Linden Research just sold itself to an investment firm

Monica Dream

Jesus -he knows me ...and he knows I'm right!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2010
SLU Posts
Despite Waterfield's claim 'We prefer basic businesses with a few years of proven, conservative growth. We avoid companies that are growing too fast. We believe slow and steady makes the race... ' There's been no real growth for years and the addiction that in the past would've driven this to be at page 100 after 2 days but is only at page 2, kinda demonstrates that the magic that gave it the crack like addictive properties is well gone.
ooof...
yeah.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Couldbe Yue

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
I would not be surpised if the new benevolent overlords dumped Tilia and handed everything on to an aleady established 3rd party company like paypal within the next few years...

I begin to wonder how Ebbe will fare - after all LL's financial problems came under his watch - if he keeps a position in high standing under the new owners it will begin to smell like an inside job.

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Well there is one thing we could think. Maybe the CEO of the company that bought us might just be a SL lover.....
Most people who get to the millionair status, did not get there by playing around with their money.
And if they come to a financial status where they can afford to buy big boy toys, they buy something with status, things they could impress the fellow jet setters with, like a football club or a racing team. SL? Nah, not so much.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Archer

Monica Dream

Jesus -he knows me ...and he knows I'm right!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2010
SLU Posts
Most people who get to the millionair status, did not get there by playing around with their money.
And if they come to a financial status where they can afford to buy big boy toys, they buy something with status, things they could impress the fellow jet setters with, like a football club or a racing team. SL? Nah, not so much.
>implying the money isn't inherited

>implying they didn't marry into money

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
The first word in my post: Most.
That means: not all.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
So, are we blowing up in panic mode yet?

• 1burn
  • 1Scared
Reactions: Clara D. and Khamon

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Nah. I'm leery, but it's not like the acquisition was a debt-leveraged buyout. It's not a Toys R Us situation.

• 1Interesting
Reactions: Monica Dream

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
I'm cautiously optimistic, if they actually have a record of buy-and-hold that fits one of the standard investment portfolio packages - the low-risk kind that goes for wealth preservation and "parking" of temporary capital with utilities, government bonds and so forth. Even if Tilia doesn't pan out SL's not losing money, and SL will at least hang around another 2 or 3 years before it gets foisted on somebody else.

• 1Like

nebula

NOPE
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I would be sad to lose all the free money sl prints for me.

• 1Eggplant
Reactions: Khamon

bubblesort

A quick google search gives me mixed feelings about this. Oberwager looks like a typical silicon valley entrepreneur, but Waterfield looks like he may be a vulture. Hard to tell if that just means Oberwager has better PR than Waterfield, though. I guess we will find out what their intentions are soon enough.

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
Is it just me or did others percieve a connectivity performance drop since the sale too? I mean I can barely move anymore...

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Is it just me or did others percieve a connectivity performance drop since the sale too? I mean I can barely move anymore...

For me, the Bellisseria continent has loading problems since months. Always a lot of grey after log in for minutes at times.
IMHO the moles are overdoing with scenery and use way too much 1024 x 1024 textures.
Moving is no problem for me.
Most other sims I visit do just great lag wise, even with high performance settings.

• 1Agree

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Since the sale? No.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Clara D.

RealVioletWitch

Randomly Awkward
SL Rez
so i dunno if this is related, but a few (many?) years ago there was this thing where if you had group owned land, and for whatever reason the group didn't have enough tier to cover the land... absolutely nothing happened. At one point there was a loophole where you could see land contributions for groups you weren't in, & you could like, report groups who were 'cheating' by holding land they weren't paying for? But they fixed that loophole. cos like they didn't wanna know about that lol. but they never did anything to make groups pay for their land.

we started testing this like... ages ago. we made a new group, used it to buy some land, then removed all the tier & like... years went by. in the end we sold all the land cos other people wanted it.

anyways, some time ago (like 2 years?) we ran into a money problem & pulled tier on our main group's land. and forgot about it. we hadn't even logged into SL in 6 months. today we got an email. they finally 'noticed' & said we had to tier up or lose the land.

I can't help wonder if it's related. new owners or whatever, & suddenly LL is looking for all these little loopholes etc that they've ignored for years.

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
I can't help wonder if it's related. new owners or whatever, & suddenly LL is looking for all these little loopholes etc that they've ignored for years.
Maybe the Linden in charge was fearing they might be on the "soon to be layd off" list and just wanted some quick positive results...

• 1Like
Reactions: RealVioletWitch

peteratsecondlife

SL hasn't been the same ever since. If this is how Tilia treats its customers then I feel sorry for them. Under LL there was lag and we hated it. Ever since the fools at Tilia took over, the lag in SL has been MARKEDLY worse-- HORRID even. Maybe that other post was right. It wouldn't surprise me if Tilia GUTTED SL for every last dime and then threw it away-- an empty husk.

WolfEyes

Well known member no one knows
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SL hasn't been the same ever since. If this is how Tilia treats its customers then I feel sorry for them. Under LL there was lag and we hated it. Ever since the fools at Tilia took over, the lag in SL has been MARKEDLY worse-- HORRID even. Maybe that other post was right. It wouldn't surprise me if Tilia GUTTED SL for every last dime and then threw it away-- an empty husk.
Tilia doesn't own SL. Tilia is a subsidiary of LL. LL was purchased by investors, not it's own subsidiary.