WTF Mask rage

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
It is sad that the face masks have become such a political issue in the US.

While non medical face masks in daily life contribute very little to solve the corona crisis.
Keeping enough distance and washing hands regulary and most of all self isolation when you have the slightest symptoms, are far more important.

NL was never on face masks outside the medical circuit and we still got the reproduction rate of the virus down to 0,56 and still falling.
It is somewhat funny, here in NL I go to supermarkets without a mask. 3 km down the road in Germany I do the same with a mask because it is mandatory in Germany. NL and Germany have the same results in fighting the virus.
The problem is we have a lot of people who refuse to socially isolate.

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Companies requiring face masks need to be reasonable as well and this was just not reasonable! Injured Veteran Denied Service At Credit Union Says He Can't Wear A Face Mask

I wear my face mask and I think everyone should wear one while we still have active COVID but there are exceptions and this man (and other burn victims) are an exception.

There really are people that can't breathe under the mask, they have asthma or COPD and just can't wear a mask. Exceptions should be made for that and the employees of that credit union should probably be fired for not helping this guy. He COULDN'T use the drive up because his fingers as well as his ears were blown off. Jesus Christ how obtuse could they be?
The people I hate with a passion are the ones who smile and say you can not make them wear a mask because of a disability and inform you there are also laws saying you can not ask them for details. You and they both know they are full of shit and they do not care you strongly suspect that. They are also making it worse for people who DO have issues, both by being one more asshole without a mask and making it more likely some lawmaker will punch a hole in the ada to stop them.

Jopsy Pendragon

Magic thrives within Intentionality
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I will never understand the "Gay For Trump"-ers. Is it some sort of S&M humiliation power-sex fetish? Were they dropped on their heads as children too many times?

Gayfortrumpers can go sit with the TERFs and complicit Catholic Priests, at the table reserved for Harmfully Intolerant Jackasses.

FFS... You don't need either ear to wear a bandana!!

Isabeau

Merdeuse
I wear a mask and don’t worry too much about those who don’t. If you’re worried for yourself and entourage, stay away from those who don’t. Yes it would be nice if everyone in close quarters (metro, in stores, etc.) would wear them but I think that those who refuse for tantrum reasons are just looking for attention. They still argue on FB : p

Others have other reasons, it doesn’t bother me.

• 1Like
Reactions: Sid

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
Point of order? There were some complaints when seatbelt laws went into effect but nothing like masks now.
Within the last ten years I have had to stop my car and refuse to drive, multiple times, because a passenger refused to buckle up until I made it clear that I was serious.

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
I will never understand the "Gay For Trump"-ers. Is it some sort of S&M humiliation power-sex fetish? Were they dropped on their heads as children too many times?

Gayfortrumpers can go sit with the TERFs and complicit Catholic Priests, at the table reserved for Harmfully Intolerant Jackasses.

There are also masks that tie behind the head and neck. And the balaclava-type ones that don't involve ears either.
Since he has health issues I'm surprised he hasn't looked.

Jopsy Pendragon

Magic thrives within Intentionality
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
There are also masks that tie behind the head and neck. And the balaclava-type ones that don't involve ears either.
I'm 99.999% certain that it's not about health issues.

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
I'm 99.999% certain that it's not about health issues.
Well, since the guy was in Afghanistan, and definitely had those visible injuries, I'm prepared to believe that he could also have come out of it with issues that aren't immediately apparent. Perhaps because my own issues are invisible, so to speak.
One of those issues sometimes makes it had fur me to breathe, too, but since the other one makes me susceptible to more ill effects of the virus, I have to deal.

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
I wear a mask and don’t worry too much about those who don’t. If you’re worried for yourself and entourage, stay away from those who don’t. Yes it would be nice if everyone in close quarters (metro, in stores, etc.) would wear them but I think that those who refuse for tantrum reasons are just looking for attention. They still argue on FB : p

Others have other reasons, it doesn’t bother me.
Unfortunately in some places it is easier than others. I can not even get to work without using the metro as it is on the other side of the city. No, I do not drive so that is not an option.

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
My spouse uses them because of her hearing aid. I use the ones that hook to your ears because with long hair tying something back there is a royal pain. There are also velcro ones but good luck getting one ... most ship from China.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Myradyl Muse

Plurabelle Laszlo

SL Rez
Joined SLU
While non medical face masks in daily life contribute very little to solve the corona crisis.
Keeping enough distance and washing hands regulary and most of all self isolation when you have the slightest symptoms, are far more important.
There is another study that comes to the conclusion that face masks are much more efficient than most seem to think: According to a team of researchers of four different universities mandatory face masks have helped to lower the infection rate in the German town Jena. Jena was the first to introduce mandatory mask wearing in public transport and supermarkets (mostly community masks since others were barely available at that point) on April 6th - two to three weeks earlier than most other German towns.

