List of Social VR Worlds for Possible Use as Subforum Titles under Virtual World Discussion...

RyanSchultz

Social VR/Virtual Worlds Blogger
Cristiano, I do maintain a reasonably up-to-date and comprehensive list of social VR/virtual world platforms if you are looking for a list of platforms to create subforum headings under the Virtual World Discussion forum, Cristiano:

List of Social VR/Virtual Worlds

• 1Thanks
Reactions: 8bit Biologist

Adam Frisby

I have somewhat biased opinions; but I think it might make sense to do forum categories by generation.

E.g. Gen One; ActiveWorlds, VRML (maybe just lump this all into one forum since they're all mostly dead), etc; Gen Two; Second Life, IMVU, There, Gen Three; Sinespace, Sansar, VRChat, etc.

Trilo

as a SineSpace user yet non-drinker of the VR kool-aid, I’m a little biased. Yeah, SineSpace can support VR, but it is so so so much more than that infinitely small market segment (sorry VR enthusiasts, the numbers don’t lie). SineSpace is a social virtual world, but not primarily aimed at VR. It’s intended to be as accessible as possible, which means clients for Windows, Mac, and Linux.... plus once they eventually get a little further along.... iOS & Android. In my mind, that’s a much bigger deal than VR, since the vast majority of social and the vast majority of casual gaming in 2018 (and the foreseeable future) takes place on mobile devices.

I’m not sure if I agree with Adam’s idea of Gen !, gen 2, etc... because I think the new user may not know or care. I think you dedicate a section to a world (ie SL, Sansar, SineSpace, HiFi, IMVU, whatever), and then have an ‘all other’ catchall category for the stuff that doesn’t justify having a dedicated section.

• 2Like
Reactions: Tracer and NyteWytch

RyanSchultz

I'd have sections for each of what I call the Big Five: AltspaceVR, High Fidelity, Sansar, Sinespace, and VRChat. And then maybe a catch all category for the rest.

Sid

Most likely on a coffee break.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Yes
Sansar in big five?
Better in Dead In The Water.

Or have there been big changes in the visitor numbers recently?

bubblesort

I always considered Gopher 3D to be the first generation, but I don't know if you want to go that far back in the primordial ooze for a subforum. Also, there was something called paperclip, and another named blue something, which both predated blue mars. I think the one called paperclip was the one with the best non-euclidian geometry. It had portals you could look through, in real time. So you could have a door or a window you could look through to see what's going on in a different part of the grid, and then step through it to go there. That and gopher 3D were both made by Mark Mccahill (who also invented normal gopher and hyperlinks and stuff like that).

Stupid question... do we consider Minecraft to be a virtual world?

Noodles

Queen of Ramen
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
Stupid question... do we consider Minecraft to be a virtual world?
I have sort of asked myself this a few times and come to the conclusion that Minecraft is a Virtual World.

I also consider MMOs to be a sort of, Virtual World Lite.

Sunshine Carami

No Dude, am not new...just another lurker
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2008
SLU Posts
throwing my 1 3/4 cents in....a subforum for HG enabled grids? VR focused grids?

• 1Like
Reactions: Macphisto Angelus

bubblesort

I just dug through my old backups, trying to find my old list of virtual worlds. I used to explore weird virtual worlds regularly, years ago. It felt like exploring a sparsely populated, half-forgotten frontier. RyanSchultz 's list is good, but it feels incomplete to me. I know I have a bookmarks folder with dozens of virtual worlds in it in my old backups, and that might help complete his list. I just need to find it.

After a little digging, I realized my memory for names is horrible. What I wrote before was wrong. When I said Paperclip, I meant Croquet, and the world with blue in the name is actually called Open Cobalt. A couple of more virtual worlds in this vein were Open Wonderland, and NASA's WolrdWind. Also, Wiggleplanet was a virtual world that tried to do education with emotionally intelligent AI. These worlds were academic in nature, so they were graphically crude by most standards.

