WTF Mask rage

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
You know, I'm starting to think the 2nd Amendment gun nuts are on to something: If all these service industry employees were allowed to open-carry on the job, we likely wouldn't have any of these confrontations.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
Post grad school, mist of the time, but for 30 years it was not a factor. If there was a bus, great, but if it meant walking a few km to get to the shoppes so be it.

People used to cars are just strange. I was once interviewing and asked if there was a bus stop nearby. They said it was a huge trek to get to the nearest one. I looked it up and it was like a 15 minute walk but that is long to some ppl I guess.
I am two miles from the nearest grocery store. I would have to hop on three different buses, each with their own timing, to get to it. And then there's the question of what to do with my groceries, especially the perishables, on my way back home. If I tried to take the bus to work, I'd have to leave for work about two hours early - except, the buses don't run that early, so if I took the first bus, I'd be really late for work. For me, a car is essential. There's just no getting around that for me.

• 2Agree
Reactions: Lexxi and Shiloh Lyric

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
“If you vote for Biden, you’re going to be living in Nazi Germany,” the woman with the swastika mask told Mueller, as her companion bagged up toilet paper and an enormous canister of cheeseballs. The two were apparently using the masks to protest Minnesota’s mask mandate, which took effect Saturday.
Oh I see: Irony! Sorry, but no, that's not how it works.

danielravennest

SLU Posts
I am two miles from the nearest grocery store. I would have to hop on three different buses, each with their own timing, to get to it. And then there's the question of what to do with my groceries, especially the perishables, on my way back home. If I tried to take the bus to work, I'd have to leave for work about two hours early - except, the buses don't run that early, so if I took the first bus, I'd be really late for work. For me, a car is essential. There's just no getting around that for me.
And while we are talking about cars, Peachtree City, GA is the city of golf carts. It started out as a way to make it easier for residents to get to the golf course, without having to load up their cart on a trailer. Now the golf cart paths go everywhere, and there are parking spaces at stores just for them. Since the paths exist, they also get used for walking, jogging, and biking. Most of the carts are gas-powered, but they could fairly easily be replaced by electric ones.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Probably the strangest commute was one that involved 2 trains, a bus, dc, mc, and va. Plus the bus did not stop all the time because the sign fell down so every once in awhile there would be a different driver and they would not stop when I was waving them down. Anyway, on 9/11 the metro system could not even tell me if they were running so I chanced it. Luckily it was, one ran under the pentagon after crossing a bridge so it could easily have been closed.

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
And while we are talking about cars, Peachtree City, GA is the city of golf carts. It started out as a way to make it easier for residents to get to the golf course, without having to load up their cart on a trailer. Now the golf cart paths go everywhere, and there are parking spaces at stores just for them. Since the paths exist, they also get used for walking, jogging, and biking. Most of the carts are gas-powered, but they could fairly easily be replaced by electric ones.
If any place gives off a Stepford Wives vibe, its Peachtree City. Its creepy.

Even snack machines are covered in earth tones....

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

Since the early weeks of the pandemic, bus drivers across the United States have spoken out about anger and assaults from passengers, particularly when they try to enforce public health rules about social distancing and mask-wearing.

Just in the past month, bus drivers have been beaten after asking passengers to wear masks in San Francisco, New York city, and in Lubbock, Texas, where a bus driver was hit with a large wooden board and left bloody. A New York City driver reportedly left with a broken bone near his eye in July was one of dozens of Covid-related violent incidents involving bus drivers in New York, according to The City, a local news outlet. In France, a bus driver died after a brutal beating in early July, prompted once again by asking a group of passengers to put on their masks.

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
No, they fucking don't.
Yes, they do. Some people need them but please explain why an adult familiar with the area would tell me that I could not get to a bus when I could SEE the stop nearby and there was not a highway in the way.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Yes, they do. Some people need them but please explain why an adult familiar with the area would tell me that I could not get to a bus when I could SEE the stop nearby and there was not a highway in the way.
Because whoever told you that was mistaken about what you would consider reasonable walking distance.

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
We had local city/county elections today, and based on past experience (both as a voter and a poll worker), my local polling station is usually empty for these elections. So our plan was to arrive just after they opened and dash in to vote, and then out again.

Only this time (again, probably because it's local elections only) two polling stations had been crammed into the space that usually is used for only one precinct. As we expected, there were no other voters, and the poll workers for our precinct were all wearing masks. BUT the other table, barely 6 feet away, was a different story. None of those poll workers were wearing a mask -- they were laughing and talking loudly, not a care in the world apparently.

My wife and I nearly went home at that point, but since our table was filled with the Good Guys, we went in and voted then got out (one short page ballot for local elections). But we were pissed and each called the city to complain. Apparently this was NOT okay with the city either and someone was dispatched to tell the workers in no uncertain terms that they had to wear masks.

Now I wish we'd called first and gone in later, but that would have meant more traffic through the area. (Okay, maybe that's a tad optimistic to assume there would be any traffic at all. Did I mention it was local elections?)

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Because whoever told you that was mistaken about what you would consider reasonable walking distance.
Which gets to my point that often people who drive become dependent on them.

• 1ROFL
Reactions: Spirits Rising

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
No, it means whoever told you that had misjudged what sort of distance you would consider reasonable.
The easy thing to do there is just say how far it is (or point to it) and let the person decide if that is too far or not. Not that I trust their judgement anyways, they did a multiperson interview with me followed by a test that I blew out of the water. Then their offer was less than a much more prestigious job (which also gave me a security clearance) and wanted me to start with a couple of weeks of training in another state.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Innula Zenovka

Jopsy Pendragon

Magic thrives within Intentionality
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
The easy thing to do there is just say how far it is (or point to it) and let the person decide if that is too far or not. Not that I trust their judgement anyways, they did a multiperson interview with me followed by a test that I blew out of the water. Then their offer was less than a much more prestigious job (which also gave me a security clearance) and wanted me to start with a couple of weeks of training in another state.
Interviewers are often very cagey about how they express things out of fear of being accused of discriminating.

Simply put, a potential employee who is reliant on public transportation comes with an automatic excuse to refuse to come in early, off-hours or stay late. An excuse employees with their own mode of transportation don't have.

If flexibility is expected for the position, and you're beholden to transportation schedules you can't control, your could very well demand incentives to compensate for the inconvenience that that flexibility would impose. And that will likely breed resentment among other workers who will demand to be provided the same incentives.

But of course, they can't -say- any of that to you, an interview candidate, not without risk of retaliation. So, likely, they evaded and tried to make the position look less attractive to you than it actually is. All because they're worried you may be a clock-watcher who leaves work at a fixed time whether you're actually done for the day or not.

danielravennest

SLU Posts
If any place gives off a Stepford Wives vibe, its Peachtree City. Its creepy.

Even snack machines are covered in earth tones....
Apparently true about the snack machines (Holiday Inn Peachtree), but I have encountered no fembots when shopping there. It's just fairly bland suburbia. They *do* film The Walking Dead in the area, so maybe that's where you got the creepy vibe?

Last edited:

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
Apparently true about the snack machines (Holiday Inn Peachtree), but I have encountered no fembots when shopping there. It's just fairly bland suburbia. They *do* film The Walking Dead in the area, so maybe that's where you got the creepy vibe?

Nah, I thought it was creepy well before Walking Dead, and I don't watch much TV, and certainly not that sort. I just, I'm so not a fan of HOAs, but PTC takes it that extra mile.