Male Mesh Avatars

Bea McMahon

Sister Jazz
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
It's been a long, long time since my old pal Ned Easterwood has made an appearance. I am thinking about reviving him. He is, of course, completely a classic av at this point. What are some mesh bodies that I might look at that would give me the look of a rather regular sort of fellow? I would want a new skin, of course - BOM aside, his is over a dzen years old. He used a Nomine Mosaic skin,, and wore hair from Bryce Designs.

GoblinCampFollower

SL Rez
You want him to look like a regular sort of fellow? You don't want to be +7 feet tall with GIANT muscles or some sort of fantasy monster? I honestly have no idea.... lol. It's not often I see an average looking dude in SL.. You might still be better off using the default avatar if you want "normal" proportions but just update your skin and cloths to look more "Modern." There are a lot of decent skin options if you just search the marketplace for "male skin"

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Bea McMahon

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
What are some mesh bodies that I might look at that would give me the look of a rather regular sort of fellow?
I recommend a somewhat backwards way of choosing among the male mesh bodies. Look at a selection of clothing items that fit your style and see what bodies can wear them.

There's a relatively small number to review, so it also depends on your own aesthetic tastes as to which has the greatest appeal:

Slink
Adam
Legacy
Signature Gianni & Geralt
Belleza Jake

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
I recommend a somewhat backwards way of choosing among the male mesh bodies. Look at a selection of clothing items that fit your style and see what bodies can wear them.

There's a relatively small number to review, so it also depends on your own aesthetic tastes as to which has the greatest appeal:

Slink
Adam
Legacy
Signature Gianni & Geralt
Belleza Jake
There's also Altamura. They have some less pricey ones,and even gift is from time to time.
My male alt is wearing one of the former,, and he looks pretty normal.
7 Deadly S{k}ins is good for group gifts, lucky boats and deals on skins. The lucky boards skew more towards female skins, but there are male ones too.
I should revive him, too.

Bea McMahon

Sister Jazz
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Thank you for your feedback. Right now I am collecting body demos - and heads - and checking pricing. I will certainly look at clothing before I make a decision.
I don't have any idea how much Ned would actually be around, so I don't see a large wardrobe, but, again, I want to look like a normal adult. I refuse to dress like I just fell off a turnip truck, or walked out of music video.
And, gads, the old AO I have - yikes!
One further question - who makes Legacy bodies? Doing a Search for such either in-world or on MP has not been successful.

• 1Like
Reactions: Romana

Bea McMahon

Sister Jazz
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Thank you! I did find it, eventually!

I had a long talk with Lewis Luminos (whom some of you surely remember, and who has been a friend of mine for over a dozen years).
Lewis reports that Slink, Adam, Geralt, and Jake are all losing ground. He referred to Jake as "abandonware" - highly flawed, with no plans to update.
I am currently leaning towards Legacy. and perhaps a Catwa head. Since I don't plan to use him a lot, I won't buy a whole lot of clothes - a tux, a nice suit if I can find one, and a casual outfit or two. I found some stuff I really liked on MP, but demos show they use only standard sizes.
On cleaning out his inv, I am mourning his wardrobe. It may have been just texture layer stuff, but he had dress pants as well as cargos and jeans. He had vintage suits, button front shirts, sport jackets, everything. And he changed every day. I have been having fun putting him in something different when I get done looking at demos. Very fond memories of those days.

• 1Hug
Reactions: Archer

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
Thank you! I did find it, eventually!

I had a long talk with Lewis Luminos (whom some of you surely remember, and who has been a friend of mine for over a dozen years).
Lewis reports that Slink, Adam, Geralt, and Jake are all losing ground. He referred to Jake as "abandonware" - highly flawed, with no plans to update.
I am currently leaning towards Legacy. and perhaps a Catwa head. Since I don't plan to use him a lot, I won't buy a whole lot of clothes - a tux, a nice suit if I can find one, and a casual outfit or two. I found some stuff I really liked on MP, but demos show they use only standard sizes.
On cleaning out his inv, I am mourning his wardrobe. It may have been just texture layer stuff, but he had dress pants as well as cargos and jeans. He had vintage suits, button front shirts, sport jackets, everything. And he changed every day. I have been having fun putting him in something different when I get done looking at demos. Very fond memories of those days.
Won't you be able to use the texture layer stuff with BOM?

• 1Agree
Reactions: Govi

Rose Karuna

Always cooking something up
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Thank you for your feedback. Right now I am collecting body demos - and heads - and checking pricing. I will certainly look at clothing before I make a decision.
I don't have any idea how much Ned would actually be around, so I don't see a large wardrobe, but, again, I want to look like a normal adult. I refuse to dress like I just fell off a turnip truck, or walked out of music video.
And, gads, the old AO I have - yikes!
One further question - who makes Legacy bodies? Doing a Search for such either in-world or on MP has not been successful.
:qft::word:

Rant Warning// I am having terrible problems with my appearance. I guess I just don't know how it all works now, (I left SL for a couple of years and then came back this year) but just when I get my appearance the way I want it, I log back in and find that it has reverted to the original avatar shape (Gretchen?), I can't find a legacy body that I can modify. :grr: Also, if I try and create an undershirt or something like that, it won't leave the "create" mode or save and now I've lost the ability to save my outfit. I am sure I'm doing something wrong but for the life of me I can't figure out what. Trying to modify outfits or physical appearance seriously sucks in general.

I went looking for an Easter dress, one like I would wear in RL. First off, everything is "no modify", so if you want to have a more realistic full figure, well, forget about it because you can't stretch anything to fit. I don't want half my body hanging out, I want a mesh "1950's style" dress with soft flowers on it that has a reasonable collar (not showing half my boobs) and that is at least down past my knees and it's just not happening. I spent three hours going from place to place looking yesterday and never even found the style, let alone one that would fit me. I've started wearing mens jeans and jackets because women's stuff just sucks. //Rant Off :deadhorse:

Clara D.

Coffee Squirrel is judging you.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts

Rant Warning// I am having terrible problems with my appearance. I guess I just don't know how it all works now, (I left SL for a couple of years and then came back this year) but just when I get my appearance the way I want it, I log back in and find that it has reverted to the original avatar shape (Gretchen?), I can't find a legacy body that I can modify. :grr: Also, if I try and create an undershirt or something like that, it won't leave the "create" mode or save and now I've lost the ability to save my outfit. I am sure I'm doing something wrong but for the life of me I can't figure out what. Trying to modify outfits or physical appearance seriously sucks in general.

I went looking for an Easter dress, one like I would wear in RL. First off, everything is "no modify", so if you want to have a more realistic full figure, well, forget about it because you can't stretch anything to fit. I don't want half my body hanging out, I want a mesh "1950's style" dress with soft flowers on it that has a reasonable collar (not showing half my boobs) and that is at least down past my knees and it's just not happening. I spent three hours going from place to place looking yesterday and never even found the style, let alone one that would fit me. I've started wearing mens jeans and jackets because women's stuff just sucks. //Rant Off :deadhorse:
I'm sort of confused by this.

Mesh body you don't mod to change the shape, you edit the underlying shape.

If you buy clothing made for the body, it should fit fine, no matter what you've done to the shape (buy demos first).

At this point, you're best off getting a mesh body, the clothing made for it should just fit.
No more having to fuck around with your shape to get "standard sizing"(lol) mesh clothing to fit.
And there's very slim pickings anymore for the system body.

Rigged mesh won't stretch, mod just lets you change the color, fix overdone shine, and such.

If you're looking for a fuller figure, I'd suggest Slink Hourglass -- it's almost as well supported as Maitreya.

On a side note: I'm not sure if it's Firestorm or SL moving completely to the cloud but editing appearance is complete suck, it feels like SL is going to crash and burn each time I move a slider.

Last edited:
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Rose Karuna

Noodles

☑️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
I'm sort of confused by this.

At this point, you're best off getting a mesh body, the clothing made for it should just fit.
No more having to fuck around with your shape to get "standard sizing"(lol) mesh clothing to fit.
And there's very slim pickings anymore for the system body.

Rigged mesh won't stretch, mod just lets you change the color, fix overdone shine, and such.
Actually with BOM, a lot of older "standard sized" items are useful again, because you can wear the alpha layer like you would on the system avatar.

And I know I am biased, but I sell two different tee shirtnstyles from templates, one is "standard sizes" and the other is "various body sizes", and I like the fit of the standard sizes with alphas better. The "body fit" styles hug too much to the body for my tastes.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Wait, what? Legacy is a brand? I've always assumed it referred to ... well, older mesh bodies, or something, or even classic avatars.
You're not the only one they've fooled. :cool:

• 2Agree
Reactions: Govi and Clara D.

Clara D.

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
Actually with BOM, a lot of older "standard sized" items are useful again, because you can wear the alpha layer like you would on the system avatar.

And I know I am biased, but I sell two different tee shirtnstyles from templates, one is "standard sizes" and the other is "various body sizes", and I like the fit of the standard sizes with alphas better. The "body fit" styles hug too much to the body for my tastes.
I could never do standard sizes -- I refused to alter my various alt's rail-thin/chunky/curvy shapes to make them work :p

And I didn't do mesh bodies until after BOM -- I have too many old system stuffs that it'd get expensive to hack and re-upload to turn into appliers.

For the moment, the alts are all getting Maitreya -- the Physique elbows did odd things with my AO and it annoyed. With some minor tweaks, the alts are still pretty much all their various body types.

Bea McMahon

Sister Jazz
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Won't you be able to use the texture layer stuff with BOM?
Yeah, but even then, it's 12 years old - plus! And that was the stuff that was new, then!
My thought on this is evolving...if this is an "every now and then" account to use, some of the stuff Lewis talked about does not matter...not gonna be buying lots of clothes..certainly less than I do!
Leaning toward Geralt, now...was looking at who made skins for Catwa..oh, look, there's the Skinnery...I wear one of their skins.
So off I send him - surprise, they only make Catwa appliers for men ...gotta use a skin from another vendor for the body. Head over there..I swear, they hid the body skins somewhere..ok, this is too complicated. If I can get the body and head from the same creator, it makes life a lot easier...

I'll keep you updated. :)

I went looking for an Easter dress, one like I would wear in RL.
Try Powdermoon; look at their swing dresses. Knee length, full skirts, cute as can be, and multiple textures in a hud for almost all of them.

• 1Love
Reactions: Rose Karuna

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
Wait, what? Legacy is a brand? I've always assumed it referred to ... well, older mesh bodies, or something, or even classic avatars.
Interestingly, when I went looking for BOM body songs to match the Lara Hurley I bought at the Skin Fair, the Legacy was the only one that came with system skins. The Slink and Maitreya were super -only.

Shiloh Lyric

Staying Woke
SL Rez
Joined SLU
August, 2008
Interestingly, when I went looking for BOM body songs to match the Lara Hurley I bought at the Skin Fair, the Legacy was the only one that came with system skins. The Slink and Maitreya were super -only.
I bought the Lara Hurley Hazel skin at the Skin Fair for the Lelutka EvoX head. (Ava?) And encountered the same problem. But there ARE BOM skins for Maitreya there. Not sure about Slink. I'll be honest, for the life of me, I can't remember how I found them. (I mean, they're with her body skins, but in one of the boxes after your purchase) I think they're in with the Maitreya applier, somehow. They say 'new skins', but not the 'new' that are for 2020. A different 'new'. I know...confusing. I may have even taken a redelivery to finally get the right skins that match the Hazel head. It was a very...odd...experience. But she does have them.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Romana

Clara D.

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
I've used the same ancient sytem skins on both Maitreya and Slink Physique.

• 1Like
Reactions: Noodles

Noodles

☑️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
I've used the same ancient sytem skins on both Maitreya and Slink Physique.
Yeah, I have used the same skin for ages. From System to Applier to BOM body and head.