Links automatically parsing in the text editor?

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
This is something that I've noticed only recently - like within the last month or two? I want to know if anyone else is experiencing this.

It used to be, in the text editor where I'm composing a reply (or this thread OP), I could do things like create hotlinks on my own by for instance surrounding a URL with the url BBCode tags. On rare occasions I could just paste a link and when posting the board software automatically converts it appropriately - so like I could enter the bare URL of a YouTube video and when I hit "post" it just appears in the thread as a playable video.

But I can't do any of those things anymore, because when I post a bare URL in the text editor NOW, it instantly is converted into a titled, clickable hotlink. Just for example, here is just a bare URL for a YouTube video:

Kilauea Eruption Day Four - Rising Lava Lake Update (Dec. 24, 2020) - YouTube

The hotlinked text you see there is exactly how it appears in the text editor the moment I paste the URL. It's even a blue link IN the text editor itself! And of course because the text editor is converting it to a hotlink behind the scenes, the board software won't "recognize" it as a YouTube video and convert the URL to a playable video when I hit post.

I can't do anything with URLs on my own anymore. I can't make my own images or hotlinked text or post videos and get them to show up as actual videos without using the buttons at the top of the editor. Is this something that's only happening to me, or is anyone else having to deal with this? Was it a forum software upgrade? I mean there's workarounds but It's a little annoying.

Kamilah Hauptmann

A bit of a wanker
SL Rez
When it’s being a pain I click the cog in the tool bar to turn off the wysiwyg formatting.

Random test link: Jesus getting COVID.

Didn’t fill in the details until I Previewed.

Safari on iOS.

Add: the unfurl screwed itself on posting. Weird.

And now unscrewed. Weird.

Free

Antifa-tigued
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Like Kamilah, I also don't see any auto-features occur until I preview or post (Chrome on Windows 10).

Dakota, what browser are you using?

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
Like Kamilah, I also don't see any auto-features occur until I preview or post (Chrome on Windows 10).
Same here, Chrome on Linux.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
I use Edge normally; but just for an experiment I'm making this post on Vivaldi and the same thing happens - I post a bare URL, and the text box turns it into a titled hotlink.

Clicking the gear button to turn off BBCode when I post the URL does stop the auto-parsing from happening. I guess I'll just have to leave it off - although that means apparently missing out on stuff like draft save.

Free

Antifa-tigued
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I use Edge normally; but just for an experiment I'm making this post on Vivaldi and the same thing happens - I post a bare URL, and the text box turns it into a titled hotlink.
Weird.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts

Clicking the gear button to turn off BBCode when I post the URL does stop the auto-parsing from happening. I guess I'll just have to leave it off - although that means apparently missing out on stuff like draft save.
That actually pretty well describes the behavior the text editor used to have for me. I would have to click the gear button to turn it green to post URLs. That issue somehow fixed itself for me a few months or so ago though.

Spirits Rising

Voice of Reason/Quite Blunt
SL Rez
Joined SLU
08/24/2014
SLU Posts
Testing using Dakota's own link above: Vivaldi on Linux:

Brave on Linux:

And without having to do anything, the link works as intended - No hyperlinking in the editor when in normal mode and the lnk gets parsed after post into a video.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
Chrome on Linux, BBCode On (gear white):

SL Rez
SLU Posts
Normal paste without me adding any bbcode, bbcode button on, video shows up after preview/post on Windows Chrome.

SL Rez
SLU Posts
Normal paste without me adding any bbcode, bbcode button on, video shows up after preview/post on Windows Firefox 81.