Mapping 46 - what should/will Biden do?

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
What I keep seeing here is variations on "term limits are bad, because" and then proclamations on some undesirable activity. Undesirable to us, at least. But in each case, it's an undesirable activity we already deal with on a regular basis in the political sphere. Only without term limits!

The U.S. has never actually implemented maximum term limits at the federal level - except in regards to the presidency, and I don't see anyone here arguing about its negative impact on that office. So claims on how setting max term limits will only make things worse are just conjecture.
As far as I can tell from the table here, in most places it's generally only the office of the Head of State that's usually subject to any kind of term limit -- legislators in almost every country can continue in office for as long as the voters want them, and in parliamentary democracies, whether republics or constitutional monarchies, the Head of Government serves at the will of the legislature, who are subject to periodic re-election.

To my mind, if you're going to change the constitution to impose term limits on federal legislators, then you should go a lot further than that, and try to fix the system that gives rise to the problems to which term limits may seem a solution (but I don't think they are).

The US system of government looked like a good idea 200-odd years ago, at least to the more or less wealthy and powerful white men who were devising it, particularly since many of them were slave-owning oligarchs, and those who weren't had to accommodate the interests of those who were, but now it looks to the rest of us as if it's showing its age rather.

Nowadays, if any sane person were trying to devise a workable system of government for a democratic federal republic, they'd look to Germany for their model, not the US, and I really think that's where the US should look for ideas.

• 1Agree
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Ashiri and Sid

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
When we are talking about term limits, where does campaign finance reformation come into play? I mean, if we look at some of those politicians that many deem desirable to remove, is not part of the issue that they've been eating at the trough of shady lobbyists, kickbacks and, of course, are beholden to huge money interests; that they are bought men lock, stock and barrel?

Given that our highest court has deemed that such money flowing into our system is welcome, is there even a chance to remove it? It is so far gone that we have foreign interests funneling money into some of the biggest lobbying groups (think Russia's funneling of money into the NRA as an example) which is then funneled into the pockets of our politicians, bypassing rules against foreign campaign finance and interference.

Of course, those same lobbyists can even launch entire political movements such as the Tea Party, and following that a whole new breed of politician. One that has gone into the profession not to serve, but to destroy.

Just some random thoughts.

detrius

Joined SLU
09-30-2007
SLU Posts
So your argument is, only experienced politicos should ever run for office?
No, I'm saying your proposal would ~bar~ people ~with~ experience from running for office and that it would inevitably end in a situation where the only people who know how to run things are unelected lobbyists.

You're the one proposing limitations, I'm just explaining the consequences - don't put words in my mouth.

Last edited:

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
No, I'm saying your proposal would ~bar~ people ~with~ experience from running for office and that it would inevitably end in a situation where the only people who know how to run things are unelected lobbyists.
I doubt it would, and I've already pointed out the simpleness of that argument here.

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
More and more, i hope he doesn't pardon any of the ones who are directly complicit in this attempt at a coup. I hope every treasonous one of them gets tried for -that- crime. From Pompous, to the turtle [sorry turtles for the insult] they all should be punished because unlike the orange one [who the best punishment for is forcing him to live with being a loser], really, really do know exactly what they are doing.

They have aided, abetted and profited off selling out our country, they took advantage of a patently mentally and emotionally broken individual, and betrayed every last one of us, while managing to make half of us think the other half is the problem.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Ryanna Enfield

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Nowadays, if any sane person were trying to devise a workable system of government for a democratic federal republic, they'd look to Germany for their model, not the US, and I really think that's where the US should look for ideas.
That looks like an idea worth pondering.

Rather than all these "term limits bad because same problems as now, only worse (I suspect)." :kittyball:

• 1Like
Reactions: Innula Zenovka

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
I have been hearing that Bernie Sanders desires Secretary of Labor and that Elizabeth Warren may be called to serve in some capacity. Both of them serve as Senators in states that have Republican Governors so their replacements would be named by those Governors until a special election could be held.

What do folks think of that, in particular in light of where we stand with the Senate currently?

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Ryanna Enfield

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I have been hearing that Bernie Sanders desires Secretary of Labor and that Elizabeth Warren may be called to serve in some capacity. Both of them serve as Senators in states that have Republican Governors so their replacements would be named by those Governors until a special election could be held.
It might be worth the risk on the short term.

EDIT:
However, losing either voice in the Senate might hurt us, no matter who eventually wins their seats.

Eunoli

SLU Cassandra
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
If the elections in Georgia make the point moot, Biden could do it. If control of the Senate rests on them, then no.
That's a razor slim margin, however. What happens if someone gets sick and dies or caught with their pants down?

danielravennest

SLU Posts
If the elections in Georgia make the point moot, Biden could do it. If control of the Senate rests on them, then no.
If both Warnock and Ossoff win in Georgia, the Senate will be 50-50, and VP Harris will break ties. There's zero margin in the Senate. There's a whole lot of qualified people in less critical positions than Senators.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
What, isn't that what Americans presidents do as a hobby in general?
He is to old to practice basketball dunks.
Before donnie most of them played golf but he was the only one that treated it as vacation time. In a lot of circles that is where deals are made and you talk to other movers and shakers. Plus the pre donnie ones had all sorts of resources when they were doing their sport of choice.

Oh and there is the little thing that don said he would never be out there. Then decided otherwise when he found out he could scam more money.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
President-elect Joe Biden is expected to take a historic step and select a woman to head the Pentagon for the first time, shattering one of the few remaining barriers to women in the department and the presidential Cabinet.

Michele Flournoy, a politically moderate Pentagon veteran, is regarded by U.S. officials and political insiders as a top choice for the position.

Jopsy Pendragon

Magic thrives within Intentionality
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
What I'd like to see (obviously not all within presidential scope of ability to make happen):

Constitutional Amendment: An elected official may not be re-elected to the same office they were impeached from.

FBI: start rounding up domestic terrorist leaders / enemy combatants and make with the extraordinary rendition.

INS/ICE: Re-unite all asylum seeking families broken up at the border and re-assign those that had the lack of scruples to act as their conscienceless wardens to new jobs. Patrolling our northern border on foot. (or let them quit and try to find other employment)

Covid: executive order: National mask mandate with an explicit end-date late spring next year.

Wind/Solar Energy Excellence Program: Federally subsidized solar/wind power when it's sold across state lines.

Constitutional Amendment: All U.S. citizens are eligible to vote, and, like the census, the government must ensure that everyone registered and willing to vote has a reasonable opportunity to do so. Possible jail time for election officials and their supervisors who fail to keep average wait time at individual polling places below 1 hour.