Mesh Tattoo problem

Lianne Marten

Cheese Baron
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 18 2007
SLU Posts
A few days ago I started having a problem with the texture layers for the mesh shape I use. (Dev Fitness Nana). Originally use an Omega applier to set the textures and everything shows up fine. Short-sleeved blouse on the clothes layer, underwear on the underwear layer, tattoo on the tattoo layer. Everything looks great, perfect.

Then all of a sudden the tattoos stop showing up. I only have the left arm one active but all I see is a bare arm. If I toggle the right arm one on it appears, but only on the upper arm the lower arm is bare. So instead of a full sleeve like it's supposed to be it's a hard cutoff at the elbow.

But if I deactivate the arms of the clothing layer the tattoos show up again just fine. Same as if I activate the mask button of the clothing layer (which I don't want because that makes those textures look like shit).

So what am I doing wrong/how do I fix things to make it all look correct? I've tried clearing the layers and reapplying them but that doesn't do anything.

Summer Haas

Scripted Agent
SL Rez
Sounds like an alpha issue. Sometimes 8 bit alphas will only show whatever is on top and everything that has an alpha below it will disappear. Worse yet sometimes you see it one way and others see it another. Bakes on Mesh will solve this, but in the meantime mask mode, which converts the alpha to 1 bit, is the only way to get rid of the issue.

Last edited:
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Cristalle

Lianne Marten

Cheese Baron
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 18 2007
SLU Posts
What's weird though is that it worked before then just stopped. And on one arm the tattoo shows, just not fully. It's like it's broken in three different ways.

Summer Haas

Scripted Agent
SL Rez
Depending on which direction you are facing and what loads in first is how you end up seeing things. Which of course is different for everyone, so even if you get it "fixed" on your screen, chances are its broken for everyone seeing you.

Once Firestorm rolls out their BoM version and creators start updating their stuff, this will no longer be such a pain. I haven't had a chance to mess around with it yet but supposedly Maitreya and a few others have BoM appliers already. You will need to use the official viewer to see it working though.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Cristalle

Lianne Marten

Cheese Baron
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 18 2007
SLU Posts
I hope so. I guess it is a layer thing because taking the blouse off makes the tattoos show up correctly.

I can wear long sleeves until then I suppose.

Cristalle

Lady of the House
SL Rez
Joined SLU
July 8, 2008
SLU Posts
I hope so. I guess it is a layer thing because taking the blouse off makes the tattoos show up correctly.

I can wear long sleeves until then I suppose.
Masking one of those layers, probably the underwear one, will do the trick.

Lianne Marten

Cheese Baron
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 18 2007
SLU Posts
It doesn't. There's nothing on the arm/chest slots for underwear layer.

I can't mask the clothes layer because that makes my stockings look like shit, and I can't mask the tattoo layer because that makes the tattoos look like shit.

E: That did give me an idea though.

I moved the stockings from the clothes layer to the underwear layer then masked the clothes layer and now everything works. This does mean i'm going commando at the moment but I guess sacrifices have to be made for fashion.

Hopefully when bake shows up I can get a better solution. Thanks for the help.

Last edited: