Marijuana Simulation Goggles... is Diminished Reality a Thing?

bubblesort

This company makes goggles that claim to simlate marijuana by impairing, "the participant’s ability to accurately perceive color." I don't know what they've been smoking, but I don't think that's what marijuana does. Police departments are using this to 'educate' students all over the country, in some kind of reefer madness program or something, even in states where marijuana is legal.

They also make goggles that simulate beer goggles, concussions, being drowsy, and opiods.

I think these products are probably ski goggles with some funky polarization filters in them, so they are not the kind of AR/VR tech that we usually talk about here, but I think it's a form of AR. It's certainly priced in the AR market.

That makes me think about the directions AR may take as it matures. In VR, we have things like RLV. It always surprises me how popular RLV is. Maybe AR will take similar directions? We've always had digital drugs in cyberpunk novels. Maybe AR will go that direction? Limitations make us creative and all that.

I wonder if we might want to use AR to show us less instead of more? Imagine a submarine hunter board game where the submarine hunter can see everything, except the submarine admiral's subs.

In a more practical sense... maybe we can make AR ad blockers. People would shell out good money for google glass if it could hide ads in the real world.

Kalel

hypnotized
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
in a society in which we are constantly bombarded by ADs yes diminished reality is a thing....

you see it all the time in movies.... that person can't really fly there are wires there... that building isn't actually the avenger building....That werewolf is a guy in a suit... they are erasing it/replacing it and making you belive it is something else or not there at all..

hypnotism/mind control/hyper focused realities..... getting away from the daily in and outs of life being able to block out your senses (or diminish them temporarily) Can be quite addicting. it's all over BDSM.. want somone else to take control for a while so they don't have to think. Escape from reality.. while AR is on the rise DR will be too...

don't want to see a trump post? install this plugin....

don't want see people poorer then you while you walk your pampered dog.. install this plugin...

wanna see what your bed room looks like with this furniture minus everything else in there? theres an app for that.

• 1Like
Reactions: bubblesort

Free

Real life NFT
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Could make for a very boring party.

• 1Agree

Noodles

Queen of Ramen
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
The dumb thing with these "simulation goggles" is there is more to impairment than what you see.

Like beer goggles make it funky and hard to focus to walk a straight line, but if you know they are there, it's not hard to just sort of shut part of your brain out and rely on your regular balance and sense of space to just, walk straight.

Hell, marijuana glasses that just make you sort of color blind, if anything, would downplay any actual impairment.

• 1Agree

Lady Darnk Juniorette

⚧🎃💀Chaos Agent Mommy Milky💀🎃⚧
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2012
SLU Posts
Never in my years of smoking has it ever made colors less so.

Good lawd the endless questions and remarks that nobody whould want to listen to on this I could make.

Can we just go back to people smoking once and having an awful time of it to be peoples thoughts of what being high is like? No need for googles to be wrong on something. POINTLESSLY COMPLICATEDED!!!!!

• 1LOL