Jibe was a platform that kind of bridged the gap to help people make virtual worlds in Unity. It's not exactly a virtual world, but it lets you make virtual worlds easier. The company that made it worked hard to court the academic OpenSim crowd, but I don't think it took off, for a lot of reasons (to start with, their price point was too high). If we include Jibe, though, we would also include things like Project Darkstar, which was an MMORPG engine made by Oracle.

A lot of the stuff I'm listing here was either made by, or targetted at academics. I used to be an academic in SL, and from what I can tell, most academics who continue to use virtual worlds moved on to Open Sim when the academic discount in SL went away. Most of the academics who are still doing interesting things eventually moved on to Unity 3D from there. I don't get the impression that Jibe took off with them, because they all kind of just make standalone virtualizations now, rather than virtual worlds. Some great non-acadmic SL devs moved on to Unity, as well. I attended a panel on Vive development last year at MAG Labs, and it was run by an ex-SL content creator who was doing some cool Vive stuff in Unity. I think most people who go that route start with VR Chat and get more advanced from there, until they are developing in Unity.

Here's a pretty good timeline of virtual worlds, from wikipedia. It has holes, but it's a good start.

Anyway, I'll keep digging through my old backups and let you know if I find anything cool.

Cristiano

Full Frontal Nerdity
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
throwing my 1 3/4 cents in....a subforum for HG enabled grids? VR focused grids?
The forum this thread is in covers VR focused worlds - are you talking about OpenSim specific VR grids?

Sunshine Carami

No Dude, am not new...just another lurker
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2008
SLU Posts
Cris, I didn't notice that this subforum was the VR world one.

RyanSchultz

I just dug through my old backups, trying to find my old list of virtual worlds. I used to explore weird virtual worlds regularly, years ago. It felt like exploring a sparsely populated, half-forgotten frontier. RyanSchultz 's list is good, but it feels incomplete to me. I know I have a bookmarks folder with dozens of virtual worlds in it in my old backups, and that might help complete his list. I just need to find it.

After a little digging, I realized my memory for names is horrible. What I wrote before was wrong. When I said Paperclip, I meant Croquet, and the world with blue in the name is actually called Open Cobalt. A couple of more virtual worlds in this vein were Open Wonderland, and NASA's WolrdWind. Also, Wiggleplanet was a virtual world that tried to do education with emotionally intelligent AI. These worlds were academic in nature, so they were graphically crude by most standards.

Jibe was a platform that kind of bridged the gap to help people make virtual worlds in Unity. It's not exactly a virtual world, but it lets you make virtual worlds easier. The company that made it worked hard to court the academic OpenSim crowd, but I don't think it took off, for a lot of reasons (to start with, their price point was too high). If we include Jibe, though, we would also include things like Project Darkstar, which was an MMORPG engine made by Oracle.

A lot of the stuff I'm listing here was either made by, or targetted at academics. I used to be an academic in SL, and from what I can tell, most academics who continue to use virtual worlds moved on to Open Sim when the academic discount in SL went away. Most of the academics who are still doing interesting things eventually moved on to Unity 3D from there. I don't get the impression that Jibe took off with them, because they all kind of just make standalone virtualizations now, rather than virtual worlds. Some great non-acadmic SL devs moved on to Unity, as well. I attended a panel on Vive development last year at MAG Labs, and it was run by an ex-SL content creator who was doing some cool Vive stuff in Unity. I think most people who go that route start with VR Chat and get more advanced from there, until they are developing in Unity.

Here's a pretty good timeline of virtual worlds, from wikipedia. It has holes, but it's a good start.

Anyway, I'll keep digging through my old backups and let you know if I find anything cool.
This is AWESOME stuff, thank you! I'm probably not covering those older virtual worlds which have already closed, beyond those I have already on the blog. But this is great stuff, I hadn't heard of most of these virtual worlds before, and I consider myself fairly knowledgable about them :)

Last edited: