Local Yearly Crop You Look Forward To Every Year

Isabeau

Merdeuse
Here, we go a tad gaga over our strawberries every year. It’s nuts. They’re smaller but red, juicy, and extra sweet and whenever they come in everyone MUST get some.
I’m eating some right now. 🍓 🍓🍓

There’s also corn, of course, at the end of summer, and we have a “épluchette de blé-d’Inde” (Corn cob party?)

What fruit or veggie time do you look forward to in your part of the world?

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
I miss cherries [too many carbs, compared to other berries and fruit]. I love strawberries, and I love peaches. This year they are so juicy and sweet, and its like a silver lining to the rest of this year.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Just to nitpick, shouldn't the thread title reference "seasonal" crops?

I up for Katheryne's sweet corn. I'm also in on squash, and a big watermelon lover.

Tirellia

Cold and Wet
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Early season asparagus grown locally. I don't like the after effects though :(
Jersey Royal new potatoes.
Local strawberries. I gorge on them usually. This year's just too weird though.
Damsons. For those who don't know, damsons are like tiny plums, very sour. But stewed with demarara sugar and a vanilla pod, then served with cream, ice cream custard, yoghurt or best of all, more damsons, they are a delight.

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
Strawberries, sweet corn and tomatoes. I love home-grown tomatoes. They are so much better than the sickly things that are sold in stores and have been known to eat them as one would an apple, on occasion.

Rose Karuna

Always cooking something up
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
For me, it's mangos, bananas and avocados.

My Mom loved strawberries SO much but unfortunately she was allergic to them. Nevertheless, every summer crates of strawberries would show up at our house and Mom would eat them until she broke out in a rash so bad she couldn't sleep at night. We all just started calling it Mom's "summer strawberry rash". 😁

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
Just to nitpick, shouldn't the thread title reference "seasonal" crops?

I up for Katheryne's sweet corn. I'm also in on squash, and a big watermelon lover.
OMG, my husband brought home a seedless watermelon a while back that a couple of his friends grew at their rural home, and it was the sweetest, juiciest, reddest watermelon we've ever had! Puts the store-bought ones to shame!

Living in a rural part of the state has its advantages.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Not really a "crop", but wild blueberries.
They are a crop, just not the type that can use industrial farming methods for planting and whatnot. They're often referred to as a natural crop, like honey and maple syrup.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Eunoli