WTF Mask rage

Tigar

🥧 Because Pie 🥧
SL Rez
Joined SLU
💨 💨 🥧
SLU Posts
I knew it would be appreciated here. I think Arkady misunderstood is all.

ps. Pancakes 🥞

Last edited:

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
I have a few recently ex facebook friends who would blow up at that. :)

• 1Pie
Reactions: Tigar

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
We should not forget that some people with hidden disabilities are genuinely unable to wear a mask for medical reasons (or at least find it very difficult) and are, in the UK, legally exempt from various regulations about wearing them.

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
We should not forget that some people with hidden disabilities are genuinely unable to wear a mask for medical reasons (or at least find it very difficult) and are, in the UK, legally exempt from various regulations about wearing them.

Exactly - if everyone who -can- wear a mask wears them, then those who can't are at least protected a bit; much like with vaccines.

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
Speaking of masks.... we looked all over for masks at Target this morning [reason we went there and not our usual grocery store], and all we found were disposables... check out line, 'I bet we'll find them in fashion one day...' and spouse looked over towards the clothes aisles and there was their rack - so picked up two packs of the 2 masks for $4. With him having to go out of town in a couple of weeks, and maybe needing to wear them all day long...

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts

Yes, but the point is people unable to wear a mask due to a disability would be the last ones to want to risk catching it, especially if the reason was a breathing difficulty. You would not find them maskless in a store with other people screaming constantly. They would want to stay indoors most likely and if that was not an option would see what other accommodations would work: face shields, having their groceries brought outside, whatever. The antimaskers you see on youtube are actually making it harder (and more dangerous) for disabled people who need any accommodation, especially ones that mean they can not wear a mask.

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Speaking of masks.... we looked all over for masks at Target this morning [reason we went there and not our usual grocery store], and all we found were disposables... check out line, 'I bet we'll find them in fashion one day...' and spouse looked over towards the clothes aisles and there was their rack - so picked up two packs of the 2 masks for $4. With him having to go out of town in a couple of weeks, and maybe needing to wear them all day long...
A lot of people are making them and selling them online now, it is not just amazon. In the early stages most masks were black or some other generic colour but now you can get them with just about any slogan or fabric you want. Want to show pride in something? Just google the name and the word mask.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Yes, but the point is people unable to wear a mask due to a disability would be the last ones to want to risk catching it, especially if the reason was a breathing difficulty. You would not find them maskless in a store with other people screaming constantly. They would want to stay indoors most likely and if that was not an option would see what other accommodations would work: face shields, having their groceries brought outside, whatever. The antimaskers you see on youtube are actually making it harder (and more dangerous) for disabled people who need any accommodation, especially ones that mean they can not wear a mask.
I thought the point was that I wear a mask not to protect myself but to protect other people, in case I've caught the virus and am shedding it unawares, thus putting others at risk.

I wear a mask to protect you and you wear a mask to protect me.

Some people, unfortunately, can't do that, for genuine medical reasons.

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
I thought the point was that I wear a mask not to protect myself but to protect other people, in case I've caught the virus and am shedding it unawares, thus putting others at risk.

I wear a mask to protect you and you wear a mask to protect me.

Some people, unfortunately, can't do that, for genuine medical reasons.
Right, it is to protect other people. You get a little protection too but not as much as the protection to others. If you want to keep others safe you wear a mask. If you are at risk you take every small improvement in your odds you can.

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
A lot of people are making them and selling them online now, it is not just amazon. In the early stages most masks were black or some other generic colour but now you can get them with just about any slogan or fabric you want. Want to show pride in something? Just google the name and the word mask.
Right. We have some sewn ones we got from some friends right at the beginning, and we have some I got from my teepublic store with some of my designs on them. But the hand done ones have a tie which my spouse finds more annoying to deal with, and well, for a con, sure, my designs work, and maybe 'Never Apologize for Being a Geek would go well with the Auditors, but... we wanted something basic and easy [and with a metal nose piece].

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
On a personal note, I find the cloth ones irritating. I stood in line to renew my driver's license the other day for well over an hour and a half outside. The cloth one was warm and uncomfortable. I also have the lighter ones, which would have been more comfortable.

Regardless of whichever variety I am wearing, you can bet that I will always be wearing one. You see, I'm not a selfish cunt. It is less about protecting myself, though of course, protecting my family comes into play as well, but protecting our larger communities. America seems to have become synonymous, more than even in the past, with selfishness, right down to our "Commander in Chief" who was willing to let people in "blue" states die for his re-election effort. I wonder? Do Trumpers that live in blue states have any reaction to that at all? I know a few and they are still on the Trump train. WTF?

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
On a personal note, I find the cloth ones irritating. I stood in line to renew my driver's license the other day for well over an hour and a half outside. The cloth one was warm and uncomfortable. I also have the lighter ones, which would have been more comfortable.

Regardless of whichever variety I am wearing, you can bet that I will always be wearing one. You see, I'm not a selfish cunt. It is less about protecting myself, though of course, protecting my family comes into play as well, but protecting our larger communities. America seems to have become synonymous, more than even in the past, with selfishness, right down to our "Commander in Chief" who was willing to let people in "blue" states die for his re-election effort. I wonder? Do Trumpers that live in blue states have any reaction to that at all? I know a few and they are still on the Trump train. WTF?
It is one of those things that somehow has 2 camps and neither can understand the other. I saw a tweet that the people who always wear masks are often the ones who did all of a group project by themselves.

• 1Like
Reactions: Jopsy Pendragon