Looking for an alternative Human Interface Device / what do you use besides mouse and keyboard?

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
It looks like SL gave me an RSI from WASD-ing too much. So I now look to alternatives for movement controlls but the HID market seems to be smaller than it was years ago. I successfully got SL running with PS controller clones and Steampad - so I know analog controller input works. But when using my trusty mouse with the right hand, left hand only controller input is a bit awkward.

I looked into the Razer Orbweaver... but that one just has a cheap 8 direction pad and I do not feel very excited to spend 140 bucks on a product which needs me soldering another 30 bucks worth of microcontrollers and a real joystick into it (if I go the teensy microcontroller route I think I would be better off if I just build my own left hand device from scratch).

Basically what I want for SL movement would be:
  • an anlog joystick emulating the left controller joystick
  • a button for PgUp
  • a button for PgDwn
  • a button for space
  • a button for shift
additional an optional WASD would be neat but I can get my hands back on my keyboard for vehicle operations.

the Hori T.A.C Pro would look like it provides everything I want but sadly it does not come with Linux support* and the angle of the joystick position does not look very comfortable either.

*sigh*

So I am intrigued: what are your analog input devices and are they suitable for left hand use only?

*for those wondering: neither does the orbweaver come with Linux support - but there is 3rd party retroengineered control software for that thing.

Clara D.

FOR PRESIDENT 2020!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
Hrms. The Logitech G13 might have been okay with the original $80us msrp, but they've become unobtanium for $300+
Linux support is a bit hacky.

There are joysticks with keypads, but they're not in the slightest bit ergonomic - like someone just stuck a keypad on an old Atari joystick.

Last edited:
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Fionalein

Ashiri

√(-1)
SL Rez
SLU Posts
FWIW, I usually use firestorm because it has the ability to control movement via the mouse. Other TPVs might have the same functionality.

• 1Thanks

NeoBokrug Elytis

Thread Reaper
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts
SL supports these natively for camming around, moving, and building. I have an old first generation piece of hardware that still works and looks like the Compact version they sell now.

Old versions can probably be found on ebay, and are a little wider than the compact.

I can't live without mine.

Torley did a video about it:

• 1Thanks

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Wasn't there some kind of trackball-ish controller that was all the rage a few years ago? I think Torley even once did a video about using it for SL.

I can't offer much more though; aside from actual joysticks and Xbox controllers, the only especial game controllers I'm familiar with are just basically truncated left-hand keypads that might have only a negligible advantage over just using the keyboard.

OrinB

I'm here...
SL Rez
Joined SLU
23 Sept 2009
SLU Posts
I actually use a wacom pen to navigate round everything! I still use the direction keys to move and/or the floating movement palette (yeah i'm not a gamer so i started with that and haven't stopped using that in 12yrs.) I use alt click to zoom in on things and manage to cope quite well... untill i drop my pen and then double click TP all over the place! (DOH!)

I hate mice... I don't get RSI using my pen as i move my wrist and arm a lot over the tablet just in normal use.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Ha yeah, I think I must've taken a while to finish posting that and didn't see Neo ninja'ing me. ^^

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
Update: I bought a Hori tac pro V2 today (new version), here are my fiirst impressions:

it is a bit small (and that comes from me having small fingers on top)...
it works out of the box with Linux
custom key layouts must be configured via a smartphone app (I-OS or Android) and bluetooth

out of the box works almost fine for me, but i would like to remap the thumbpad to analog stick (is wasd) by default...

Imnotgoing Sideways

Puts the FU in Cute
Spacenav FTW! I have one at home and work! Solidworks + Spacenav = Kroztier modelling. DX

Regarding RSI in general, I've been a strong advocate to going to good mech keys and using them properly. By properly, I mean never ever ever ever bottom them out. I use Cherry MX-Blue at home and MX-Brown at work. When typing and WASD, I only ever push the keys past click (bump for brown). As such, I'm never applying enough pressure to really stress my joints.

Also, angle the keyboard away. I use an under-desk keyboard tray which allows me to slope rear-down to keep arm-wrist an alignment in a straight line.

That said, I have a Razor Tartarus that I may or may not give another chance. =^-^=

Myficals

Nein!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Feb 2010
SLU Posts
What about the in-built movement and camera floaters? No good if you need to use SL in 1st person, but for general trundling around I've always found them decent enough.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
I prefer trackballs. Logitech and Kensington have a few. If you use a mac you can also use an ipad as an input device now.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Imnotgoing Sideways