Linden Lab acquires CasperTech in Second Life

Noodles

☑️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
Seems legit. I've always wondered why they didn't acquire a land rental system and incorporate it into the client. Did I just run the rail into a wall?
Maybe they don't want to upset in world creators too much with competing official systems.

• 1LOL
Reactions: Khamon

Noodles

☑️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
Which competition? Only one which comes into my mind is Hippo, and this has been shut down five years ago.
I guess I just assumed there was some competition.

When Inhad in world stores I just used the built in sell function or a custom script with sales tracking to Google Docs.

WolfEyes

Well known member no one knows
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Hippo has been gone a longer than 5 years. Hippo died [imo] when Andy Enfield sold it prior to 2016.

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I am posting naked but for a modern concern. LL use Caspervend to distribute premium gifts; there also used to be a store where premiums could claim copies of previous gifts. Does anybody know if that still exists and, if so, where it is?
but my question though

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
There used to be a storefront where Premium residents could pick up previous gifts but I can't remember where it was.

WolfEyes

SL Rez
Joined SLU
There used to be a storefront where Premium residents could pick up previous gifts but I can't remember where it was.
Take a closer look at the images on that page. See the signs that say "Visit our redelivery location"? I bet if you clicked the sign it would take you where you need to go.

I think LL removed all premium gifts redelivery kiosks from "private" stores long ago.

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Thank You. Clicking one of those signs give me a landmark for where the sign is. I tried each of the pair at three delivery locations. I appreciate the answer. I wonder why they removed the vendors; nm; Linden Lab.

Last edited:
  • 1Hug
Reactions: WolfEyes

WolfEyes

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Thank You. Clicking one of those signs give me a landmark for where the sign is. I tried each of the pair at three delivery locations. I appreciate the answer. I wonder why they removed the vendors; nm; Linden Lab.
I don't have a clue. I haven't been able to afford premium since 2006 so I don't keep up with all of the happenings. Just the ones where they try to pull stuff like take away groups from basics and give double that number to premiums. You know. The usual attempts to make people spend all thier money so they're broke all the time.

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
I guess I just assumed there was some competition
Casper's competition was Hippo. But since Hippo went out of business, there's not really anything else on the grid which comes even near its functionality.

And as we know Linden Lab has the tendency to buy stuff, which tends to get too big/important for the grid to fail, like XStreetSL, so - even tougher to make a new competition again. It's another welcome income source for LL, and one area less where normal scripters now can shine.

Also reaching the level of customer experience which Casper offers is not done easily, since it is a really broad system nowadays.

Of course people could use other vendors, but if these do rely on external stuff, it's also an uncertain bet that this supplier will be still around in 5 years or more. It happened enough times some vendor suppliers vanished, rendering their systems pretty much useless. Casper now on the other hand is here to stay as long as SL exists.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Caete

Caete

Scientist Lady of Science
SL Rez
Casper's competition was Hippo. But since Hippo went out of business, there's not really anything else on the grid which comes even near its functionality.

And as we know Linden Lab has the tendency to buy stuff, which tends to get too big/important for the grid to fail, like XStreetSL, so - even tougher to make a new competition again. It's another welcome income source for LL, and one area less where normal scripters now can shine.

Also reaching the level of customer experience which Casper offers is not done easily, since it is a really broad system nowadays.

Of course people could use other vendors, but if these do rely on external stuff, it's also an uncertain bet that this supplier will be still around in 5 years or more. It happened enough times some vendor suppliers vanished, rendering their systems pretty much useless. Casper now on the other hand is here to stay as long as SL exists.
Sadly there are more stores than you'd think in world that still have signs up for XstreetSL. Based on their offerings, they've not heard of mesh yet.

• 1Agree
Reactions: CronoCloud Creeggan

Andi

Luskwood Staff
SL Rez
Joined SLU
11-04-2010
SLU Posts
after the hippo dude "I lost everything because I did not have backups of my rackspace server" fiasco, I had offered to take what he had left for a price, he blocked me and then banned me from the hippo site he had left, oh well his loss, I offered btw 3k usd for a dead product, so could least keep it on life support for those of us still using it. but I moved on to casper, I await to see what this brings about fully now that the lab has thier hands in the pie.

• 1Hug
Reactions: Monica Dream

Noodles

☑️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
Sadly there are more stores than you'd think in world that still have signs up for XstreetSL. Based on their offerings, they've not heard of mesh yet.
I sometimes wish LL had some miles who would patril around and maybe, encourage some of these folks to update a bit.

Mostly because often these are probably lifetime accounts running in Zombie mode for users who never log in anymore if they even have sales, sitting on prime real estate.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Caete