SL Rez
Joined SLU
May 2009
SLU Posts
  • Free

Free

Well, not really.

Milo Yiannopoulos lasted a single day on Patreon before getting banned
Former Breitbart editor Milo Yiannopoulos attempted to fund a “magnificent 2019 comeback” on the crowdfunding platform Patreon, only to be banned after one day.

Yiannopoulos’ Patreon campaign, whose banner image is seen above, garnered around 250 patrons pledging an unknown amount of money before being kicked off the service.

“Milo Yiannopoulos was removed from Patreon as we don’t allow association with or supporting hate groups on Patreon,” the company said in a tweet. Leaked emails have linked Yiannopoulos to white supremacists, and a 2016 video showed him singing karaoke in a bar while audience members, including white nationalist Richard Spencer, gave Nazi salutes.
Time to cue up you know what.

Sep 20, 2018
Hillcrest, San Diego, CA
Joined SLU
Jan 15 2004
SLU Posts
“I’ve had a miserable year or two, banned and de-platformed and censored and blacklisted,” [he] wrote in his Patreon profile. He asked patrons to help fund a weekly late-night TV talk show, and to help him “pay essential staff and service providers.” The Guardian reported earlier this week that [he] was $2 million in debt, a number [he] later claimed was actually “at least” $4 million in a flippant Instagram post.
Half of which was probably squandered on drugs, his hair and sunglasses to hide his soulless hung over eyes.

Shame we don't have a nice debtor's prison to throw him into. I'm sure he'll find some scary old nazi sugar daddy to pamper him for a while.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 19, 2018
Gulf Coast, USA
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
“I’ve had a miserable year or two, banned and de-platformed and censored and blacklisted,” [he] wrote in his Patreon profile.
Jokes on you, it's not over yet! :cool:

Free

The Pie Whisperer
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 22, 2018
Neuken, America
SL Rez
Joined SLU
May 2009
SLU Posts
  • Free

Free

Shame we don't have a nice debtor's prison to throw him into. I'm sure he'll find some scary old nazi sugar daddy to pamper him for a while.
Possibly, though Nazis don't tend to like propping up gay men.

Sep 20, 2018
Part of why his career couldn't last is because bigots tend to hate everyone who isn't exactly like them, and not just one group. Milo appealed to a very specific kind of bigot who was okay with queeny white gay men, but not lesbians, trans people or people of color.

Dillon Levenque

Cautiously creeping...
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 20, 2018
Of Milo's contretemps with the people trying to put this Australian gig together, she writes,

" The Australian promoters have finally pulled the plug on it, breaking cover this week to speak to Australian reporters. “It’s been the worst six months of my life,” one of them told a TV news reporter. “He’s a nightmare.”

Yes. If only there’d been some way of suspecting this in advance."

I think I'm in love. More Marina, please.

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 20, 2018
Minnesnowta
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
Of Milo's contretemps with the people trying to put this Australian gig together, she writes,

" The Australian promoters have finally pulled the plug on it, breaking cover this week to speak to Australian reporters. “It’s been the worst six months of my life,” one of them told a TV news reporter. “He’s a nightmare.”

Yes. If only there’d been some way of suspecting this in advance."

I think I'm in love. More Marina, please.

Indeed. I liked this:

Even so, I’m not sure quite why Australia is allowing itself to be used as a piggy bank for distressed provocateurs. On a simple watchability level, it does seem such a waste of their vast collection of lethal wildlife. Why not release the Milos, Nigels and Tommies into it and film the results?

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
Sep 20, 2018
SL: November RL: DC
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
I am still trying to wrap my head around the fact that he is LGBT and seems to expect no pushback from both sides over that. Yes, the queer community has groups like the log cabin republicans and transsexual separatists. He takes it to a whole new level though.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 20, 2018
SLU Posts
I am still trying to wrap my head around the fact that he is LGBT and seems to expect no pushback from both sides over that. Yes, the queer community has groups like the log cabin republicans and transsexual separatists. He takes it to a whole new level though.
Milo is a grifter. He is interested only in how much money he can take off his marks, not in whether there's any push-back or not. Indeed, his being gay (and married, as he frequently points out, to a black man) probably appeals to his target audience, since he makes them feel they can't possibly be bigoted like the Stormfront crowd with whom liberals so often compare them, since they like him.

"Some of my best friends" and all that.

Sep 20, 2018
Hillcrest, San Diego, CA
Joined SLU
Jan 15 2004
SLU Posts
Part of why his career couldn't last is because bigots tend to hate everyone who isn't exactly like them, and not just one group. Milo appealed to a very specific kind of bigot who was okay with queeny white gay men, but not lesbians, trans people or people of color.
Most tyranical mindsets will fork over some cash for the right kind of shill. "Look! We found a black person that's arguing IN FAVOR of slavery! Huzzah! Even some of our enemies understand that we're right! How validating for us!"

But once the novelty wears off, the money dries up.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 19, 2018
Gulf Coast, USA
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Yeah I think Milo particularly appealed to fledgling Nazis in that transitional phase where they're not yet fully comfortable owning their nazihood and still prefer to think they aren't really bigots, just reasonable conservatives that have objective concerns about genuine problems. To them, Milo is the visible, gay version of "some of my best friends are black" which proves to themselves they're not against gay people, just the changes that liberal gays are trying to force on society. But it is just a transitional phase; all of these folks eventually became further radicalized and left Milo behind.

And I guess people like Milo will continue to be cynically exploited by more "cis" white-supremacists for PR purposes, for the same reason Trump loves to squee whenever he spots a black guy at one of his rallies.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 20, 2018
SLU Posts
I read the Wikipedia entry on "classical liberalism", and I still don't get why the term seems to have been coopted by absolute assholes. Are they trying to explain the word "liberal" from those they term "libtards"?
Quite a good exploration of the term, and how and why it's become popular again, here -- Why the ‘classical liberal’ is making a comeback.

Essentially, in certain contexts and to certain audiences it sounds better than "conservative" or "libertarian."

I can't imagine Adam Smith or John Stuart Mill would have had much time for them.