Making a jump animation not snap back to it's starting point.

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
I have a jump animation that travels maybe 3 or 4 meters and then (naturally) snaps back to it's starting point. I know why this happens, etc - but I want to eliminate the "snap back" through some mechanism. I've tried using llMoveToTarget and it "sort of" works when I use a shorter jump, but it's still pretty kludgy and doesn't work well.

So what are my alternatives? My animation skills are functional but not very skilled - by luck and some grinding I was able to modify a free Carnagie Mellon University jump animation to be useful in SL but that was the extent of my abilities, so I'm looking for a solution that doesn't involve modding the animation more than I have. I have excellent scripting skills.

Thanks.

Kamilah Hauptmann

A bit of a wanker
SL Rez
Your current solution of timing the movement with the animation won't improve beyond "sort of works" since it's fighting the whims of server lag and given what SL is, even if you time them perfectly you'll see rubberbanding a double digit percentage of the time.

You'll need a new animation that takes off and lands at the same place, and move the avatar throughout the animation. Lots of tull perms sellers out there, and you might tind a freebie. Hell, you might just use the built in SL animations. You could also since you're editng on some level, remove the forward placement of the skeleton in each frame.

Even then it will still merely sort of work. But it'll be more reliable.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Soen Eber

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Thanks.

I've done that with a couple other animations and have the script already written, so it'll be easy ... if time-consuming :( Still hoping for something easier, though.

Kamilah Hauptmann

A bit of a wanker
SL Rez
Post your success story here if you find something, I'm sure I'm not the only one interested to see your solution.