Linden Lab Expected to Launch Sansar on Steam Today

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
LL lays out their goal with amazing aplomb, considering that there are some glaring holes in their plan.
Given those improvements, we believe we are quickly approaching the point where we want to start bringing a large number of users onto the platform. This is an important milestone for us and especially our creators. One of the foundational principles of Sansar is that creators must be able to profit from their creations. For us to make that a reality, we need to give our creators a large audience of customers.
At least they had the honesty to say they "want" to deliver large numbers of users rather than claiming they "can" do that.

A million people could traipse through the Sansar experiences and never spend a dime. Because there's simply no reason to do so. It's a museum, and no matter how much I enjoy walking through a museum, I'm not going to purchase cosplay accessories for a 20-minute walk through a landscape I visit once. The default avatar and a free set of clothes is all you need to look around each experience.

I'm not going to buy trees, fences, buildings, or furniture to create my own playhouse when there's nothing much to do in that space.

The central economic premise for Sansar -- that people will buy products just because they are there -- is a fail. Traffic is not the key element. Participation is the key, but that's exactly the aspect of Sansar that is least developed.

Noodles

☑️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
So, I forget for sure, was SL on Steam briefly?

I know Patterns was.

Chin Rey

Lag fighter
SL Rez
Linden Lab is expected to launch Sansar on Steam today (Wednesday). But will the move entice more users to try Sansar?
Of course it will. But "try" is the keyword there. WIll any of them stay? I think even the most die-hard Sansar enthusiast wil have to agree that gamers aren't exactly the target group Sansar is aiming for.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Sid

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Of course it will. But "try" is the keyword there. WIll any of them stay? I think even the most die-hard Sansar enthusiast wil have to agree that gamers aren't exactly the target group Sansar is aiming for.
You are correct. This is apparently the target group Sansar is aiming for (gyrations suspended):

Do people with Steam accounts have the ability to track number of downloads or such?

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
I see calendar blurbs about events - live music, and I think I recently saw an ad for a standup comedy show with some featured guests. I would say the beginnings of interaction are there; development just needs to continue.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Beebo Brink

Fauve Aeon

🌽🐍Mostly Jellicle...🐍🌽
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Not sure of date/postcount
Well as far as cash outs/profits, this policy in place until mid-2019 might be more than a bit of a buzzkill for creators...

Processing US dollar credit

eku zhong

Zhonging along.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Mar 2009
SLU Posts
I see calendar blurbs about events - live music, and I think I recently saw an ad for a standup comedy show with some featured guests. I would say the beginnings of interaction are there; development just needs to continue.
it would have to be standup because you cant fucking sit, can you.

Fauve Aeon

🌽🐍Mostly Jellicle...🐍🌽
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Not sure of date/postcount
it would have to be standup because you cant fucking sit, can you.
I guess if one were motivated, custom rigged avatar with chairpants and a never-ending sit dance could allow people to take the load off until sitting is supported? 😹

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Hmm. :hellokitty:

EDIT: Oh, shit. Steam embed...

Chin Rey

Lag fighter
SL Rez
Wow, the shills seem to be out in force in the steam reviews.
What do you mean? Just because somebody by sheer coincidence happens to be an early Sansar beta tester and never has posted a review on Steam before doesn't neccessarily mean hey aren't unbiased.

Daniel Voyager

Wow, the shills seem to be out in force in the steam reviews.
A rather shocking review by Ronin.

"I just started this game up for the first time, my friend and I saw that there was a game being ran in a zone created by one of the developers of Sansar. We thought cool, we can go hang with the developers and see what this is about. But before we could do that we were both kicked from the server constantly without any explanation. Definitely not a good way to introduce a potential new player base into your game. I can't possibly recommend a social game with a developer team this rude."

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer

RyanSchultz

Social VR/Virtual Worlds Blogger
A rather shocking review by Ronin.

"I just started this game up for the first time, my friend and I saw that there was a game being ran in a zone created by one of the developers of Sansar. We thought cool, we can go hang with the developers and see what this is about. But before we could do that we were both kicked from the server constantly without any explanation. Definitely not a good way to introduce a potential new player base into your game. I can't possibly recommend a social game with a developer team this rude."
Sounds like a troll to me.

RyanSchultz

Social VR/Virtual Worlds Blogger
Linden Lab better have a SWAT team ready to handle and respond to negative reviews on Steam. Some of the thumbs-down reviews for High Fidelity are downright NASTY.