The growth of their infection rate was significantly lower than in comparable regions. And especially the age group 60+ showed a much lower number of Covid 90 cases.

"Twenty days after the introduction of mandatory face masks in Jena, the total number of COVID-19 cases registered there only increased from 142 to 158, while in the synthetic Jena they increased from 143 to 205. The increase in infections in Jena thus only corresponded to about a quarter of the increase in the comparison group."

Full study: http://ftp.iza.org/dp13319.pdf

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
There is another study that comes to the conclusion that face masks are much more efficient than most seem to think: According to a team of researchers of four different universities mandatory face masks have helped to lower the infection rate in the German town Jena. Jena was the first to introduce mandatory mask wearing in public transport and supermarkets (mostly community masks since others were barely available at that point) on April 6th - two to three weeks earlier than most other German towns.

The growth of their infection rate was significantly lower than in comparable regions. And especially the age group 60+ showed a much lower number of Covid 90 cases.

"Twenty days after the introduction of mandatory face masks in Jena, the total number of COVID-19 cases registered there only increased from 142 to 158, while in the synthetic Jena they increased from 143 to 205. The increase in infections in Jena thus only corresponded to about a quarter of the increase in the comparison group."

Full study: http://ftp.iza.org/dp13319.pdf
They also said in the local news recently that of 140 hairdressers who tested positive for COVID none of them passed it on to a customer.

I’d have hoped that the guy with no fingers could’ve gotten someone to help with a mask. At least to tie elastic straps which roof only have to be done once.
Of course, he could really have respiratory issues and be in denial about masks.

Rose Karuna

Always cooking something up
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU

Scar tissue from severe burns can be very painful for absolutely years. In this mans case I think an exception should have been made and someone should have helped him at the drive through instead of just telling him to go there and use it. Sometimes we have to use common sense too.

The assholes who can wear masks and are refusing to are making it impossible for people like him.

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
More evidence in favor of wearing masks:

Protests in Philly haven’t meant a spike in COVID-19 cases so far, health officials report
Two weeks after protests in Philadelphia drew crowds of thousands and led to clashes with police, data maintained by the city indicate the large gatherings haven’t caused a spike in COVID-19 cases so far....Farley and other health experts said that since the protests were outdoors and many people wore masks, a surge might not result.

Myradyl Muse

Mermaid Myradyl Muse
SL Rez
I've noticed another trend. With various restrictions incrementally loosening, there's a noticeable reduction in people wearing masks in grocery stores. I always wear mine still while shopping, plus maintain social distance. Due to heart disease, I've been very alarmed to find people stepping right next to me, no mask, reaching over me to get fruit, etc. Over the past few months, almost everyone had a mask on while shopping despite it not being mandatory here. Now it looks like less than 50% are continuing. My Evil Eye stare is no longer effective. It's as if people decided 'ok then, all clear, nothing to worry about anymore, all gone!' Me, solo, wearing my little mask does little good if others are breathing and coughing around me, uncovered. Both masks are needed for effectiveness.

Is this basic human nature, oblivious selfishness, willful ostrich-head-in-sand?

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
I've noticed another trend. With various restrictions incrementally loosening, there's a noticeable reduction in people wearing masks in grocery stores. I always wear mine still while shopping, plus maintain social distance. Due to heart disease, I've been very alarmed to find people stepping right next to me, no mask, reaching over me to get fruit, etc. Over the past few months, almost everyone had a mask on while shopping despite it not being mandatory here. Now it looks like less than 50% are continuing. My Evil Eye stare is no longer effective. It's as if people decided 'ok then, all clear, nothing to worry about anymore, all gone!' Me, solo, wearing my little mask does little good if others are breathing and coughing around me, uncovered. Both masks are needed for effectiveness.

Is this basic human nature, oblivious selfishness, willful ostrich-head-in-sand?
Stupidity..... that's my theory

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Scar tissue from severe burns can be very painful for absolutely years. In this mans case I think an exception should have been made and someone should have helped him at the drive through instead of just telling him to go there and use it. Sometimes we have to use common sense too.

The assholes who can wear masks and are refusing to are making it impossible for people like him.
In addition to not wearing masks at all some of them use things like the ADA to get out of a mask. So now people who do have a medical reason why they can not wear a mask have to worry about what will happen to that protection if it gets routinely abused.

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
In addition to not wearing masks at all some of them use things like the ADA to get out of a mask. So now people who do have a medical reason why they can not wear a mask have to worry about what will happen to that protection if it gets routinely abused.
If suppose I'm lucky, then, that I have to carry an information card in my wallet and wear a medical ID. If necessary I will dangle my MedAlert pendant in the face of any of those inconsiderate jerks, and remind the store of their liability.
Maybe that's being a "Karen", but it's my health at stake, so fuck what they think.
So far, thank the universe everyone where I shop has been sensible, or at least considerate.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Myradyl Muse