WTF Mask rage

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
If you can't hear someone wearing a face mask, would you ask them to speak up, or to remove it?
In fairness, as someone with mild hearing loss, I have difficulty understanding someone talking through a cloth mask. They sound muffled, and no amount of speaking up can compensate for that.

And now, just the mere thought of having defended the Orange Dotard is making me want to take a shower or three. :sick:

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
Actually there are masks designed with a clear panel specifically to communicate with people who are Deaf. Great lip reading is not as common as tv would have you believe but getting some cues helps.
Contrary to popular belief, not many deaf or hard-of-hearing people can read lips. The clear masks are because facial expressions are a very integral part of communicating in ASL.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Rose Karuna

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Contrary to popular belief, not many deaf or hard-of-hearing people can read lips. The clear masks are because facial expressions are a very integral part of communicating in ASL.
Exactly. My signing is pretty terrible. If my spouse can see my facial expression she has a fighting chance to figure out what I am saying.

• 1Like
Reactions: Katheryne Helendale

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
This all is happening in a society thar belives gays cause god to punish them with hurricanes... I give up - Just go on and kill yourselves American - you are beyond redemption but the rest of us could need a show and tell bad example.

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
What the freak? They are mad about coronavirus so they chant no more masks? That will only cause it to stay longer idiots. The kid in there too ... you could tell he was reciting something by rote rather than saying it in his own words.

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
This all is happening in a society thar belives gays cause god to punish them with hurricanes... I give up - Just go on and kill yourselves American - you are beyond redemption but the rest of us could need a show and tell bad example.
I am in a facebook discussion with a con right now. Among other things he is truly mystified why rs go usa usa usa at rallies and dems do not. Actually am a green but figured he probably equates them anyway so replied. I explained to him dems want the WHOLE world to succeed. He simply could not figure out then why we would not take us#1 as axiomatic. He had to leave but will probably have more questions when returning because I said if I had to pick a single country to root for it would be Finland. Both because I am only a couple generations removed from it and that I did not chose where I was born but did choose to study that culture when I was able to do so.