky Xherdan
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU

After I remove my hearing aids when I lay down at night to sleep I sometimes "hear" what sounds like a radio with a talk show in the background but it's low volume and I can't make out any actual words. All I could think about when this first started is that maybe I was picking up a radio station in one of the fillings in my teeth. (Don't know if anyone here remembers an episode of the Dick Cavett show where Lucille Ball talks about hearing a radio station through her fillings?) Did Lucille Ball Use Her Fillings to Spy?

I'm embarrassed to admit that I really did think I was hearing a radio through my fillings. I mentioned this to my husband who pretty much fell on the ground laughing and then explained tinnitus to me (something that he has suffered from since his time in the Marine Corps). Tinnitus can be different for different people, even for the same people at different times. For example sometimes I just hear a high pitched buzzing, other times, the radio thing and even at times I think I hear an animal or baby crying. You can train your mind to ignore tinnitus, certainly I have on the high pitched buzzing but I occasionally still notice the other phenomena.

• 1Thanks

Clara D.

FOR PRESIDENT 2020!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
Unfortunately my tinnitus is just a constant almost super-sonic whine. Like an old B&W TV with the volume off. Nothing musical >_<

I do sometimes hear music in white noise. I just assume it's the auditory version of seeing faces in things -- like Elvis on a tortilla.

Audio Pareidolia -- how "ghost hunters" hear voices in audio glitches.

Last edited:
  • 1Thanks

bubblesort

If it's new music, you should learn to play an instrument and transcribe it. It would be awesome to hear something like that.

Or maybe not. There are risks that come with learning to play an instrument. I used to get ear worms stuck in my head, but now that I play guitar, I get ear worms stuck in my hands. I call them hand worms. Last week my hands kept wanting to play Rainbow Connection over and over.

• 1Interesting

Jopsy Pendragon

I'm now giving negative Eff's. I'm in debt.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Unfortunately my tinnitus is just a constant almost super-sonic whine.
Mine hovers right at the top end pitch of my hearing. Which has dropped probably more than it should have over the last few years, from 10khz to 8khz. I have periods without it whining away, but most days it's there. Worst right after I wake up, even from a short nap. Seems to be a trait I inherited from dad.

A trick I've learned over the years is to use an online tone generator and beep-beep-beep at me at the same tone that my tinnitus is screeching at. Sometimes that shakes it loose.

Another trick is to press the palms of your hand tightly over your ears (right hand to right ear, etc. elbows forward, fingers backwards) and then you drum on the back of your head with your fingers. Feels like being inside of a drum. It's loud but not unpleasant. The principle behind it is, I guess, something like how our eyes acclimate to dark or bright areas. Our ears similarly adjust to loud or quiet areas. Drumming on the back of your head for 15 seconds makes them shift to 'loud area' sensitivity, which helps make the tinnitus less dominant.

Of course, the tinnitus comes back as soon as your ears re-acclimate to being in a quiet space again.

I end up listening to music nearly constantly to keep the damned squeal at bay.

• 1Thanks

Clara D.

FOR PRESIDENT 2020!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
Mine's physical damage from a bad ear infection, nothing makes it stop >_<

• 1Hug
Reactions: Jopsy Pendragon

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
So, for my fellow tinnitus people - if I place the palms of my hands over my ears and then lightly drum with my fingertips on the hollow at the back of my neck, it gets rid of it for a bit.

Free

Antifa-tigued
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
So, for my fellow tinnitus people - if I place the palms of my hands over my ears and then lightly drum with my fingertips on the hollow at the back of my neck, it gets rid of it for a bit.
That one's never worked for me. Tried some of the home remedies to the same results. White noise, or the sound of a vacuum cleaner or waves can often mask it.

Last edited:

Free

Antifa-tigued
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
On rare occasion, I listen to one of those hours-long Youtube videos of a vacuum or some sort of mechanical device for both the masking effect, and the ASMR effect it has on me...

Clara D.

FOR PRESIDENT 2020!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
On rare occasion, I listen to one of those hours-long Youtube videos of a vacuum or some sort of mechanical device for both the masking effect, and the ASMR effect it has on me...
I bought a fan just for the extra noise.

• 1Like

Jopsy Pendragon

SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Likewise. I especially like the ST:TNG engine room hum.

But not for the ASMR part. ASMR in general -really- bothers me. Triply so if there's whispering, smacking/chewing or paper/plastic crinkling sounds.

Free

Antifa-tigued
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
But not for the ASMR part. ASMR in general -really- bothers me. Triply so if there's whispering, smacking/chewing or paper/plastic crinkling sounds.
No no. The videos with the whisperers tend to creep me out more than anything else.

• 1Agree

Jopsy Pendragon

SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
No no. The videos with the whisperers tend to creep me out more than anything else.
Creeps me out but also there's that feeling of having one's personal space invaded. Like with the whine of a gnat buzzing around your ear. The amplified "Close to microphone" sound detail of whispering/crinkling/etc provokes strongly visceral "BACK THE F*CK OFF!" defensive ire.